PDA

View Full Version : Can the Supreme Court rule the AIG Bonus Confiscation Unconstitutional?

Knightskye
03-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Someone's sure to challenge it in court.

Congress might use a power it doesn't have, but that's where judicial review came from, right? :D

Ahh... crazy shit.

nate895
03-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Not only don't they have the power, but it is forbidden. It is an ex post facto Bill of Attainder, a double whammy from even a loose constructionist point-of-view.

Young Paleocon
03-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Don't know if the Constitution has provisions in it for "in case federal government unconstitutionally infuses internationally company with 180 billion dollars do this". Hopefully they'll rule that giving companies government money is unconstitutional. :)

slothman
03-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Not only don't they have the power, but it is forbidden. It is an ex post facto Bill of Attainder, a double whammy from even a loose constructionist point-of-view.

What did the AIG, et al. do that prevents an ex post facto?
As far as I know they only recieved money.

UtahApocalypse
03-18-2009, 10:16 PM
The point that no one in the MSM will report is that we should not be saving failed companies in the first place.

nate895
03-18-2009, 11:48 PM
What did the AIG, et al. do that prevents an ex post facto?
As far as I know they only recieved money.

We are talking about the proposal to take the bonuses away from the recipients. No one can do that, it is an ex post facto Bill of Attainder.

Knightskye
03-19-2009, 03:35 PM
:(

Truth Warrior
03-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Not without opening a whole big can of worms.<IMHO> The SCOTUS tends to shy away from those, like the plague. :eek: Kinda like where was Barry REALLY born? :p :rolleyes:

Knightskye
03-20-2009, 03:23 AM
Not without opening a whole big can of worms.<IMHO> The SCOTUS tends to shy away from those, like the plague. :eek: Kinda like where was Barry REALLY born? :p :rolleyes:

Eh. Congress already opened a can of worms.

I say the SCOTUS needs to open a can of whup-ass.

nobody's_hero
03-20-2009, 05:30 AM
Only so often does the Supreme Court awaken from its on-duty slumber and tackles a really paramount issue which threatens to destroy our liberties, and the resulting ruling is often so ambiguous, nothing changes.

Example: Heller vs. D.C.

Join The Paul Side
03-20-2009, 06:54 AM
Can the Supreme Court rule the AIG Bonus Confiscation Unconstitutional?

They can and they should, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. :(