PDA

View Full Version : How isn't this whole AIG bonuses vs. US Government NOT an ex post facto attempt??

socialize_me
03-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Well?? I find it unconstitutional (go figure) and illegal for the Government to do this...I can understand preventing it in the future, but to retroactively go back and take back bonus money paid out in the past IS a form of ex post facto law which is prohibited by the Constitution, no?

Seems like no one on TV is bringing this point up..not even Congressmen opposed to confiscating corporate salaries.

fedup100
03-17-2009, 12:22 PM
How can something be expost facto when what they did and are doing and everything in the future they plan on doing IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL?

There is no Constitution or law any longer. They are lawless and looting us as they go. WE, will pay for this at the threat of prison if we don't cough it up!

Xenophage
03-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Its ironic, silly, ludicrous, hysterical, absurd, moronic... do I even care if they take the money back? No. I hope they take it back, then give it away again, then take it back again. Make it more entertaining.

The Government is "upset" because the money they stole and gave to AIG isn't being used the way they wanted. They can all rot in hell, and hopefully will if my own atheism proves incorrect in the end.

socialize_me
03-17-2009, 12:46 PM
How can something be expost facto when what they did and are doing and everything in the future they plan on doing IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL?

There is no Constitution or law any longer. They are lawless and looting us as they go. WE, will pay for this at the threat of prison if we don't cough it up!

You're right and I'm not arguing the fact that it was unconstitutional in the first place to give them bailout money--I agree with you there. But at least you can make somewhat of a case for this--interstate commerce, general welfare, etc. basically the usual defenses for anything the government does.

However, the provision that states CLEARLY that you cannot make ex post facto laws is made explicit in the Constitution. How the HELL isn't this ex post facto law??

Mesogen
03-17-2009, 12:52 PM
It's not post facto because it's a tax.

But if it only targets the AIG bonuses, then it is a bill of attainder.

moostraks
03-17-2009, 12:56 PM
The Government is "upset" because the money they stole and gave to AIG isn't being used the way they wanted. They can all rot in hell, and hopefully will if my own atheism proves incorrect in the end.
:D I needed this! You made my day!! How true about the government!!!

TastyWheat
03-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Most of the polls I've seen show that the people aren't happy with the bailouts themselves. I think the Democrats and Obama are trying to demonize AIG to make Washington seem like the good guy again.