PDA

View Full Version : The Obamas plant a vegetable garden in the white house

Dripping Rain
03-21-2009, 12:49 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/03/19/dining/19garden.190.jpg

WASHINGTON — Michelle Obama will begin digging up a patch of the South Lawn on Friday to plant a vegetable garden, the first at the White House since Eleanor Roosevelt’s victory garden in World War II. There will be no beets — the president does not like them — but arugula will make the cut.

Sam Kass, an assistant White House chef, left, and Dale Haney, the White House gardener, at the site of the new vegetable garden on the South Lawn.

While the organic garden will provide food for the first family’s meals and formal dinners, its most important role, Mrs. Obama said, will be to educate children about healthful, locally grown fruit and vegetables at a time when obesity and diabetes have become a national concern.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/dining/20garden.html?_r=1

asimplegirl
03-21-2009, 10:22 PM
This is actually something I think is good. Now if only ALL of us could have a perfectly manicured garden growing perfectly organically grown veggies. :)

Honestly, I like this.

dr. hfn
03-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Obama will MAKE us grow vegetable gardens.

Warrior_of_Freedom
03-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Obama youth initiate operation broccolibama

zach
03-21-2009, 11:22 PM
"Ha, this is what you won't be getting soon!"

jrich4rpaul
03-22-2009, 05:05 AM
Isn't that against some law?

Working Poor
03-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Isn't that against some law?

I have been worried about this as I grow a garden every year. Well if they can do it so can I.

micahnelson
03-22-2009, 06:13 AM
Its nice to be able to say "I support the president's decision."

sevin
03-22-2009, 06:22 AM
I know there are rumors about the government trying to making growing vegetable gardens illegal, but I think they would want us to start growing gardens, that way they can tax away the money we would have spent on food. Maybe Obama is setting an example for us.

RonPaulFanInGA
03-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Obama youth initiate operation broccolibama

http://www.caltechgirlsworld.mu.nu/archives/images/broc_obama_2.jpg

Standing Like A Rock
03-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Mrs. Obama said, will be to educate children about healthful, locally grown fruit and vegetables at a time when obesity and diabetes have become a national concern.

lol, there is the "politically correct" reason for growing the garden

LittleLightShining
03-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Obama will MAKE us grow vegetable gardens.No he won't.

Its nice to be able to say "I support the president's decision."I agree.

lol, there is the "politically correct" reason for growing the garden
I was at a friend's yesterday and was kinda just sitting around watching the kids for a half hour or so and decided to flip through Oprah's magazine with the interview with Michelle Obama. As I was vacuuming this morning I was thinking about what I had read.

Michelle is like (or comes across as) someone every single person who voted for Obama can identify with in some way. So she will set this example while her husband puts people in positions of authority who then will push for laws that threaten the entire organic agriculture industry.

She's damage control.

Mahkato
03-22-2009, 09:05 AM
If Ron Paul were president, Carol would be busy planting a hemp garden in the white house lawn right about now.

dannno
03-22-2009, 11:55 AM
I totally just dug up my lawn, and I have a bunch of sprouts going just like in the picture.. lolz...

No he won't.

Not even at the national service camps?

I was at a friend's yesterday and was kinda just sitting around watching the kids for a half hour or so and decided to flip through Oprah's magazine with the interview with Michelle Obama. As I was vacuuming this morning I was thinking about what I had read.

Michelle is like (or comes across as) someone every single person who voted for Obama can identify with in some way. So she will set this example while her husband puts people in positions of authority who then will push for laws that threaten the entire organic agriculture industry.

She's damage control.

Maybe we should e-mail her when he's about to screw us over.

Working Poor
03-22-2009, 11:59 AM
She's damage control.

None the less it seems like it will do more to help protect the home organic gardener. People need to stand up and and fight for organic foods to.

The people are the ones with the power especially with the food industry. Don't buy junk and they will stop selling it plain and simple huh! Make free enterprise work for goodness sake!

The market is impartial; and only sells what they sell because it makes them money so only buy pure whole foods and the price of real food will go down to meet market demand.

LittleLightShining
03-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Not even at the national service camps?

Maybe we should e-mail her when he's about to screw us over.Maybe at the camps. But I don't think they'll be organic. The detainees will probably be forced to use experimental pesticides and herbicides :eek:

Emailing her might not be a bad idea.

TurtleBurger
03-22-2009, 12:11 PM
At least the Obamas will survive when the SHTF.

JeNNiF00F00
03-22-2009, 12:22 PM
No he won't.

I agree.

She's damage control.

Are you serious? Oprah? The elitist who was responsible for gathering the sheep together and turning them on to this man? M. Obama is CFR. Don't forget that.

danberkeley
03-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Waste of taxpayer money. Btw, Alice Waters uses child labor.

LittleLightShining
03-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Are you serious? Oprah? The elitist who was responsible for gathering the sheep together and turning them on to this man? M. Obama is CFR. Don't forget that.I was at a friend's house. It was her magazine. I had already finished reading the paper... (Should I have to defend myself?) Anyway, I wanted to see what it said. I am well aware of CFR and M and etc. I meant what I said. She's damage control.

devil21
03-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Probably filled with Monsanto-patented genetically engineered sterilized seeds. Tom Vilsack's inauguration gift to the Pres...

LittleLightShining
03-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Probably filled with Monsanto-patented genetically engineered sterilized seeds. Tom Vilsack's inauguration gift to the Pres...Those are for the peons. Michele and the girls get the good stuff.

nayjevin
03-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Urgent! Oppose HR 875 and S. 425 Food 'Safety' 'Modernization' and Tracking: http://tinyurl.com/d6kndf

voytechs
03-22-2009, 03:30 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/03/19/dining/19garden.190.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/dining/20garden.html?_r=1

I think he knows something we don't and he is preparing for it:D

angelatc
03-22-2009, 03:54 PM
This is actually something I think is good. Now if only ALL of us could have a perfectly manicured garden growing perfectly organically grown veggies. :)

Honestly, I like this.

And minions of adoring school children to do the actual laboring.

I like gardens. I really do. But these are the leaders of the elite party that consider people who live in regions that actually grow food in mass quantities to be substandard humans.

RonPaulwillWin
03-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Good job Obama.

Mesogen
03-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Are you serious? Oprah? The elitist who was responsible for gathering the sheep together and turning them on to this man? M. Obama is CFR. Don't forget that.

Also don't forget that Oprah is a tool of Satan.

http://www.google.com/search?q=oprah+satan

RSLudlum
03-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Guess they should've kept Cheney around to keep those pesky wabbits out of the garden. :p

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd96/wonupaboveit/ElmerFudd.jpg

JeNNiF00F00
03-22-2009, 10:20 PM
I was at a friend's house. It was her magazine. I had already finished reading the paper... (Should I have to defend myself?) Anyway, I wanted to see what it said. I am well aware of CFR and M and etc. I meant what I said. She's damage control.

No no no, I'm not attacking you and I apologize for coming off so snappy, but I still don't see how she is damage control. I don't trust her anymore than I do B.

JeNNiF00F00
03-22-2009, 10:28 PM
And minions of adoring school children to do the actual laboring.

I like gardens. I really do. But these are the leaders of the elite party that consider people who live in regions that actually grow food in mass quantities to be substandard humans.

Exactly. But they're "volunteering" and being good servants to the president! :rolleyes:

malkusm
03-22-2009, 10:30 PM
at least the obamas will survive when the shtf.

damn it!

LittleLightShining
03-23-2009, 06:03 AM
No no no, I'm not attacking you and I apologize for coming off so snappy, but I still don't see how she is damage control. I don't trust her anymore than I do B.What I mean is, there are a whole slew of women (my friend included) who really identify with Michelle Obama. And when they read stuff like The Oprah interview that makes a point of showing how normal (White House decor must be kid-fort friendly) and green (I don't feed my kids anything with high fructose corn syrup in it) she is those people will have a hard time reconciling what Obama's doing with how potentially dangerous it is.

We've got these food safety bills (among other things) with all of their diabolical implications yet how can they be bad? Michelle has an organic garden! That's what I mean when I say damage control. I think her role is to keep those folks who would rather not fully digest what's happening (or try to) distracted by her awesomeness-- Because even I felt pretty good about having a woman like her in the White House-- because I can relate to her (or her image), too:eek: