PDA

View Full Version : Isn't Walter Block's solution to pollution very similar to Cap and Trade??

socialize_me
03-22-2009, 10:42 PM
I've been watching Walter Block through various interviews, and he makes some very excellent points on environmentalism and the marketplace; however, one part trips me up every time and he seems to never delve deeper into this issue (I'm sure he may in one of his books, but I don't have any of his books :P). He brings up that polluters could compete for a fixed amount of pollution allowed annually. This fixed amount would be what society finds appropriate, say, 100 kilotons or something for a state, and that polluters would bid for a certain share of that 100 kilotons and they could pollute up to that point.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a hell of a lot like Cap and Trade is it not?? The Government sets a pollution level, polluters can bid for a share of that pollution level, etc. etc. It seems strange to me that an Austrian Economist would be advocating a policy as this one, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding his point. Anyone care to clarify?

danberkeley
03-23-2009, 12:38 AM
i remember that video. that was way back when he wasnt an an-cap yet. im sure he doesnt hold that view anymore. btw, you should email him about it.

socialize_me
03-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Ohhh okay..makes sense now...do you know what his view is now??

jmlfod87
03-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Most anarcho-capitalists have come to realize global warming is bullshit, i'm sure he is one of them.

danberkeley
03-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Ohhh okay..makes sense now...do you know what his view is now??

He's an an-cap, so polluters wouldnt have the right to violate poperty rights. Factories would have to filter the air coming out of smokestacks. Look up "scrubbers". Also, about homesteading, someone could homestead an area for dumping trash or releasing air. Keep watching/listeniong the Walter Block videos/audios. You'll eventually get to this.

danberkeley
03-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Most anarcho-capitalists have come to realize global warming is bullshit, i'm sure he is one of them.

The UN decided Global Warming existed by voting on it.