PDA

View Full Version : I think next week could be make-or-break

DjLoTi
05-31-2007, 10:47 PM
People are hearing about it. People are paying attention.

It's been over 2 weeks since the last debate, and the momentum seems to be waining.

I think the next debate is going to be important to general public awareness. I think it's great that Ron Paul will appear on The Daily Show 1 day before. That should strengthen the base of the young, opinionated and 'hip' supporters.

Can you see the ducks falling in a row?

The Daily Show, with it's first new episode in a week, will have Ron Paul on monday. Then, with the young people getting hyped and chattering, the debate happens the next day.

Following the debate, there will be lots of talk on the news (CNN, C-SPAN) about the debates and (hopefully) Ron Paul will once again make some splashes. Hopefully he gets even *MORE* attention then the amount he received after the 2nd debate.

And *just* as the media talk starts to die down, Ron Paul goes on the Colbert Report.

Next week is make-or-break. Ron Paul already stands out, but he's going to need to shine in the next debate. It's going to be tough, with the competition already aware of Ron Paul's grassroots fame. I pray it works out.

It's TV drama that really hits my heart! lol

Bradley in DC
05-31-2007, 10:58 PM
stands out, but he's going to need to shine in the next debate. It's going to be tough, with the competition already aware of Ron Paul's grassroots fame. I pray it works out.

It's TV drama that really hits my heart! lol

The competition is still in denial that we exist--and that's fine for now. I like the element of surprise.:D

DjLoTi
05-31-2007, 11:02 PM
The competition is still in denial that we exist

I hope so, really.. :)

KingTheoden
05-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Remember, we have six months left in 2007 and then some time before the first primary. While it is not as long as it might seem, we have to consider that there will be 'dry' periods. I do agree that it is very important to use the debate to elevate Dr. Paul to the level of top contenders. Critical to his showing is to demonstrate to conservatives that they should support him, not the establishment candidates because there is nothing conservative about borrowing billions of dollars to finance a grossly unpopular and unsuccessful war.

As I see it, the next variable to the equation is money. He needs it. A whole hella lot. If he can have another strong showing, he could be able to raise quite a bit of money, much more so than the non-front runners. Much of Tancredo's support could fold into Dr. Paul or CFR Thompson; another cartoonish act by Tancredo and I see this as a fait accompli. T. Thompson, Gilmore, and Huckabee were marginal candidates and will fade quickly. Brownback risks losing support to Paul and F. Thompson, just like Tancredo.

Dr. Paul can win but only if we commit for the long range win. It is a long campaign ahead of us and we have to show we have the stamina that the other campaigns will buy with their elite monies.

xcalybur
05-31-2007, 11:25 PM
I agree that next week is make or break. There isn't another debate for a long time after next week and unless he gains a downhill momentum it won't roll into the giant snowball. The way we win is getting the vast majority of the american people to at least look at Ron Paul. He can't play the game of the politicians/candidates where they pander to the political elite and they coast through the primaries. The election doesn't really start in terms of the joe blow public until after it is a two person race. Ron Paul can't play those games. He has to get the snowball rolling down the hill.

LibertyEagle
06-01-2007, 03:20 AM
Not necessarily for the debate, but perhaps for subsequent interviews, I sincerely wish he'd come up with a very good group of statements that not only embody his belief that our national security would be heightened by minding our own business, but how HE would go about hunting down bin Laden and Al Qaeda. Right now, too many are seeing him as soft on national defense and that is not good. People are still scared and if we have another bomb threat, that's ALL they will be thinking about. Ron needs to show his toughness on terrorism and just criticizing what the actions have been thus far. He needs to show his gravitas.

BuddyRey
06-01-2007, 03:33 AM
The competition is still in denial that we exist--and that's fine for now. I like the element of surprise.:D

Hehehe! That's the spirit!

Marc Scott Emery
06-01-2007, 03:50 AM
The Ron Paul train is just getting going. Its in the blogosphere that the momentum is slowing --- because the MSM and celebrity media are discovering Ron Paul! Thank you, internet advocates of liberty.

Dr. Paul is a bona fide political star now. Congressman Paul has been validated by Bill Maher, The View, Jack Cafferty (CNN - Situation Room), and Daily Show appearances where both hosts and audiences show visceral support for Ron Paul. It has moved out of cyberspace in the last 15-days and into the body politic and the BIG NETWORK's huge audiences.

Today, on the eve of New Hampshire and Dr. Paul's Daily Show appearance, Dr. Paul is going prime time. Ron Paul is a player, in the debates, in raising cash, in getting positive media, in influencing America. It is no longer wishful thinking to believe that Dr. Paul can raise $10 million by December. I'm sure he's added half a million in the last two weeks. And supporters of Ron Paul are repeat givers because they are repeadedly impressed. Ron Paul is living up to our most lofty expectations. You can be totally proud of Ron Paul and his OBVIOUS integrity.

Its going to be a great summer.

Marc Scott Emery
06-01-2007, 04:02 AM
Not necessarily for the debate, but perhaps for subsequent interviews, I sincerely wish he'd come up with a very good group of statements that not only embody his belief that our national security would be heightened by minding our own business, but how HE would go about hunting down bin Laden and Al Qaeda. Right now, too many are seeing him as soft on national defense and that is not good. People are still scared and if we have another bomb threat, that's ALL they will be thinking about. Ron needs to show his toughness on terrorism and just criticizing what the actions have been thus far. He needs to show his gravitas.

You shouldn't exagerrate the impression of people believing Dr. Paul would leave America undefended. 99.9% of the voting public is only now, in the last few months and weeks, learning about Congressman Paul and his many ideas, which are very new, and possibly complex to the uninitiated (the 99.9%).

It takes time for people to feel comfortable with a man proposing surprising new ideas (however much they make sense). As they hear Mr. Paul's message (and they, once exposed, will pay closer attention to Dr. Paul afterward), voters will understand its one very consistent and rational package of ideas you buy into with Mr. Paul. They will grow comfortable with his obvious sincerity and integrity. But that doesn't happen with a few brief interviews. It can happen over 7 months however, now that Dr. Paul has made a very substantial advancement in the 31 days of May. I say Dr. Paul keeps on being Dr. Paul. I haven't seen a MSM interview with Representative Paul I didn't like. He is so likeable and obvious, educated and sensitive and great with people. His 10 year track record is one faithful valentine to the Bill of Rights. What's not to like!

DjLoTi
06-01-2007, 06:11 AM
I think that because so many people who did not hear him or pay attention during the first two debates will be paying attention to this third debate, it is important for him to really shine. If he doesn't shine during the next debate, it's going to turn a lot of people off.

Personally, I can't see how Ron Paul couldn't shine while someone else does, but the fact remains that the future is always uncertain. I think we all know that a great 3rd debate would be a *huge* push for the campaign, and *much* more people would be simply convinced that there's no other person they'd want for president.

I agree with the 'dry' periods, but because it's so early, I think it's important that we strike the iron while it's hot. Since all the Ron supporters are generating attention, ' all eyes on Ron ' as the phrase goes. If we blow it out of the water next week, I could literally see Ron surge into a solid and competitive 3rd place candidate even by the (oh so unbiased) MSM. I really hope he does well, because that'll make it much easier to promote him :)

tnvoter
06-01-2007, 06:18 AM
Remember, we have six months left in 2007 and then some time before the first primary. While it is not as long as it might seem, we have to consider that there will be 'dry' periods. I do agree that it is very important to use the debate to elevate Dr. Paul to the level of top contenders. Critical to his showing is to demonstrate to conservatives that they should support him, not the establishment candidates because there is nothing conservative about borrowing billions of dollars to finance a grossly unpopular and unsuccessful war.

As I see it, the next variable to the equation is money. He needs it. A whole hella lot. If he can have another strong showing, he could be able to raise quite a bit of money, much more so than the non-front runners. Much of Tancredo's support could fold into Dr. Paul or CFR Thompson; another cartoonish act by Tancredo and I see this as a fait accompli. T. Thompson, Gilmore, and Huckabee were marginal candidates and will fade quickly. Brownback risks losing support to Paul and F. Thompson, just like Tancredo.

Dr. Paul can win but only if we commit for the long range win. It is a long campaign ahead of us and we have to show we have the stamina that the other campaigns will buy with their elite monies.

We have to show the conservatives and republicans how they have been lied to - The sitting Congress in general Has increased government and spending, and the border is rampidly insecure -- WE MUST ELECT SOMEONE PROVEN HONEST LIKE RON PAUL.

dude58677
06-01-2007, 08:22 AM
You have to also consider that Wolf Blitzer is going to be askng the questions at the next debate and he has been friendly to Ron Paul and it is also in New Hampshire, Ron Paul has the home field advantage on this one.

Ron Paul making a speech on the 4th of July would electrify America, esp when people have patriotism and the founding fathers on their minds and they see Ron Paul as founding father material who is running for President.

Bradley in DC
06-01-2007, 09:07 AM
I agree that next week is make or break.

Not at all. As incredible as it is to comprehend for us, most people aren't focusing on this election at all yet. Most polls are a reflection of name ID (and we have work to do here). Then again, "most people" will not be voting in the primaries. Dr. Paul has committed, loyal supporters who are going to turn out to support him, rain or shine (or sleet or earthquake or ...).

It isn't until Labor Day that the campaign season traditionally even starts! Yes, we're all excited here, but we are the small minority of people actually even paying attention to all of this.

We have our work cut out for us, but we have time. Patience young grasshopper.

lucky
06-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Agree with the one that said it before. Ron Paul needs money and lots of it. And since he will probably never get the amount the front runners have he will need to be smart and spend it wisely.

It is still a long way off and he just needs to stay consistent as we know he will. There should come a time eventually when the mainstream press will have to aknowledge Ron Paul and then that will be only part of the battle.

The main battle is with the heads of the GOP in each of the states that the primaries are held in. These seem to be in thrall or the pocket of the same old tired leaders so far. These are the ones that we will have to force to see our way but they have no reason to let as Ron Paul is barely registering.

Slow but steady progress will achieve the results we want. I am not known for patience myself and understand the ones here that feel the same.