PDA

View Full Version : What would happen to foreign U.S. embassies under an RP presidency?

Starks
09-17-2007, 02:27 AM
What would happen to them?

katao
09-17-2007, 02:41 AM
My hunch is they would stay, because they serve important diplomatic interests. It would be the foreign military bases that would go.

Lord Xar
09-17-2007, 02:42 AM
not sure anything would happen. Embassies do not denote hostility or intervention. Not sure what you mean as the only thing that would be different, as i would see it is -- no more funding of countries of taxpayer monies and no more emperialism. The embassies would still need to exist to faciliate communication, trade and such.

If you are familiar with Ron Paul you know that he NEVER ADVOCATES isolation, as it seems you are insinuating, but rather OPEN AND FAIR TRADE, and to do that then I don't see much issue with embassies.

maxmerkel
09-17-2007, 02:43 AM
i'd guess nothing - an embassy is a legitimate way to represent the country, have diplomatic contacts with foreign countrys, and help US citizens in remote places.

oh well, maybe he'd downsize the new baghdad embassy a "little bit" ;)

ronpaulhawaii
09-17-2007, 02:57 AM
They would spend less time dealing with protesters

RonPaulCult
09-17-2007, 03:06 AM
Embassies are needed for visas and to assist Americans living abroad. There is nothing wrong with all countries having them in all countries.

I'll tell you what wouldn't happen after Ron Paul becomes president. They won't get bombed!

trispear
09-17-2007, 03:14 AM
I'm sure the only embassy that would be affected, if it isn't completed yet, would be the American embassy in Iraq, which is the size of the Vatican, and will cost about 1 BILLION dollars when all is said and done.

Nefertiti
09-17-2007, 03:16 AM
All I can say is if you had ever been to an American embassy, you wouldn't be asking such a question!

Now, I have my gripes with the American Embassy in Cairo, but I can tell you some of the services it has provided to me in the past:

1. Renewal of my American passport
2. Absentee voting in two presidential elections
3. Notarization of a statement so that I could get married abroad
4. certifying my marriage certificate so that I could use it in the US
5. a library where I was able to check out lots of books about starting an online business when there were't a lot of other sources available
6. processing my husband's visa petition and application
7. 4th of July party for American citizens

Those are pretty mundane services but they often go to extraordinary lengths to help American citizens abroad in bad situations, especially when there are children involved.

foofighter20x
09-17-2007, 03:53 AM
I got my passport from the consulate in Frankfurt. Embassies are necessary.

My only concern is that they keep the USMC populations there under control. Those guys like to get a little rowdy sometimes, you know? ;)