PDA

View Full Version : DIY Natural Stick Deodorant

LittleLightShining
03-18-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm going to try this out.

Quick Stick Deodorant (http://www.littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/2009/03/quick-stick-deodorant.html)

In the DIY world of home health and beauty products, deodorant seems to be the the most feared replacement. Stinking is NOT OKAY in our culture, right?

But aluminum crammed in your pores cannot be good for you, and it seems in recent years that store-bought deodorant is becoming less and less effective anyway. This deodorant uses a natural moisture absorber (cornstarch), a natural deodorizer (baking soda), and a natural anti-bacteria/fungal oil (tea tree oil) to keep any stink from developing in the first place.

So, here's what I suggest....make this stuff ahead and use it on SATURDAY, or a sick day, or any day you aren't going to see anyone special, so you'll feel secure and not look like a nut obsessively sniffing your underarms all day. Once you get over the stink phobia, let your body get used to it, and you'll never go back.

Homemade Stick Deodorant

1. Put 1/4 cup each of baking soda and cornstarch in a bowl with 10+ drops tea tree oil. (I like 20 drops, but I'm a tea tree oil nut. I hear lavender oil will work as well.)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_lUHrYCLmg-8/SaxBCRqCfoI/AAAAAAAABZA/49zCyAKKgm4/s400/PICT0023402.JPG

2. This deodorant can be used as a powder, but if you want a stick, go to the shortening section of the store and buy this solid-at-room-temperature-awesome stuff:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lUHrYCLmg-8/SayZPs6AlCI/AAAAAAAABZ4/NwCol2mmFJk/s400/PICT0002.JPG
3. Stir 2+ TBSP in until it's the consistency you like.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lUHrYCLmg-8/SaxBCUNpWJI/AAAAAAAABZI/6czugLgPT-c/s400/PICT023423004.JPG
4. Smash into empty deodorant container. (Will be a bit sturdier once it sets a day or so.)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lUHrYCLmg-8/SaxBCSJdMZI/AAAAAAAABY4/8t7eO9d2kHk/s400/PICT0005234.JPG
When applying this deodorant, use a lighter hand than you would with normal stick deodorant, especially the first couple of days or it'll drop little balls on your bathroom rug.

Used correctly, this stuff is invisible and lasts for ages, as it works with a very light layer. You should not be able to SEE it once applied.

heavenlyboy34
03-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Wow! Please report back on its effectiveness (particularly in relation to males, if you can get at least one male to try it)

tmosley
03-18-2009, 04:18 PM
AWESOME.

I may try this after my current bar runs out (so I can "reload").

kaleidoscope eyes
03-18-2009, 07:54 PM
yes, please let us know if it works out. I tried to use the salt crystal type deoderant a while back... mega fail. lol

heavenlyboy34
03-18-2009, 08:41 PM
yes, please let us know if it works out. I tried to use the salt crystal type deoderant a while back... mega fail. lol

Crystalux works for me. The others are big time, smelly FAIL. :p:(:mad:

tmosley
03-18-2009, 09:16 PM
I use the Thai crystal when I run out of Arm and Hammer (the only anti-presperant that works on me) and forget to get more. It seems to work fairly well.

kaleidoscope eyes
03-19-2009, 06:48 AM
Crystalux works for me. The others are big time, smelly FAIL. :p:(:mad:

LOL exactly! P.U.!

Sure, in some cultures, body odor is sexxay, not in mine! :D

Sandra
03-19-2009, 06:53 AM
I used an all natural Tea tree and lavender deodorant before. I'll bet these are the same ingredients. It worked real well.

Ninja Homer
03-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Sounds good! I'll have to try it.

I'd watch out for the coconut oil if it gets too hot though... it might turn into a big mess. Coconut starts to melt when it gets to 76 degrees. Also, it's generally not recommended to put oil on your armpits. Coconut oil might be ok though, because it has different properties than almost every other oil.

The crystal deodorants work as long as you use them right. It's not like commercial deodorants where you just need to apply it once a day. You need to put it on right after washing, and then it keeps bacteria from developing. It's the bacteria that creates the BO. You need to reapply it every once in a while. Times can vary by person, but for me 3 times a day seems to do the job. If you forget to reapply, and the bacteria starts to develop, it's going to smell, and then it's too late to reapply because the crystal doesn't get rid of the smell, it just keeps the bacteria from developing.

The worst thing you can use is antiperspirant. Armpits are supposed to sweat, and the sweating releases toxins. IMHO, increasing use of antiperspirants is one of the reasons for increases in occurrence of breast cancer.

zach
03-19-2009, 08:21 AM
The crystal deodorants work as long as you use them right. It's not like commercial deodorants where you just need to apply it once a day. You need to put it on right after washing, and then it keeps bacteria from developing. It's the bacteria that creates the BO. You need to reapply it every once in a while. Times can vary by person, but for me 3 times a day seems to do the job. If you forget to reapply, and the bacteria starts to develop, it's going to smell, and then it's too late to reapply because the crystal doesn't get rid of the smell, it just keeps the bacteria from developing.

The worst thing you can use is antiperspirant. Armpits are supposed to sweat, and the sweating releases toxins. IMHO, increasing use of antiperspirants is one of the reasons for increases in occurrence of breast cancer.

I've used the Thai crystal deodorant for a few months, and reading this helps connect the dots for me. I've noticed that it doesn't really work unless right after I wake up or take a shower so I should start remembering this. Otherwise, I just use some essential oils to cover up the smell well enough.

Kludge
03-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Y'all have waaay too much goddam time on your hands....

But who am I to talk?

jlott00
03-27-2009, 12:32 PM
i did this but i used Organic EV coconut oil, the reason i did is bc the lou anna's has so much crap done to it before you buy it ,that i dont even consider it CO anymore, i think i read somewhere that they blow hydrogen through it among other things, and also for ten buck you can get a container of O EV CO, for skin,
http://www.simplyfair.co.uk/acatalog/bionacoconutoil.jpg

also i didnt use tea tree oil, bc i didnt want to smell like it, though i do use it in my shampoo, instead i put borax, bc its also very anti fungal,
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Imxs92z2rlI/SDEVktNc-5I/AAAAAAAAAac/cTZ5G64G0gQ/s400/borax.jpg

I must say it really works great, i do sweat but i dont stink and ive put it to the test working this week, another plus using the EV coconut oil is you have a nice smell.
'
and i woud say it cost 25-50 cents?.....for organic deodorant, compared to the 5-7 dollar at the store or the poison for 3-4 bucks

Deborah K
03-27-2009, 01:18 PM
I've been using a mixture of corn starch and baking soda for a loooong time now. I put them in a container and use a big powder puff to apply them. No sweat, no smell.

I also make my own toothpaste out of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and mint oil. Mix it all up in a container to a paste consistency and use a soft bristled brush. My teeth are clean and white. Been doing this for a few years now.

The reason I do this is because of the flouride and aspartame in toothpaste, and the aluminum in deodorant.

Working Poor
03-27-2009, 03:11 PM
I want to caution men when using lavender because it has an estrogen like property to it which means female hormone....

Also antiperspirants and deodorants with contain aluminum clorohydrate are said to have something to do with breast cancer so one more reason not to use it. Men are not immune to it either.

Deborah K
03-27-2009, 03:16 PM
I want to caution men when using lavender because it has an estrogen like property to it which means female hormone....

Also antiperspirants and deodorants with contain aluminum clorohydrate are said to have something to do with breast cancer so one more reason not to use it. Men are not immune to it either.

Yes and I read the aluminum in deodorants is linked with alzheimers.