PDA

View Full Version : Idea: A Campaign showing support online, AND Financially?

danda
05-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Hi, I was just thinking about how to spread the word online about Ron Paul and show support for him. I've just seen the "Campaign Buttons" website, and I think that is a really great start, and we should all add a button to our individual websites, blogs, myspace, etc. If you haven't seen the website, check out:

http://titanmiller.no-ip.org/ronpaul/

I would like to start a discussion about how we can further this effort and achieve a maximum effect in terms of raising awareness. So my thoughts are detailed below, I hope people will reply with more brainstorming.

------

It is very important that we put on a strong showing for Ron Paul all across the internet. If we make him #1 in cyberspace and the talk of the net, that *will* spill over into the offline world eventually.

Campaigns such as the EFF's blue ribbon campaign have shown that these images can help raise awareness.
See http://www.eff.org/br/

But I would propose we take this further than one simple type of button:

Consider that many (most?) bloggers and many websites now display Google Adwords, and receive money for this. Textual advertising is a giant industry, fueling much of the "web 2.0" economy and the blog-o-sphere.

Therefore, I would propose that we create 3 colors/types of buttons/images:

1) White/BasicSupport. I support Ron Paul and plan to vote for him. This is a basic button like has already been created.

2) Bronze/QuarterPledge. I support Ron Paul, *and I pledge 25% of my Google Adwords monies to his campaign.*

3) Silver/HalfPledge. I support Ron Paul, *and I pledge 50% of my Google Adwords monies to his campaign.*

3) Gold/HalfPledge. I support Ron Paul, *and I pledge 100% of my Google Adwords monies to his campaign.*

I think that having this type of system would accomplish three things:

1) Anyone can place a white button for free. So we are publically (and hopefully widely) showing our support.

2) The Ron Paul campaign makes money from the bronze, silver, and gold supporters. And basically all that money is sponsored by google from people clicking on ads around the net.

3) It demonstrates to the world that Ron Paul supporters are deeply committed and are putting their money where there mouth is. This is a very public way to demonstrate widespread support. And that is what we want to fuel, a groundswell of support.

--------------------------

Further thoughts:

1) I think we need a dedicated domain for this effort. Something like RonPaulAdvocacy.org, RonPaulRevolution.org, RonPaulAwareness.org, or RonPaulSupporters.org

( My apologies if any of those are already taken )

I'm happy to pay for the domain and create the website.

2) The Ron Paul campaign *could* host this, but i think it may actually be more effective if this is an independent/site entity that is promoting contributions to his campaign. It has more of a "grass roots"feel to it. Also, it seems somehow "bigger" to me when there is a dedicated domain/site for this, and not just a sup-page of the official RP site.

3) I think that perhaps the button should contain imagery linking Ron Paul to the constitution. Perhaps "We the people..." text. Or even a representation of the declaration of Independence, which is a pretty familiar image to many people. I'd love to hear more ideas in this area. Also, if you are an artist and want to take a stab at this, I'd be grateful, as my graphics skills are not exactly professional grade.

4) I think a button is better than a ribbon. These days, I think many people associate a ribbon with supporting the war. Also, a button is clearly indicative of supporting a candidate.

5) I'd be happy to work with the "Campaign Buttons" website, or to start from scratch. Whichever works best. Probably best to unite our efforts, right?

-------

Note: If we go ahead with this idea, I plan to get a google adwords account for a couple of my websites (including http://ronpaulplanet.org ) and pledge 100% support.

------

So what do you think? Good idea? Unnecessary? Already been done? What would you suggest for improving it? thanks!

qednick
05-16-2007, 02:05 PM
I used to be a graphic designer in a past life. I can help in my spare time. :)

DrStrabismus
05-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Not sure how you are envisioning the campaign donations happening, but remember individuals can contribute a max of $2,300. I don't know if people would get anywhere near that, but for a really popular site, they may not be able to keep their pledge.

danda
05-16-2007, 07:10 PM
It should be okay though. We'd just say 100% up to a max of $2,300.

danda
05-16-2007, 07:13 PM
I used to be a graphic designer in a past life. I can help in my spare time. :)

That's great gednick. If you have time to work on a concept, I'd love to see what you come up with.

ratsbew
05-16-2007, 08:17 PM
If you haven't seen the website, check out:

http://titanmiller.no-ip.org/ronpaul/

Cool, thanks for plugging my site! I have been looking through my server log and have noticed *at least* 5 sites that have the buttons on them. I don't personally have the bandwidth to host the image files (I do now, but not if these things start popping up all over the place) so if anybody has some spare server assets that we could use it would be great (for the graphics). Part of the intent of the whole project is to distribute the hosting of individual images so that no one person has to contribute too much. Ideally each 'button' will be hosted on a separate Ron Paul supporter's webserver. I'm also looking for more designs, specifically vertical and horizontal banners. That page's Google rank has been as high as the upper 100s so it has the potential to get high visibility.

danda
05-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi Ratsbew. I'm curious what you think of the idea I put forth above, specfically distributing buttons that indicate one's level of pledged ad-clicks support/donations.

Of course, it would have to be explained well to people selecting the buttons, and the button symbolism (contribution level) would need to be obvious to those viewing them. Eg, probably the silver level button would say something like "I pledge 50% of ad-revenues to Ron Paul's campaign!"

The site distributing the buttons should probably collect people's email address, so that the campaign staff can remind them to keep their pledge.

So far the idea doesn't seem to have much support on this forum. Would anyone else like to chime in?

danda
05-28-2007, 03:16 AM
Okay, I've gone ahead with this idea, for better or worse.

The site is up at http://Google4Paul.org

Please see this post for more info:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=10192

DjLoTi
05-28-2007, 03:20 AM
I love your ideas, and that's what I'll be trying to do with RonPaulradio.com

*creating* that 'voice of the internet'

I could definitely use help with designing ect., quenick I will get in touch with you in a couple days because I know almost nothing about designing a web page. I just know I can pay somebody. :-P

BTW --- I love the google4paul idea. :-)

Bro.Butch
06-27-2007, 10:28 AM
The great college football coach Paul W. "BEAR" Bryant said the last five minutes of the second quarter and the first five minutes of the third quarter are the most important part of the game... Fellow RP supporters we are in the final 5 minutes of the second quarter. Will you step up and be a STAR of our game ?

Please DONATE from $5 to $2300 to the campaign. To make your donations the most effective nationally, please do so before June 30. That is the final date of the second quarter for F.E.C. reporting. With a good showing in the money race the media will have to pay attention. The M & Ms of politics are important.

MORE MONEY MEANS MORE MEDIA, MORE MEDIA MEANS MORE MONEY !!!

Any amount can help, yes even $5, $10, $25, $100 adds up, some of you can afford the $2300, will you make a real difference TODAY?

https://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate/

Donate Now to Dr. Paul's Campaign

If you prefer, you can also send contributions by snailmail to the Ron Paul Presidential Campaign...

Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign Committee
837 W. Plantation Dr.
Clute, TX 77531
Make Checks/Money Orders Payable to: "Ron Paul 2008 PCC"
don't forget to include your occupation & employers name (fed.law)

You need to send snailmail today if you want it to reach them by June 30.

Remember, every penny you send will be used to help preserve our future freedom and all future generations !!! Dr. Paul is delivering the message to the masses, let's help him continue the struggle with our donations, THX