PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Finance homepage - Peter Schiff is wrong?

qh4dotcom
03-23-2009, 10:06 AM
http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/article/216235/Are-Peter-Schiff-and-the-Gold-Bugs-Wrong-Again;_ylt=Ap__CqDdy9rWJCQ23Zvq5l67YWsA?tickers=^g spc,GLD,GDX,UUP,UDN?sec=topStories&pos=9&asset=TBD&ccode=TBD

We really enjoy the critique of guys like Peter Schiff, who slam our system of banking. But in terms of using his philosophy as investment advice, it's dicey, since he's been saying the same thing for years and the collapse hasn't happened yet.

Matt Stiles, who writes at Stockhouse.com, who also happens to identify with the Austrian School of economics, argues why these hyperinflation fears are way overblown, and why we won't see a Zimbabwe scenario here:

It is often said that we live with a "fiat currency" or with "paper money." This is not entirely accurate. A very small portion of our total supply of money and credit is in the form of physical currency. It depends on how you count it, but regardless, it is under 10% of the total. This is what differentiates our monetary system with that of Zimbabwe or Weimar Germany circa 1920's. Their economies were based on nearly 100% physical currency because nobody would accept the promises of government in order to issue credit.

The vast majority of our money supply is in the form of electronic credit. Electronic credit can be destroyed, while physical notes issued by a central bank cannot. This is why deflation is possible in a credit based monetary system, but not in a paper based monetary system.

JoshLowry
03-23-2009, 10:14 AM
It's coming. Printing trillions out of the air should do it. The water is being pulled back into the ocean and it just looks like deflation.

The tsunami isn't here yet.

FrankRep
03-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Just wait until the Gold price suppression pops.

He Who Pawns
03-23-2009, 10:39 AM
This is like someone living in a house that is appreciating in "value" 25% for five years in a row. They are thinking, "Well I see no evidence that this is a bubble....the price keeps rising." But anyone looking at the situation long term knows where that story is going to end.

Epic
03-23-2009, 10:55 AM
If everyone read Mish, we'd have a lot less of this silliness.

Yes, the dollar will hold up (vs. foreign currencies). And yes, gold will do just fine.

Schiff: right on gold, wrong on the dollar. Expect that score to continue. In a fiat world, deflationary credit unraveling overwhelms inflationary monetary measures.

smithtg
03-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Here's the author's background - LETS ALL TAKE ADVICE FROM A UNQUALIFIED 26 YEAR OLD. Stick with Mish and Schiff comeon!

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Matt Stiles

First and foremost, I have absolutely zero qualifications from recognized financial institutions, nor do I have a degree in business, economics or anything for that matter. All of my education in this field has been done on my own. I am 26 years old and I was born in Vancouver, Canada. I have traveled to 21 countries worldwide, having spent large amounts of time in New Zealand, Mexico, Germany, Chile, Australia, and Southeast Asia. I am a communicable speaker of German and can usually find my way in Spanish. I am a formerly competitive tennis player (not too late for a comeback!), and I enjoy doing anything outdoors. I spend a lot of time on my own fitness, I enjoy watching my favorite sports teams (namely the Canucks), and I try to spend as much time as possible with friends and family. I identify most with the Austrian Theory of Economics and Libertarian politics. I have no religious affiliation. I am currently working full-time on my own investment portfolio.

Epic
03-23-2009, 11:02 AM
It appears that Stiles is of the Mish mold (by the way, I wouldn't say this Stiles guy is "unqualified" just cause he hasn't been indoctrinated in keynesianism in "elite" universities). It appears that the deflation/inflation debate is separating the Austrian community.

But both camps agree on gold. So the article's title makes little sense.