PDA

View Full Version : I've Changed My Mind Somewhat on Beck, Here's Why:

powerofreason
03-21-2009, 10:38 AM
So, I still think Beck is stupid. But thats actually a good thing. Before he realizes it, he will become more and more libertarian. Libertarianism is an evolution. Beck is somewhere near the beginning. Lots of people agree with him at this point, that much is obvious from his ratings. If Beck is like most other people, he will start to realize certain things. Which will lead to even more conclusions. His viewers will be able to evolve with him, little by little. This is actually pretty exciting. I just hope Fox gives him enough leeway to preach real libertarianism, eventually. But I'm hopeful that they will. They're considering putting Anarcho-Capitalist Hour on the air, err I mean Freedom Watch, after all.

The Evolution of Libertarianism, starting from the right and Neo-Conservatism. Depending on how old or stubborn you are you may get stuck somewhere along the way. This is how it went for me, it took me about 2 years roughly, maybe a little more.

Neo-con --> Pro-war fiscal conservative --> Much less pro-war fiscal conservative --> Old Right conservative (loosing the moralism at this point) --> Minarchist --> anarcho-capitalism/voluntaryism

fedup100
03-21-2009, 10:42 AM
So using your rational, we can take 15 year old girls and put them into prostitution to teach them the virtue of abstaining from sex? :eek:

Sorry, the cat will already be out of the bag and the lead bag will be BECK!

Invalid
03-21-2009, 10:43 AM
What do you mean by moralism. That's an interesting flowchart you made.

angelatc
03-21-2009, 10:45 AM
But part of the attraction is the Obama effect. SImply put, everything Obama does is wrong. It stands to reason that every foreign policy move Obama makes will be wrong.

Bush ran on a platform that specifically denounced nation-building and Clinton's aggressive attacks on other countries.

The country is going to swing right again.

tremendoustie
03-21-2009, 10:47 AM

If by moralism he means the support of laws enforcing personal morality, I agree, same here. If he's talking about a belief in morality itself, I of course do not agree.

powerofreason
03-21-2009, 10:48 AM

Believing in controlling other people's non-aggressive behavior. Such as drug use, prostitution, smoking, gambling, or any other activity that society tends to look down upon.

tremendoustie
03-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Believing in controlling other people's non-aggressive behavior. Such as drug use, prostitution, smoking, gambling, or any other activity that society tends to look down upon.

Good, then I agree 100%, except I started with Pro-war fiscal conservative. The process took about a year for me, maybe because I was already pretty libertarian on the fiscal front.

Edit: Also, people haven't responded to your original point, and I think you're right. Assuming Beck keeps an open mind, and keeps evolving, this could be very exciting.

fedup100
03-21-2009, 10:59 AM
No guys you missed the prostitution point. To think we can let Beck educate and lead the masses and they will come round to a true constitutional position is as stupid as my prostitution example.

Turning a girl into a whore will make a whore. Turning the lemmings into the Beck and Faux version of libertarianism will make them Beck and faux libertarians.

Beck and faux will teach them that war and Federal Reserve are good libertarian things. They will also teach Paul and his followers are fringe lunatic libertarians.

Do you really want Beck and faux to do the defining and teaching?

Jeremy
03-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Glenn Beck calls himself dumb all the time.

powerofreason
03-21-2009, 11:06 AM
No guys you missed the prostitution point. To think we can let Beck educate and lead the masses and they will come round to a true constitutional position is as stupid as my prostitution example.

Turning a girl into a whore will make a whore. Turning the lemmings into the Beck and Faux version of libertarianism will make them Beck and faux libertarians.

Beck and faux will teach them that war and Federal Reserve are good libertarian things. They will also teach Paul and his followers are fringe lunatic libertarians.

He's going to do it whether you like it or not.

LandonCook
03-21-2009, 11:08 AM
So, I still think Beck is stupid. But thats actually a good thing. Before he realizes it, he will become more and more libertarian. Libertarianism is an evolution. Beck is somewhere near the beginning. Lots of people agree with him at this point, that much is obvious from his ratings. If Beck is like most other people, he will start to realize certain things. Which will lead to even more conclusions. His viewers will be able to evolve with him, little by little. This is actually pretty exciting. I just hope Fox gives him enough leeway to preach real libertarianism, eventually. But I'm hopeful that they will. They're considering putting Anarcho-Capitalist Hour on the air, err I mean Freedom Watch, after all.

The Evolution of Libertarianism, starting from the right and Neo-Conservatism. Depending on how old or stubborn you are you may get stuck somewhere along the way. This is how it went for me, it took me about 2 years roughly, maybe a little more.

Neo-con --> Pro-war fiscal conservative --> Much less pro-war fiscal conservative --> Old Right conservative (loosing the moralism at this point) --> Minarchist --> anarcho-capitalism/voluntaryism

Agreed! I used to be a selfless Commie, before I turned into an Objectivist Libertarian.

tremendoustie
03-21-2009, 11:09 AM

Enough already with this debate, seriously .... we've been over this 1000 times, people know where they stand.

Most of the people you disagree with are not supporting Beck as any sort of a leader, or sending people to his show, but are just pleasantly suprised at some of the things he's saying.

If you want to, fine, believe he's faking it all, and believes nothing that he says, and it's all an evil conspiracy for some purpose or other.

We'll see one way or aother. No sense bickering about it till then, because there's nothing we can do about it anyway.

ItsTime
03-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Glenn Beck is a terrorist

Invalid
03-21-2009, 11:17 AM
I don't like Rand's Objectivism stuff just because I don't like her attitude and her obsessing over greed.

I like the philosophy of helping others and not being greedy although I can't say I'm not a libertarian. I just don't want to go around thinking like that.

dannno
03-21-2009, 11:36 AM
The Revolution will not be televised.

I'd be pretty surprised if Freedom Watch makes it on there.

Sandra
03-21-2009, 11:40 AM
You could have just posted this into the other one hundred Beck threads. It is in keeping with all of the topics.

powerofreason
03-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Agreed! I used to be a selfless Commie, before I turned into an Objectivist Libertarian.

Thats pretty surprising. I'd think a leftist would stay far away from Objectivism if they were to explore libertarian philosophy. Personally, I don't like Objectivism but I won't get into that since I just bashed it in a 20 page thread lol.

fedup100
03-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Enough already with this debate, seriously .... we've been over this 1000 times, people know where they stand.

Most of the people you disagree with are not supporting Beck as any sort of a leader, or sending people to his show, but are just pleasantly suprised at some of the things he's saying.

If you want to, fine, believe he's faking it all, and believes nothing that he says, and it's all an evil conspiracy for some purpose or other.

We'll see one way or aother. No sense bickering about it till then, because there's nothing we can do about it anyway.

Sorry thought this was a Beck thread. :(

GunnyFreedom
03-21-2009, 11:55 AM
The Revolution will not be televised.

I'd be pretty surprised if Freedom Watch makes it on there.

And if it DOES, will you folk start hating Andrew Napolitano too? :rolleyes:

tremendoustie
03-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Sorry thought this was a Beck thread. :(

I'm just tired of the same back and forth, that's all ...

powerofreason
03-21-2009, 07:55 PM
bump

Anti Federalist
03-21-2009, 08:09 PM
And if it DOES, will you folk start hating Andrew Napolitano too? :rolleyes:

Not at all.

Napolitano has a long list of liberty bona fides, making him much more credible.

Not to mention the fact that his presentation comes off much more professionally, as opposed to the "dry drunk" hysterics and phony self abasement of Glenn Beck.

dr. hfn
03-21-2009, 10:42 PM
why don't we here at this forum buy Beck some much needed books and wrap it up all nice and send it to him!?????????????????????????????????

tremendoustie
03-21-2009, 10:53 PM
why don't we here at this forum buy Beck some much needed books and wrap it up all nice and send it to him!?????????????????????????????????

A good idea.

free.alive
03-22-2009, 02:19 AM
Anarcho-capitalist hour!;)

RonPaulR3VOLUTION
03-22-2009, 07:54 AM
Whether Beck is real or not is mostly irrelevant. The debates were a sham, but does that mean we'd all be better off had Ron Paul not attended?

Ron Paul was willing to show up and work even in the most hostile of environments, and by doing this he was able to accomplish a lot.

Beck has rounded up large numbers of people who can easily be persuaded to support Ron Paul.

What's the alternative? Ignore Beck? How is that helpful? It'd be like telling Ron Paul not to attend the debates.

A lot of these people probably agree with Ron Paul for the most part already - easy pickings. Thanks Beck, even if you are a fraud. :D

Ignore Beck and focus on his supporters who have a genuine thirst for liberty. Simple.

Will Beck do something like push Palin as he is doing right now? Probably. Great, even more reason to show his supporters there are much better options. :D

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/2280/therevolutionbegins.jpg

Liberty Star
03-22-2009, 09:21 AM
So, I still think Beck is stupid. But thats actually a good thing....

Did he apologize on national TV that would suggest that he has changed his views?

Beck: Iraq Withdrawal Would Be ‘America’s Most Shameful Act Of Immorality Since Slavery’

CNN Headline News anchor Glenn Beck said tonight that if America withdraws from Iraq, it “would be America’s most shameful act of immorality since slavery,” adding that congressional war opponents are “just plain stupid” and “can’t see the future.”

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/04/24/beck-slavery/

powerofreason
03-22-2009, 11:11 AM

Well I'm not gonna donate money to a rich man, you could. He will be curious and want to learn more about his new philosophy. Actually, I bet he is already farther along then he appears to be, he's just a bit nervous about sharing his views on national TV. As he gains confidence he will care less what people think of him and just want to share the truth. There was a time for me when I was unsure about my beliefs and not very confident about sharing my views with other people. But now, I'm 100% confident that my philosophy is truth. The voluntary society is the best way for humans to organize, I have zero doubts about it anymore.

Invalid
03-22-2009, 11:44 AM
O'Reilly dirty audio (http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/archives/2009/03/off_with_those.php)

Why not replace him with Beck?

Does this mean we can replace O’Reilly with Beck on prime time Fox?
“Off With Those Pants": Bill O’Reilly Seduces You in Clips From His Dirty Audiobook
“I would like you to unhook your bra and let it slide down your arms. You can keep your shirt on.”
“Say baby, put down that pipe and get my pipe up.”
“Cup your hands under your breasts and hold them for ten seconds.”
“Off with those pants.”

”Cunnilingus involves the lips and tongue.”
“Pipe slow-jam music into your shower!”
“I wish I were a lesbian.”

remix on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eT3zBk9Cg4)
and

second remix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4QA2edcccY)

powerofreason
03-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Wtf?