PDA

View Full Version : Pre-emptive Canvassing (A little -fill in the blanks- help please)

ronpaulhawaii
03-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Seems Obama is sending out his grassroots on Saturday to canvass in favor of his recovery package. Video is here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8QVg2TWLo8

I'm thinking of canvassing my precinct and need slimjim content

The following was thrown together point by point from the video. I'd love to see what you all can come up with to "fill in the "..." blanks"

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our Economy, You, and I

As usual, we are hearing a lot of promises and pronouncements from Washington regarding the current "crisis". Unfortunately, the air this time is so hot we could all get burned. I am an independent activist; concerned enough to have dropped this info by your place. Just some food for thought.

The economic situation is un-precedented. There is tendency of some to panic in these situations and mistakes are easily made. It is up to the vigilant to watch closely and inform themselves of as many sides of the story as possible. (Then act accordingly.) Here is how I see the new "Recovery Plan":

Some will claim that the recovery plan is "already putting Americans back to work, what they are not telling you is...

Some will claim that that the plan will "re-start" lending and help responsible borrowers, but...

Some will claim that lack of regulation is at the heart of the matter, I see ...

Some will claim that big gov't is the solution to the crisis, history shows that big gov't IS THE PROBLEM. Consider these areas:

(Insert "Since Gov't intervention" bullets with "this plan will" follow on

Health care- ...

Education - (just created in 1976?) ...

Environment - (ethanol debacle?) (need to be gentle here, most everyone likes the idea of clean energy)...

Finally, people will claim all kinds of things about taxes. The tax-code is so complicated no-one can talk authoritively about it. What is usually ignored is the hidden tax of inflation. That is pretty simple understand, Inflation is...

Back side

Following is a list of resources I have used to form my opinions. Again, I ask you to study the issue for yourself. If you see what I see, I implore you to talk to your friends and neighbors, get into the habit calling/writing your representatives to voice your support or opposition to current events. Get back involved, please. And thank you for taking the time to read this.

YouTubes (best three re: economics)
(Short, entertaining; Med, entertaining; Long,)

Websites... (best three re: economics)

(are there any that take a more simplified, lighthearted approach?)
CfL
Mises

Books (best three re: economics)

Meltdown

Contact info -
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LittleLightShining
03-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Some will claim that that the plan will "re-start" lending and help responsible borrowers, but...banks will always lend to responsible borrowers. Irresponsible credit is what put us into the position we are in now.

I know I just saw something about the amount of money that could go to schools that goes to the DOE... I can't remember where-- I think it was on rpf, though.

Everyone likes clean energy but the only people who like ethanol are the corn growers. Maybe a mention of how much oil it takes to produce a gallon of ethanol?

Finally, people will claim all kinds of things about taxes. The tax-code is so complicated no-one can talk authoritively about it. What is usually ignored is the hidden tax of inflation. That is pretty simple understand, Inflation is...expansion of the money supply which contributes to the rising costs of food, fuel and etc.. .While your income stays the same the price of the things you buy keeps going up. (I know it's not the most scientific explanation but it's understandable to the average Joe.)

Deborah K
03-18-2009, 10:28 AM
I like this quote: "You can't spend your way out of a mess that you spent your way into."

I don't understand why Americans aren't boiling this down to a microcosm. In other words, if you were about to go bankrupt, because you mishandled your finances, would you honestly think that the answer to your problem was to borrow and spend MORE money????

ronpaulhawaii
03-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys,

Ive created a googledoc, If anyone wants in...

Jeremy
03-18-2009, 10:40 AM
I see he is blaming it on Bush... even though they have the same exact policies...

ronpaulhawaii
03-18-2009, 10:55 AM
I see he is blaming it on Bush... even though they have the same exact policies...

How's this?

"Some will claim that that the plan will "re-start" lending and help responsible borrowers, but these are the same politicians who promoted the irresponsible lending, through their influence over institutions like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, that caused the mess in the first place. This is just more of the same."

Jeremy
03-18-2009, 10:57 AM
I meant Obama is blaming it on Bush. sorry for the confusion =p

ronpaulhawaii
03-18-2009, 10:59 AM
I meant Obama is blaming it on Bush. sorry for the confusion =p

Yeah I know, but I am specifically leaving names off the doc...

Attacking policy, not people...