PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Schiff another Romney or Bloomberg

Josh_LA
03-18-2009, 07:32 PM
A rich man who can use his own money if he intends to run.

WillieKamm
03-19-2009, 03:33 PM
I guess I won't win any popularity points here. Count me out as far as Peter Scfhiff is concerned. He's been not only wrong, but badly wrong on many counts. What's he saying these days about decoupling, the Chinese century, and hyperinflation? I bow down to nobody's dogma, least of all his.

Josh_LA
03-19-2009, 09:58 PM
I guess I won't win any popularity points here. Count me out as far as Peter Scfhiff is concerned. He's been not only wrong, but badly wrong on many counts. What's he saying these days about decoupling, the Chinese century, and hyperinflation? I bow down to nobody's dogma, least of all his.

decoupling as in what? physical gold vs ETF?
Chinese century as Chinese make more money than US?
hyperinflation? Maybe not yet

He Who Pawns
03-21-2009, 12:30 AM

Let's check back in couple of years and I bet you will eat those words. Do you want some soy sauce with that?

anaconda
03-21-2009, 03:21 AM
Is Schiff "rich?"

Neither Romney nor Bloomberg advocate ending the Federal Reserve.

Howard_Roark
03-21-2009, 02:53 PM

One of the biggest problems I have seen with libertarians is that many of them, including me would never run for office because we just don't much care for the government. Keep in mind if you run for office, your going to be working for the government.

malkusm
03-21-2009, 03:12 PM
One of the biggest problems I have seen with libertarians is that many of them, including me would never run for office because we just don't much care for the government. Keep in mind if you run for office, your going to be working for the government.

Is it ok to use a firearm if you believe in a principle of non-aggression?

Judging by this forum, the answer would be "yes, in defense."

Similarly, the government can be used in defense of liberty, even if you don't believe it is necessary.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
03-22-2009, 02:16 PM

anyone else seeing this anti-schiff pattern?

He Who Pawns
03-22-2009, 02:22 PM
I notice a lot of anti-schiff comments coming from people with very low post counts. probably people trying to discredit him.

Cowlesy
03-22-2009, 02:27 PM
You can't compare Peter Schiff's success to Mitt Romney or Mike Bloomberg.

Romney founded and ran an extremely successful private equity firm (Bain Capital) which became one of the biggest out there for a while. They made a killing on the Domino's deal, and a bunch of others.

Bloomberg founded and still runs the most used business news agency with countless, extremely expensive professional bloomberg news terminals all around the world.

Schiff, while a brilliant economist in my opinion, is a stock broker with his own firm. No doubt he's been successful, but the scale of his success is not comparable to Romney or Bloomberg.

FrankRep
03-22-2009, 03:02 PM

Watch what happens when the artificially deflated gold prices pop.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
03-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Im fairly certain Schiff claimed at one point that he only has around $2 million.

He Who Pawns
03-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Im fairly certain Schiff claimed at one point that he only has around $2 million.

If he's making money on all the transactions at Europac, he probably makes double that every year. Let alone his own investments.

My guess on Schiff would be about 20 million, but maybe more.

Someone should call his radio show on Wednesday and ask him for a ballpark on this net worth.

WillieKamm
03-22-2009, 08:18 PM

anyone else seeing this anti-schiff pattern? Because I have 29 posts I'm not entitled to an opinion? I'm some kind of subsversive plant? I don't like Peter Schiff. I don't look to him for advice. I find the cult like slavish devotion to him in here amusing. I think in the current situation, unless one is extremely wealthy, there is little chance to guarantee fiscal health. We're in for a bumpy ride and no one, not even Peter Schiff knows how this will all play out.

brandon
03-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Because I have 29 posts I'm not entitled to an opinion? I'm some kind of subsversive plant? I don't like Peter Schiff. I don't look to him for advice. I find the cult like slavish devotion to him in here amusing. I think in the current situation, unless one is extremely wealthy, there is little chance to guarantee fiscal health. We're in for a bumpy ride and no one, not even Peter Schiff knows how this will all play out.

I have 5000 posts and I mostly agree with you.

Don't worry, they all attack me for it too.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
03-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Because I have 29 posts I'm not entitled to an opinion? I'm some kind of subsversive plant? I don't like Peter Schiff. I don't look to him for advice. I find the cult like slavish devotion to him in here amusing. I think in the current situation, unless one is extremely wealthy, there is little chance to guarantee fiscal health. We're in for a bumpy ride and no one, not even Peter Schiff knows how this will all play out.

I just notice there are a lot of new people here lately with low post counts who have some sort of irrational vendetta against many long established positions and people.

He Who Pawns
03-23-2009, 12:49 AM

Well Ron Paul loves Peter Schiff and talks him up all the time. Ron seeks advice from Schiff, so that tells you something right there.

trey4sports
03-23-2009, 01:21 AM
nothing wrong with differing opinions.

Schiff has been wrong on many occasions. However, the majority of his predicitions have been correct and he was one of very very few who predicted the housing bubble.

WillieKamm
03-23-2009, 08:14 AM
nothing wrong with differing opinions.

Schiff has been wrong on many occasions. However, the majority of his predicitions have been correct and he was one of very very few who predicted the housing bubble. No he wasn't. I predicted it when the housing runup was in the earliest stages. Why isn't Willie Kamm another Romney or Bloomberg? How about a Willie Kamm run for the Senate? I'll even take cash not bullion for my sage advice. :) I just think an objective examination of the record will show that Schiff has been off the mark a number of times, and then if you followed his advice to the letter you would have lost a lot of money in the near term. I've been watching experts of various stripes fall all over themselves with wrong headed predictions and advice as this economic calamity has unfolded. I voted for Ron Paul in 1988 and again in my state's Republican primary in 2008. If he and I part company on Peter Schiff, then oh well. Do you want your own brand of conformity? I know some are waiting for Schiff's eventual vindication, which like the Second Coming they are sure will come to pass.

He Who Pawns
03-23-2009, 09:16 AM
I just think an objective examination of the record will show that Schiff has been off the mark a number of times, and then if you followed his advice to the letter you would have lost a lot of money in the near term.

Schiff does not make predictions about the short term. His real strategy is placing clients for a forthcoming dollar collapse.

Chester Copperpot
03-23-2009, 09:36 AM
This thread is an example of why we suck sometimes.

WillieKamm
03-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Schiff's own words. "My central investing premise, a weakening dollar and safety in gold, commodities and foreign stocks, didn't materialize in 2008. But all the ingredients were (and remain) present for those movements to occur. Over the past year, market reactions that I didn't foresee -- massive global deleveraging, a knee-jerk "flight to quality" into U.S. Treasurys and a sharp countertrend rally in the U.S. dollar -- have kept the scenario from playing out." I give him credit for his honesty in admitting where he has been wrong to date. It remains to be seen if his predictions will bear themselves out eventually. I have little faith in the safety in foreign stocks part of his equation. Gold and commodities I'm not sure. We shall see. As for me, I don't see "safety" anywhere on the horizon at the moment.

Chester Copperpot
03-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Schiff's own words. "My central investing premise, a weakening dollar and safety in gold, commodities and foreign stocks, didn't materialize in 2008. But all the ingredients were (and remain) present for those movements to occur. Over the past year, market reactions that I didn't foresee -- massive global deleveraging, a knee-jerk "flight to quality" into U.S. Treasurys and a sharp countertrend rally in the U.S. dollar -- have kept the scenario from playing out." I give him credit for his honesty in admitting where he has been wrong to date. It remains to be seen if his predictions will bear themselves out eventually. I have little faith in the safety in foreign stocks part of his equation. Gold and commodities I'm not sure. We shall see. As for me, I don't see "safety" anywhere on the horizon at the moment.

Of course its going to happen because they keep printing more dollars wheras they cant print more gold.

If free market forces were unleashed I wouldnt be surprised to see gold go to $5,000/Oz.

And since originally gold was $20.67 per ounce.. that difference in price can be considered as all the stolen money from the people, IMO.

WillieKamm
03-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Of course its going to happen because they keep printing more dollars wheras they cant print more gold.

If free market forces were unleashed I wouldnt be surprised to see gold go to $5,000/Oz.

And since originally gold was $20.67 per ounce.. that difference in price can be considered as all the stolen money from the people, IMO. Of course. Wasn't there rampant inflation in the depression 30's? I mean they were printing money like crazy back then just like they are today. Additionally for all the money printed today how much has yet to be really inserted into the consumer economy?. What about all the trillions that went poof and disappeared in the current equity collapse? I thought that this would be the last place to stifle debate, but apparently that is the case at least where money and economics are concerned.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
03-23-2009, 06:20 PM
No he wasn't. I predicted it when the housing runup was in the earliest stages. Why isn't Willie Kamm another Romney or Bloomberg? How about a Willie Kamm run for the Senate? I'll even take cash not bullion for my sage advice. :) I just think an objective examination of the record will show that Schiff has been off the mark a number of times, and then if you followed his advice to the letter you would have lost a lot of money in the near term. I've been watching experts of various stripes fall all over themselves with wrong headed predictions and advice as this economic calamity has unfolded. I voted for Ron Paul in 1988 and again in my state's Republican primary in 2008. If he and I part company on Peter Schiff, then oh well. Do you want your own brand of conformity? I know some are waiting for Schiff's eventual vindication, which like the Second Coming they are sure will come to pass.

You are assuming we like Schiff because of his investment advice. His being wrong on certain aspects is a moot point. The point is, he is correct in his recognition of government and banking policies that have led to this, and on the polices they would pursue in attempt to fix it, and on what policies they should take to correct it. That, and he is charismatic and well spoken.

Schiff's investment advice is completely irrelevant to anything outside of someone holding a europac account.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
03-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Why isn't Willie Kamm another Romney or Bloomberg? How about a Willie Kamm run for the Senate?

Because nobody knows who the fuck you are. You have no credibility, no reputation, no standing.

WillieKamm
03-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Because nobody knows who the fuck you are. You have no credibility, no reputation, no standing. It was a joke. Did it fly over your head?

You are assuming we like Schiff because of his investment advice. His being wrong on certain aspects is a moot point. The point is, he is correct in his recognition of government and banking policies that have led to this, and on the polices they would pursue in attempt to fix it, and on what policies they should take to correct it. That, and he is charismatic and well spoken.

Schiff's investment advice is completely irrelevant to anything outside of someone holding a europac account. I need a bowl full of pretzels to keep up with that kind of logic. He is correct in his recognition of the obvious but who cares if his investment strategy to cope with the current situation is taking people broke. He's charismatic too. Great.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
03-23-2009, 09:41 PM
It was a joke. Did it fly over your head?

I need a bowl full of pretzels to keep up with that kind of logic. He is correct in his recognition of the obvious but who cares if his investment strategy to cope with the current situation is taking people broke. He's charismatic too. Great.

As you pointed out earlier, he states:

"market reactions that I didn't foresee"

I fail to see how his bad calls on market reaction have any bearing on his points about government and banking policies. Schiff has so far been wrong on certain aspects of the market response to the economic downturn. He is however, correct on the issues most people here are concerned about, which is the policies and actions pursued by the government.

Nathan Hale
03-24-2009, 05:48 AM

Alas, these libertarians forget that SOMEBODY needs to get elected in order to enact the necessary changes that bring about a more libertarian society. I'd love to go my whole life without serving in office, yet I plan to run, because it'll help move America in a more libertarian direction.

sailor
03-31-2009, 08:18 AM
You can't compare Peter Schiff's success to Mitt Romney or Mike Bloomberg.

Romney founded and ran an extremely successful private equity firm (Bain Capital) which became one of the biggest out there for a while. They made a killing on the Domino's deal, and a bunch of others.

Bloomberg founded and still runs the most used business news agency with countless, extremely expensive professional bloomberg news terminals all around the world.

Schiff, while a brilliant economist in my opinion, is a stock broker with his own firm. No doubt he's been successful, but the scale of his success is not comparable to Romney or Bloomberg.

Peter Schiff saved thousands of people from their retirement funds getting wiped out.

You can`t measure him simply by what he earns. And anyways we`ll have check back after the dollar collapses. It may be that then he is indeed going to be far richer than Rommney (unless Romney flees the dollar too).

TruthisTreason
03-31-2009, 08:23 AM

I haven't read the thread, but here is my 2 cents.

2 hypothetical reasons Schiff won't run.

1. Senators don't make that much money!!!!!

2. He could have some "skeletons" in his closet.

sailor
03-31-2009, 08:25 AM
Of course. Wasn't there rampant inflation in the depression 30's?

No there wasn`t.

sailor
03-31-2009, 08:26 AM
hypothetical[/b] reasons Schiff won't run.

1. Senators don't make that much money!!!!!

2. He could have some "skeletons" in his closet.

3. He doesn`t want to save the dollar as it would screw up his investment positions. :p

He Who Pawns
03-31-2009, 08:28 AM
Lol @ 3.

Like any other person, the "skeletons in the closet" thing is certainly a possibility. Nobody knows.

sailor
03-31-2009, 08:28 AM
Well Ron Paul loves Peter Schiff and talks him up all the time. Ron seeks advice from Schiff, so that tells you something right there.

Plus Tom Woods and Bob Murphy. They give him a lot of credit.

ctiger2
05-01-2009, 12:47 PM
I think Schiff won't run because:

1. He might be moving to FL in the near future
2. Senators make less than he currently does
3. He feels he has more impact doing what he currently does than as a Senator would
4. Conflict of interest issues
5. His Fathers in prison for tax evasion
6. The cost of running the campaign
7. He likes economics more than politics

He Who Pawns
05-01-2009, 03:33 PM
I think Schiff won't run because:

7. He likes economics more than politics

Then why does he spend 90% of his radio show every week talking about politics?

ctiger2
05-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Then why does he spend 90% of his radio show every week talking about politics?

Because they are getting more and more intertwined as the Govt interferes in the market.