PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul supporters vs. Independent, Fundamental Baptists?

uncloned21
09-16-2007, 10:12 PM
it seems that fundamentalist baptists fell so in love with bush and republicans for religious beliefs that they dont even question truly important topics like that war and our failures! anyone else see this?

CMoore
09-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Yes.

Plus many fundamentalist want this country to be a theocracy. Since Dr. Paul is not going to be supportive of this, I do not think he is going to do well with fundamentalist Christians. I wonder myself why he is going to endure their 3 hour debate tomorrow. Maybe he hopes to pick up their vote when Hunter and Huckabee eventually drop out and he well might.

uncloned21
09-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Ron Paul seems to not care at all where he goes on. Have you heard of him every turning a major interview down?

0zzy
09-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Ron Paul seems to not care at all where he goes on. Have you heard of him every turning a major interview down?

A few debates that conflicted with this schedule.

CMoore
09-16-2007, 10:26 PM
True. He pretty much talks to anybody, but not for 3 HOURS !!!!
That is daunting even to think about.

katao
09-17-2007, 04:25 AM
And the most amazing thing to watch is how RP doesn't flinch one bit when asked hard questions - he gives responses that are not what the interviewer wants to hear. No pandering. True integrity.

I watched one meeting where farmers were asking about subsidies and RP educated them about how the free market would benefit them more than government handouts. It was a thing a beauty - something I didn't think I'd see from a politician in my lifetime.

That said, the debate worries me - how many times can RP say that he agrees with the moral principle but that it is unconstitutional for the feds to do it and thus should be handled by the states. I hope he has help in coming up with 200 different ways of explaining that principle. He needs to give solid examples of how the federal govt gets it all wrong - to help them see that giving the feds the power to legislate morality WILL end up being used for the exact opposite purposes.

literatim
09-17-2007, 04:48 AM
He will reintroduce them to the Just War Theory.

Akus
09-17-2007, 05:04 AM
it seems that fundamentalist baptists fell so in love with bush and republicans for religious beliefs that they dont even question truly important topics like that war and our failures! anyone else see this?

Just sell his Christianity to them and don't mention the war unless asked about it.

Ozwest
09-17-2007, 05:46 AM
I am an Athiest who was raised in a strict Christian family. I believe in respecting the rights of others to practice their faith as I expect others to respect my beliefs. This is a Libertarian philosophy. Ron Paul makes the distinction between Constitutional authority and Religious freedom. Those claiming moral certitude above others based on Religion (no matter how broad the interpretation) ignore the unifying force which motivated the founders of America: Escape from Religious persecution brutally enforced by Monarchists. A true Republic embraces the separation of Church and State.

pcosmar
09-17-2007, 06:28 AM
I go to a small Baptist Church. I sat down with my Pastor a while back, Showed him Ron Pauls positions. He likes him.
Many Christians do not follow the crowd, and find the truth refreshing.
My Mom is Very Catholic, and likes Ron Paul. His speaks common sense.
Most Christians just want to know that a Leader or Candidate has a moral base.
Ron Paul has that covered. The message of Freedom sells. Common sense sells.

10thAmendmentMan
09-17-2007, 06:28 AM
I am an Athiest who was raised in a strict Christian family. I believe in respecting the rights of others to practice their faith as I expect others to respect my beliefs. This is a Libertarian philosophy. Ron Paul makes the distinction between Constitutional authority and Religious freedom. Those claiming moral certitude above others based on Religion (no matter how broad the interpretation) ignore the unifying force which motivated the founders of America: Escape from Religious persecution brutally enforced by Monarchists. A true Republic embraces the separation of Church and State.

I don't care if my president talks to god, but I worry when god starts talking back.

Ozwest
09-17-2007, 06:38 AM
That is the crux of the biscuit.

militant
09-17-2007, 06:52 AM
Why versus? Why are we 'against' people? Every person is a person, and every person is a vote. Our job is not to educate them on why they are wrong. Our job is to convince them that on the 1 or 2 or 3 key issues to each of them, Ron Paul is the best option. Not that Huckabee or Obama aren't swell guys, of course.

Now, you and I know that Huckabee and Obama aren't swell guys. But thinking about human psychology for a moment, if you challenge someone's 'correctness' on an issue, chances are they will take offense or go into lockdown mode. If, instead, you show them that they are right on whatever it is that's important to them, and that Paul is the right man for that, they just hadn't had the chance to discover him yet... most are much more receptive. People don't like to be told they're wrong.

Mesogen
09-17-2007, 06:52 AM
Just sell his Christianity to them and don't mention the war unless asked about it.

Actually, I think one of the better strategies of telling people about Ron Paul is to tell them about his philosophies or ideas as if he's got serious plans to make some serious changes in Washington (everyone likes to hear that) and then frame the changes he would make in terms associated with the personality of the voter being educated. In other words, if it's a southern baptist, bring up how Ron Paul will bring real honesty and moral credibility to the WH, unlike these Mayberry Machiavellis that pretend to be Christians but are really just out for blood.

You want things to click in people's heads.

Ozwest
09-17-2007, 07:10 AM
pcosmar, I cautiously broached any discussion of Religion because it is so divisive. Although I am a Athiest, I am a Humanitarian and I feel you are the same. Ron Paul is a Christian I trust. Christians who listen to uncharitable Pastors are, to say the least, misguided. Presidential Candidates who ingraciate themselves to suspect Religious leaders with political agendas are dishonest and are not believing Christians.

fj45lvr
09-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Isn't Paul actually a member of a Baptist Church anyhow???

That would go to show that it is not a matter of flavor of protestant.

Ozwest
09-17-2007, 07:22 AM
There many flavors of Baptist. Ron Paul is a "old time" Baptist. There are many "fundamentalist" Baptists following neo-con agendas.