PDA

View Full Version : What about buying RP ads in gun magazines?

misconstrued
09-16-2007, 07:33 PM
There's been some talk recently about targeting gun shows, but what about getting ads in gun magazines? Maybe this has already been talked about. Just an idea. Thoughts?

ItsTime
09-16-2007, 07:34 PM
There's been some talk recently about targeting gun shows, but what about getting ads in gun magazines? Maybe this has already been talked about. Just an idea. Thoughts?

Can it be done within the next issues?

MicroBalrog
09-16-2007, 07:36 PM
I suggested it earlier, but there was no reaction and, being Israeli and lacking funds, I can't do it myself.

That said, the magazine I sometimes write for expressed some interest in the idea.

http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/index.cfm?affID=uscca

misconstrued
09-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Here is the online forum for Guns & Ammo. I don't see any talk of Ron Paul:
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=40

Here is the contact info for advertising both online and in print:
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/gaadvertising/

Any other good gun magazines? I don't know the first thing about gun magazines. Any lurking NRA members on here that want to head this up? I have no problem donating to ads...

philipsantamaria
09-16-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm heading to a Miami Gun show November 4 to pass out the Slim Jims and other pro-gun literature.

trispear
09-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Hi Phil,

Glad to here that, especially with that bullshit exclusivity deal with FT recently.

I think ads in a gun magazine would be excellent, but some are so thick they'd be easy to miss unless it's a second or back page ad.

Kregener
09-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Another excellent idea!

Gun owners and enthusiasts are PRIME for a candidate like Ron Paul! I am of this fraternity, and I can tell you from my years on various BBS's, they are sick and TIRED of 'the same old same old'!

Many of them are still hoodwinked by the neocon agenda, but they are coming around, one gun owner at a time...

trispear
09-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Perhaps a better and cheaper idea for our poorer friends would be to try to get a letter to the editor, or perhaps even get an Article submitted about Doctor Paul:)

LibertyEagle
09-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Can it be done within the next issues?

That's a good point. If we're going to do this, we need to get right on it.

I will gladly donate to this effort, if it comes to fruition.

What are the big gun magazines?

misconstrued
09-16-2007, 07:47 PM
We need someone who knows how these people think and how to address their concerns and get them excited about Ron Paul. That's why I suggested NRA members :) If someone can get a good Ad together I'm sure we can round up some money for this quickly!

Another idea is buying Guns & Ammo's targeted mailing list... I know that a lot of magazines sell this stuff....

misconstrued
09-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Perhaps a better and cheaper idea for our poorer friends would be to try to get a letter to the editor, or perhaps even get an Article submitted about Doctor Paul:)

We should try that too! Definitely!

saku39
09-16-2007, 08:03 PM
This is a great idea!

cac1963
09-16-2007, 08:05 PM
I agree, great idea, and I'll toss in a few bucks to help. What about other outdoorsy mags like field and stream, outdoor living, etc? All the ones that appeal to the Rugged individualists among us?

itsnobody
09-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Yeah thats a great idea...we should place ads in lots of different types of magazines...

Lord Xar
09-16-2007, 08:09 PM
why not hit gun forums and post the voting records of the candidates.. I mean, just post facts.. thats it... that will also spread too.... I am surprised some of us are not already on there talking about Ron Paul's gun stances and such.,

misconstrued
09-16-2007, 08:17 PM
why not hit gun forums and post the voting records of the candidates.. I mean, just post facts.. thats it... that will also spread too.... I am surprised some of us are not already on there talking about Ron Paul's gun stances and such.,

We need to setup (or find) a candidate neutral site that shows the voting records/stances of all the Republican candidates. The Ron Paul gun rights slim jims have a lot of this information anyways. We need to link to sources though. Maybe we can setup a page on Wikipedia? Just throwing out ideas...

ksuguy
09-16-2007, 08:22 PM

You must not visit many gun forums. There are plenty of us out there. Unfortunately, I don't think we are going to get many more votes that way. From what I've seen its pretty much equally divided between Ron Paul and Fred, and the Fred people aren't changing their mind.

Some of them even admit that Ron is the better gun rights candidate, but they still support Fred because they think he has a better chance at winning or because they disagree with Ron on foreign policy.

SWATH
09-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Yes there is certainly some need for more "Ronbots" as they are called here on what is possibly the largest gun website on the net, with over 100k members:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=137
(politics and activism, mostly pro Ron Paul)

and here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=5
(general discussion, much more traffic but mostly pro-Fred and anti-Paul)

Please don't spam, the neocons there are intensely annoyed by it, and if you do post come with all the facts jack (i.e. know your shit, know your history, and know your military matters as many there are military), they are also very knowledgeable and are quick to go for the throat if they sense intellectual weakness. Don't start hammering away new threads until you get a good amount of posts under you belt or they will dismiss you as a spammer. Lastly go there with the knowledge that it's about 50% hardcore Fredheads and 40% hardcore Paulites and 10% that could go either way and remember you are not necessarily debating to change the neocon minds you are doing it for the hundreds of lurkers who are reading and learning and not participating.

Also the largest class III show and machine gun shoot in the country is the second weekend in October in Knob Creek Kentucky, this would be a GREAT opportunity because out of ALL the gun people, these are the most oppressed by the government. We just have to let them know that Ron Paul is their ONLY hope of repealing the NFA '34, GCA '68/'86, and getting new machine guns legal again by repealing the section in FOPA '86 that closed the BATFE registry. BTW these people are extremely motivated to get rid of the BATFE!

MsDoodahs
09-16-2007, 09:07 PM
QUOTE=philipsantamaria;193586]I'm heading to a Miami Gun show November 4 to pass out the Slim Jims and other pro-gun literature.[/QUOTE]

If this is one of the gun shows sponsored by this group, you may not be allowed to do it:

http://www.floridagunshows.com/

The guy who owns that company has given Fred Thompson EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS to advertise at his shows.

It was announced in the Miami Herald on Friday.

:(

RCA
09-16-2007, 09:11 PM
I'll chip in. If we're going to do it, let's do it right. Let's go for the back cover of Guns & Ammo Magazine!

cac1963
09-16-2007, 09:15 PM
I'll chip in. If we're going to do it, let's do it right. Let's go for the back cover of Guns & Ammo Magazine!

Ok let's do it. Who'll create the ad copy? Who'll check out the ad rates? Whose PAC will handle the pooling of funds?

MsDoodahs
09-16-2007, 09:16 PM
JPFO is a VASTLY better organization than the NRA, they are not a sellout.

http://www.jpfo.org/

Magazines for ads, how about Shotgun News?

Backwoods Home Magazine (I have not read it in years, but I used to subscribe pre war...they went to rah rah USA for my taste and I dropped them. Masaad Ayoob wrote for them now and then...)

cac1963
09-16-2007, 09:23 PM
I agree with another poster that we should target several different types of mags, such as guns, alternative medicine, etc. Could we figure out five or six different categories and create some relevant ad copy for each, then try to target the top circulating mag in each category for a full page (back page) ad?

And also can we make the ads available freely for use in smaller, regional mags that individual meetup groups might be able to swing on their own?

Category:
Guns - RP's 2nd Amendment position
Alt. Medicine - RP's health freedom policies

What are some of the other issues he has wide appeal on, that have their own magazines?

SWATH
09-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Don't forget "American Rifleman" the magazine most NRA members choose.

markpa
09-16-2007, 09:40 PM
My meet up is setting up a booth at a gun show in a few weeks, I'm pretty excited about it.

misconstrued
09-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Ok let's do it. Who'll create the ad copy? Who'll check out the ad rates? Whose PAC will handle the pooling of funds?

I already sent an email off to Guns & Ammo asking what their ad rates are and deadlines. I'll post when I get a reply.