PDA

View Full Version : Don't Give Up on the Mormons

archemeedees
09-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Hey,
As a "Mormon" or member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and as an avid and strong Ron Paul supporter, I wanted to ask the other Paul-ites of the nation to not give up on Utah or on the Mormon population. I'll tell you why.

As for Utah being "Mormon" country, that doesn't translate to "Romney" country. Interestingly enough, most of the very politically active Mormons I've met are Romney supporters, but almost every semi-politically active member can't stand the idea of having him get voted for just because he's Mormon. Almost all of mine and my husband's Mormon friends are very impressed by Ron Paul, and few of them support Romney just because he's Mormon. Some of the older Mormons are instant Romney supporters, but us young-uns make up a nice large percentage of the State. Don't give up on them.

Other funny thing is, Salt Lake City itself has a low percentage of Mormon residents. The rest of the State has pretty high percentages of Mormons depending on the area, but the metropolitan area of Salt Lake is predominantly not Mormon. Not like there's anything either wrong or right about that.

shyfrog
09-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Hey,
As a "Mormon" or member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and as an avid and strong Ron Paul supporter, I wanted to ask the other Paul-ites of the nation to not give up on Utah or on the Mormon population. I'll tell you why.

As for Utah being "Mormon" country, that doesn't translate to "Romney" country. Interestingly enough, most of the very politically active Mormons I've met are Romney supporters, but almost every semi-politically active member can't stand the idea of having him get voted for just because he's Mormon. Almost all of mine and my husband's Mormon friends are very impressed by Ron Paul, and few of them support Romney just because he's Mormon. Some of the older Mormons are instant Romney supporters, but us young-uns make up a nice large percentage of the State. Don't give up on them.

Other funny thing is, Salt Lake City itself has a low percentage of Mormon residents. The rest of the State has pretty high percentages of Mormons depending on the area, but the metropolitan area of Salt Lake is predominantly not Mormon. Not like there's anything either wrong or right about that.

The following site is a perfect reason to not give up on the Mormons:

http://latterdayconservative.com/

They endorse Ron Paul 100%

Hook
09-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Two of my Mormon friends here in Salt Lake are RP fans. I only know one Romney supporter. Most people I know don't know/care about politics though.
I doubt Paul is going to get the 20-25% that he would need from Utah though. I guess we'll see Jan 5.

archemeedees
09-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Yeah the guy who runs that website joined our group. He's been pretty active at converting Mormons to political activity. Awesome, awesome website that shows the doctrines of the church pertaining to politics.

Hook
09-16-2007, 08:38 PM

They endorse Ron Paul 100%

That suprises me. They are usually in with the Constitution Party. I didn't think Dr. Paul was socially conservative enough for them.

sylvania
09-16-2007, 08:38 PM
I have met some very nice Mormon RP fans at a local meetup.

ButchHowdy
09-16-2007, 08:40 PM
So weird how we label ourselves.

wgadget
09-16-2007, 08:43 PM
LOL. Today I was looking for a church to pass out my RP flyers to, and I drove past the Mormon Church that is a half-mile from my house. I have to admit I chuckled to myself about the joke of taking them to the Mormon church, thinking that Romney was a shoe-in for them.

Thanks for the enlightenment...Maybe I'll catch them next week!

Hook
09-16-2007, 08:44 PM
So weird how we label ourselves.

That is the only way our monkey-brains can manage the flood of information we have to keep track of. We categorize things in an abstraction heirarchy so that we don't have to keep track of every single property of everything seperately.

hopeforamerica
09-16-2007, 08:47 PM
I have met some very nice Mormon RP fans at a local meetup.

Me too, and VERY active ones as well.

shyfrog
09-16-2007, 08:54 PM
If it surprises anyone here, give a listen to, or read some of the speeches given by Ezra Taft Benson during his stint as Secretary of Agriculture. Also Marion G. Romney (Mitt's uncle...Mitt needs a serious lesson from him) and J. Reuben Clark. These men are the reason I was instantly transfixed to the beacon that is Ron Paul's message. There is very little difference, if any.

archemeedees
09-16-2007, 10:19 PM
LOL. Today I was looking for a church to pass out my RP flyers to, and I drove past the Mormon Church that is a half-mile from my house. I have to admit I chuckled to myself about the joke of taking them to the Mormon church, thinking that Romney was a shoe-in for them.

Thanks for the enlightenment...Maybe I'll catch them next week!

The only problem I can see you having here is if you try to hand them out in person. I don't know what the members of that specific area are like, but I know that even I myself would not want someone handing me literature on my way out of a worship meeting and I'd probably refuse it because I'm used to having people try to hand me anti-Mormon literature attacks, and it's possible that their first thought would be that you were handing them something similar. So if most of the members refuse, don't give up. I do like the idea of putting them on people's windshields. May I suggest handing out Ron Paul's statement of faith? That'd catch 'em. It's at this link. http://www.covenantnews.com/ronpaul070721.htm

KingTheoden
09-16-2007, 10:57 PM
I think that Mitt Romney has little real support in large part due to his inability to maintain a position on an issue. He has proclaimed himself to be - until last year - a moderate to liberal politician. Mormons are not easily fooled and this can be seen in his lackluster revenues despite a friendly media. Subtracting out his personal loans to his campaign, he is right around where Ron Paul is as of the last filing. Imagine, a person who have gotten almost no coverage is right up there with Romney!

Romney's wife has been a long time supporter of Planned Parenthood. Though not all Mormons are staunch pro-lifers, I would imagine Mitt loses more votes than he gains with this in mind.

0zzy
09-16-2007, 11:04 PM
A mormon girl in my class (who evidently gets easily offended when people talk about modern-day polygamy) supports Romney cause "he's a good person". Pshh, 17 year olds make me laugh.

archemeedees
09-16-2007, 11:07 PM
A mormon girl in my class (who evidently gets easily offended when people talk about modern-day polygamy) supports Romney cause "he's a good person". Pshh, 17 year olds make me laugh.

I would think most women would get offended at the idea of modern-day polygamy. I want my husband to myself, lol.

0zzy
09-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Great explanation by a fellow mormon.

http://www.proconstitution.com/lds_perspective_romney_paul.php

jonahtrainer
09-16-2007, 11:17 PM
I would think most women would get offended at the idea of modern-day polygamy. I want my husband to myself, lol.

How selfish! Think of the children .... all of them from ten wives; the rest of us need kids to free ride off of with our SS.

As far as Mormons go; a friend I talked to used the argument that Romney will say whatever he needs to in order to be elected but then rule well. He also said politicians have to compromise or they cannot win. Another friend I talked to used the vote for the lesser of evils reasoning.

I found his first point unpersuasive. His second point I found fairly persuasive. Ron Paul's shot is fairly low because he is so committed to a position. However, I did read about a liberal democrat who would vote RP over HC because he at least knew what he was getting with RP. I confronted the argument by stating the Vegas odds as being equal for RP and MR.

So, maybe there is hope that the American people want a good, wise and honest candidate instead of a clever chameleon.

0zzy
09-16-2007, 11:19 PM

Ya true :), but when it was discussed in class she was trying to say it didn't existed in modern day.

katao
09-16-2007, 11:29 PM
One problem I've faced in Utah is the very real desire by LDS folks to be "mainstream". They are so sensitive to public opinion, stemming from the public ridicule from past practices of polygamy, that they eschew anything that hints at non-mainstream political beliefs (even when it goes against their core principles).

The key to winning over LDS folks is for RP to be mainstream. In other words, they are late adopters and winning early primaries in NH, NV, WY, SC, etc. is crucial. If that happens, you'll see Mitt defectors left and right, perhaps even enough to win Utah.

glts
09-17-2007, 07:08 AM
Great explanation by a fellow mormon.

http://www.proconstitution.com/lds_perspective_romney_paul.php

Hey my sister wrote that. :)

TexMac
09-17-2007, 07:40 AM

They endorse Ron Paul 100%I've been keeping up on this blog for quite a while. They're 100% Ron Paul as well.

http://lds4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

Original_Intent
09-17-2007, 08:52 AM
If Mormon's follow the principles of their religion, and educate themselves, they will vote RP every time. Too many are willing to just vote for a fellow Mormon on the assumption that because he is Mormon he will follow the principle of supporting the Constitution.

The good news here in Utah is that I think so many people will assume that Romney is going to win the state they will not feel the need to go vote in the primaries, and I feel that with Paul's low polling numbers, etc this could actually play in our favor and there could be an upset.

The bad news is, donation wise, there are a lot of LDS folks who are donating the maximum to Romney, he has gotten more contributions from Utah than all the other candidates of both parties combined.

The OP is right though - Utah is not beyond hope of getting an RP win.

mconder
09-17-2007, 09:17 AM
supports Romney cause "he's a good person"

Mitt used to be the Stake President (Local Church Leader) of one of the ladies in our Meetup. This is what she said about Mitt..."There is a difference between a good person and a wise person."

Badger Paul
09-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Where Mormon support will be crucial will be in Nevada. If you can reach out to Mormons there to support RP, he'll win the Jan. 19 caucus.