PDA

View Full Version : How to go about getting local signatures to present them to my Congressperson?

Maximilian American
03-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Get a notebook and preface it with a copy of the H.R. 1207 bill to Audit the Federal Reserve and have the signatures follow it? Or is there a more formal way to do this? I will be presenting this to my congressperson in an effort to help convince a co-sponsoring. I live in Florida.

Maximilian American
03-19-2009, 10:25 PM
bump

Maximilian American
03-20-2009, 09:18 AM
bump, anyone have any experience in doing something like this?

LittleLightShining
03-20-2009, 09:24 AM
For every page of signatures you should have a statement of intent. For instance have a copy of the bill and then on each page a statement of "We the undersigned fully support HR1207 and ask that X Representative co-sponsor this bill" or something to that effect.

That said I haven't ever petitioned for legislation before, just causes. Hopefully this will bump your post and a more knowledgeable person will step up with some real advice.

hillertexas
03-20-2009, 09:30 AM
I looked online and i really can't find any formal formatting info...I assume that means that the format is unimportant...but i don't know....sorry.

Austin
03-20-2009, 11:06 AM
I remember doing some research for petitions a little while back. I seem to recall that there is no set format. Though for something like this, it's important to have their address, as it shows that the signer is from the correct congressional district. On the CAN-8 form in Indiana (petition to be placed on the presidential primary ballot), they have the following categories:

Signature
Printed Name (Last then First)
Date of Birth (MM/DD/YYYY)
Residence Address (Number, Street, Apartment)
City or Town and Zip Code

It would also be wise to have what they are agreeing to on every single signature page.

Maximilian American
03-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Thank you all for the info and advice. I plan to get this done asap and will report back my results. :)