PDA

View Full Version : The Addition of Alan Keyes

Harry96
09-16-2007, 11:00 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/kramer2.html

JasonM
09-17-2007, 12:51 AM
it means nothing in the long run, except for dilution of debate time.

I'd really prefer that Paul has no more than 5 other competitors, instead of 9 or 10 (3 or 4 of which do nothing but draw a few votes away here and there from the main pro war candidates).

Richandler
09-17-2007, 12:54 AM
Who the hell is Alan Keyes and how the hell does he think he has a shot. I smell dillution of the field in attempt to keep the poll leaders in the lead. But it ain't gonna work.

JasonM
09-17-2007, 01:04 AM
Alan Keyes is the guy that tried to run against Obama in Illinois for the republicans as Senator after the last Republican candidate for the Senate dropped out due to some kind of scandal. It was the first time in history that it was a black vs black election.

Unfortunately, the other guy dropped out so late in the election season that Alan Keyes didn't have time to really mount an effective campaign. This is one of the reasons why Obama had so many otherwise republican voters go for Obama (and why he won by a landslide).

Incidentally, this is when Obama started being hyped by the media as a "rising star".

davidhperry
09-17-2007, 01:09 AM
Who the hell is Alan Keyes and how the hell does he think he has a shot.

He's someone who runs for President as a hobby - I believe this is his third time out. He's going to be a bit of a distraction but I predict that he's not going to have a material effect on Ron.

JasonM
09-17-2007, 01:17 AM
He's someone who runs for President as a hobby - I believe this is his third time out. He's going to be a bit of a distraction but I predict that he's not going to have a material effect on Ron.

Or anyone else for that matter. I really really hope he isn't included in the debates. Less talk time for Dr Paul in the debates, and more people for folks to research.

american.swan
09-17-2007, 01:56 AM
Did anyone actually read the article linked in the first post?

It is really good. Made me laugh.

Great read.

foofighter20x
09-17-2007, 02:08 AM
Alan Keyes is the guy that tried to run against Obama in Illinois for the republicans as Senator after the last Republican candidate for the Senate dropped out due to some kind of scandal. It was the first time in history that it was a black vs black election.

Unfortunately, the other guy dropped out so late in the election season that Alan Keyes didn't have time to really mount an effective campaign. This is one of the reasons why Obama had so many otherwise republican voters go for Obama (and why he won by a landslide).

Incidentally, this is when Obama started being hyped by the media as a "rising star".

Alan Keyes was also a Presidential candidate in 2000.

Obama got like 70% of the vote or something like that in 2004 because Keyes was seen as the carpetbagger he was, on top of the scandal of the other candidate you mention.

libertarian4321
09-17-2007, 02:17 AM

It was at about that time that Keyes went from "small government social conservative" to "bat sh*t crazy", which I'm sure was a big part of his crushing loss.

About all Obama had to do was not act insane, and the election was his...

JasonM
09-17-2007, 02:19 AM
It was at about that time that Keyes went from "small government social conservative" to "bat sh*t crazy", which I'm sure was a big part of his crushing loss.

About all Obama had to do was not act insane, and the election was his...

Can you elaborate?

V-rod
09-17-2007, 02:47 AM
Maybe Keyes will do some more stage diving like he did at 2000 RATM concert.

Silverback
09-17-2007, 03:06 AM
Keyes is in favor of reparations for slavery, is one of the most extreme social conservatives in American politics, and has no respect whatsoever for the establishment clause of the first amendment.

All of which is a shame because he's got redeeming qualities, but electability isn't one of them.

Corydoras
09-17-2007, 03:19 AM
Can you elaborate?

Well, there's stuff like this:
http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=18349
Listen particularly to the part from about 3:45 to about 5:00.

And there's this:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20005-2005Feb12.html

Akus
09-17-2007, 03:49 AM
He is pro-war and is way too late into the race. You think Tancredo or Tommy Thompson are irrelevant?....

katao
09-17-2007, 03:51 AM
Will he be in the Value Voters debate?

JasonM
09-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Keyes is in favor of reparations for slavery, is one of the most extreme social conservatives in American politics, and has no respect whatsoever for the establishment clause of the first amendment.

All of which is a shame because he's got redeeming qualities, but electability isn't one of them.

Well I dunno. I read some of the stuff he said. He wants to make all African Americans tax exempt status from the income tax. I think it's a good idea, since if it were to pass then there'd be a huge uproar about it. Then other folks would be like "that's not fair that he doesn't have to pay income taxes cuz he's black". Once you prove how much good it does, it would pave the way for the abolition of the income tax for all people, not just black folks.

Brilliant idea if you ask me.

Elwar
09-17-2007, 01:28 PM
I remember listening to a few of his speeches in 2000. He sited the Constitution quite a bit, his emphasis being on an inherent right to life, endowed by our Creator etc.

If he stresses the Constitution position he might pull a few Christian folks from Ron Paul.

If he stresses his pro-war position, then that helps Ron Paul by splitting the field even more.

I'd love to go into the primaries with 10 equally viable pro-war candidates against Ron Paul. He'd only need 10% to win each state.

jblosser
09-17-2007, 01:42 PM
Read the article. It's barely about Keyes, and much more about the panic among the establishment that Keyes' run makes even more obvious than it already was.

Vaughn
09-17-2007, 02:36 PM
"You create an army to send it to fight the battles!...You FIGHT IT AND FIGHT IT AND FIGHT IT!...Do you think the soldiers mind being put in danger? They DON'T! They were trained to be put in danger!" Alan Keyes

wow that coming from a guy who never served in the military but instead went to Harvard. Also his roommate was Bill Kristol. Yea i don't like these guy one bit.

ne1buthilary
09-17-2007, 03:55 PM
found this on alan keye's wikipedia page..

"Keyes was a roommate to Bill Kristol while attending Harvard."

and this is the first paragraph of Bill Kristol's wikipedia page..

"Bill Kristol (born on December 23, 1952) is an American, neoconservative pundit. He is the son of Irving Kristol, one of the founders of the neoconservative movement, and Gertrude Himmelfarb, a scholar of Victorian era literature."

JosephTheLibertarian
09-17-2007, 04:21 PM
MSM isn't even mentioning him. Alan Keyes is as useless as a bow without an arrow at the Battle of Uhud :p

Original_Intent
09-17-2007, 04:28 PM
In the past Keyes topmost issue is anti-abortion issue. He gives convincing lip service to the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, but mostly to use them to support his Pro-life position.

I find it strange that he is taking a pro-war position - disappointing as I used to look up to Keyes and thought he would be a good VP for Ron Paul.

I don't think he will have any impact though, I mean he is another pro-life, pro-war candidate with no name recognition or money.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-17-2007, 04:30 PM
I guess Alan doesn't have the keys to do anything in this race but...lose ha :P

ctb619
09-17-2007, 04:38 PM
He'll be used to directly confront RP in the debates (assuming Keyes is included). Giuliani and Huckabee failed miserably, so they're trying someone who is smarter and more articulate.