PDA

View Full Version : Apparently, Douglass has quit his #1 Townhall Blog

LibertyEagle
09-16-2007, 09:05 PM
http://rxpaul.townhall.com/

goldenequity
09-16-2007, 09:27 PM
I salute you brother...... you are one TENACIOUS patriot
and an example to all of determination and perserverence.
Take a rest now.... gather your strength....
you have indeed fought the good fight...
and will LIVE to fight again soon. :)

randy :)

UCFGavin
09-16-2007, 09:38 PM
cliffs for those that aren't sure whats going on?

LibertyEagle
09-16-2007, 09:43 PM
You can go over there and read it.

http://rxpaul.townhall.com/

Thom1776
09-16-2007, 10:10 PM
http://rxpaul.townhall.com/g/52eff9c1-81d4-40c6-b921-d5e201578f48&comments=true?submitted=trueb2f8385a-bad3-4e04-aefe-3c52474205a5#comments

trispear
09-16-2007, 10:14 PM
That's too bad. I greatly appreciate the effort! Also, if the author is reading - you did a good job on not just preaching to the choir but reaching other republicans - which I think the effort was all about.

Good luck to your son.

born2drv
09-16-2007, 10:14 PM
i'm sorry he quit, i know you don't get a lot of support on that site.... i can't seem to login there for some reason.... my password i know is correct and it won't let me reset it....

i hate to say it, but i think townhall's a lost cause, i admire your guys persistance and hard work.... i've been working the hannity forum crowd and i've come to the same conclusion there as well.. they will always be sheep.... i just mostly go there now to poke fun and taunt them when a big headline comes out, greenspan has given me plenty of ammunition last couple days :) but i'm trying to spend less time there and more focused on offline events to bring in fresh blood.

uncloned21
09-16-2007, 10:17 PM
can we do it without the neocons joining us?

LibertyEagle
09-16-2007, 10:22 PM
http://rxpaul.townhall.com/g/52eff9c1-81d4-40c6-b921-d5e201578f48&comments=true?submitted=trueb2f8385a-bad3-4e04-aefe-3c52474205a5#comments

That wasn't Douglass' post. He was copying the blog from AFK. Look here: http://afk.townhall.com/ AFK's blog is currently rated number 6 on Townhall and gets thousands of hits.

LibertyEagle
09-16-2007, 10:25 PM
i'm sorry he quit, i know you don't get a lot of support on that site.... i can't seem to login there for some reason.... my password i know is correct and it won't let me reset it....

i hate to say it, but i think townhall's a lost cause, i admire your guys persistance and hard work.... i've been working the hannity forum crowd and i've come to the same conclusion there as well.. they will always be sheep.... i just mostly go there now to poke fun and taunt them when a big headline comes out, greenspan has given me plenty of ammunition last couple days :) but i'm trying to spend less time there and more focused on offline events to bring in fresh blood.

hhmmm.... If they won't let you reset it, I wonder if they banned you. Try clearing your cookies and trying again.

LibertyEagle
09-16-2007, 10:27 PM
In his blog, Doug says he has handed it over to his 19 year old son, so I guess the blog will go on in one form or other.

Mordechai Vanunu
09-16-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm disappointed, but I can't blame him either. I can't visit Townhall without becoming nauseous after a few minutes.

Lord Xar
09-16-2007, 11:14 PM
well, promotion alone should be enough that he stays.....

Those thousands of hits aren't from Ron Paul supporters alone, are they. I am SURE there are a TON of lurkers there and many have come to Ron Paul's side. Listen, I am SURE Doublas reached many!

It is true, many are sheep --- BUT, I was just like that 4-5 months ago.. very aggro, for the war, and then I watched Aravoth's video "stop dreaming" and that was it! You understand?

Douglass, stay the course bro. I guess it all depends on whether you feel you are valuable over there rather than someplace else.

Nefertiti
09-17-2007, 03:25 AM
I get a bad feeling about the guy because he has total disrespect and lack of understanding of copyright law. When they called him on it for copying an entire article his response was appalling. I don't like copyright laws as they are but I do not respect people who have no respect for them. The law is the law. If you don't like it, lobby to change it, don't just rip off other people's stuff. I say good riddance.

LibertyEagle
09-17-2007, 06:00 AM
Nefertiti,

I didn't agree with what went on about the copyright law issue and he knows that, but I'm sure not going to throw him under the bus on it either. Everyone can have a down day or two and considering all the effort he has put into promoting Dr. Paul in the past, I would appreciate it if you didn't trash him here.

angelatc
09-17-2007, 06:25 AM
Personally, I wish more people would disregard copyright law. I hate reading old posts only to find out that the link they contain is dead.

Nefertiti
09-17-2007, 06:32 AM
If you use Firefox there is an add-on called "Resurrect Pages" that is very useful in that regard.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2570

Violating copyright is a form of theft. For people who make a living from intellectual work rather than physical products it is a serious issue. I don't think copyright should last as long as it does but at least for the copyright holders' lifetime he or she should have the right to their work not being copied without permission.

LibertyEagle
09-17-2007, 07:07 AM
If you use Firefox there is an add-on called "Resurrect Pages" that is very useful in that regard.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2570

Violating copyright is a form of theft. For people who make a living from intellectual work rather than physical products it is a serious issue. I don't think copyright should last as long as it does but at least for the copyright holders' lifetime he or she should have the right to their work not being copied without permission.

Nefertiti, there is also something called, FAIR USE, and if you notice, he always gave proper reference to the author and the site from which it came.

Nefertiti
09-17-2007, 07:28 AM
I know exactly what Fair Use and copying and pasting an entire article is not fair use. I've spent a lot of time reading about copyright law because of my line of work. Throwing out the word "fair use" does not make it so. He could quote a paragraph if he wanted, but not the entire article. Here's a nice summary of what fair use is:

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

LibertyEagle
09-17-2007, 07:36 AM
Doug cited a bunch of information on copyright law on his blog site. It's rather interesting. It appears that he too did a bunch of research on it. I guess it piqued his curiosity, since he is a retired judge.
http://rxpaul.townhall.com/g/cda1a7bb-d8d0-4022-8d41-8e010da80127

I didn't agree with his stance, because Townhall is a private enterprise and thus can set the rules and we can choose to agree to them by signing on, or not. But, it was his choice.

FluffyUnbound
09-17-2007, 07:39 AM
Nefertiti, there is also something called, FAIR USE, and if you notice, he always gave proper reference to the author and the site from which it came.

I think the larger issue is that Douglass decided to try to blow up a pretty standard and typical host response to a copyright issue into a conspiracy against Ron Paul, and in doing so he made himself look foolish.

Whatever you may think of copyright law, almost no even semi-moderated message board that I know of allows you to post entire articles. If you post entire articles, you will be asked to clip them or take them down. This is standard operating procedure almost everywhere. When townhall asked him to revise the way he was posting articles, they were being entirely reasonable, and they certainly weren't inventing some new rule no one had ever heard of just to pick on a Ron Paul supporter.

Freaking out about an article-clipping rule makes you look like you either have a screw loose or like it's your first day on the internet. It's like going berserk because a host or mod asks you not to steal bandwidth by linking to images embedded in sites that aren't specific image or video hosts.

The series of posts in question makes it look to me like Douglass was looking for a fight in this instance and wanted to be martyred. Hey, that's fine. Just pick a better topic for your martyrdom next time.

FrankRep
09-17-2007, 07:40 AM
As bad as the Townhall fare is, I am personally more disappointed in the underwhelming turnout of support for the blog, as even Ron Paul supporters seem to stay away in droves on account of the claimed copyright brouhaha of which I have written. If that had been otherwise, I might have the energy to stay on. As it is, the blog needs the bloom of youth to carry on. That will do far more for what's really important: the rescue of America from the tentacles of Bushism. Ron Paul is the only long-term hope, but the impeachment of the meglomaniac Bush is the top priority.

Hope still?

LibertyEagle
09-17-2007, 07:41 AM
When townhall asked him to revise the way he was posting articles, they were being entirely reasonable, and they certainly weren't inventing some new rule no one had ever heard of just to pick on a Ron Paul supporter.

I agree with that.

UCFGavin
09-17-2007, 07:50 AM
so glad i don't post there. the drama is out of control.