PDA

View Full Version : Fred's PAC and his campaign

LibertyEagle
09-16-2007, 05:50 PM
I just got an email from Friends of Fred Thompson. It of course has a message from the Friends of Fred Thompson and then links me to the Fred08 website? This is what I was directed to...

Be a Fred 08 Kick-off Champion!
The Pre-Season is over… NOW is the Time

Join us as we make sure that Fred takes the field with the best Team Possible. Be a part of the starting lineup!!!!

We want everyone on board…no contribution is too small. Show your support for Fred in the month of September:
Raise or give $100
Raise or give $500
Raise or give $1,000
Raise $5,000
Raise $10,000
Raise $25,000
Become a Founder
by raising $46,000

Paid for by Friends of Fred Thompson, Inc.

What I want to know is how can "Friends of Fred Thompson", which sounds like a PAC, be so intimately involved with the official campaign website. They're all over that too, not to mention be doing all this fund raising? This might be something we should know, because if it is legal, then we probably should be doing it too.

If you go to the Fred site, http://www.fred08.com/Index.aspx, you will see "Paid for by Friends of Fred Thompson" at the bottom of the page. How are they getting away with this, is what I want to know. Clearly, I'm not understanding something about the FEC rules. What am I not getting?

ronpaulyourmom
09-16-2007, 05:55 PM
It's more than likely that Friends for Fred Thompson is not a PAC but actually his official PCC. They can pretty much name those things whatever they want as I understand it, but I'm no expert.

Chester Copperpot
09-16-2007, 06:04 PM
It's more than likely that Friends for Fred Thompson is not a PAC but actually his official PCC. They can pretty much name those things whatever they want as I understand it, but I'm no expert.

Me neither.. BUt I think Ive heard that people can donate up to $50K to pacs.. and then the pacs themselves can donate alot of that money to the campaigns.... Im sure Ron Paul is the ONLY guy doing this the right way..$2,300 max per person. Since most of the RP donators are smaller they can kjeep donating every month, week, etc.. so in a way that is good.. If we can keep the internet donations coming in at $100K a day the opposition will be finisihed.

ItsTime
09-16-2007, 06:12 PM
how do you raise more than the $2,300? I have a few ideas that could hall in a lot more than that!

LibertyEagle
09-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Me neither.. BUt I think Ive heard that people can donate up to $50K to pacs.. and then the pacs themselves can donate alot of that money to the campaigns.... Im sure Ron Paul is the ONLY guy doing this the right way..$2,300 max per person. Since most of the RP donators are smaller they can kjeep donating every month, week, etc.. so in a way that is good.. If we can keep the internet donations coming in at $100K a day the opposition will be finisihed.

We are not bringing in 100K a day. That was ONE, exceptionally high day.

LibertyEagle
09-16-2007, 06:20 PM
how do you raise more than the $2,300? I have a few ideas that could hall in a lot more than that!

Well, my understanding is that everyone can donate up to 5K to a given PAC and there are a couple of Ron Paul ones out there, at least. These are being used for grassroots advertising (TV commercials, newspaper ads, radio ads). If you know of a way to raise money for these efforts, I know Lord Xar and Skiingff would be very appreciative, in addition to all the Ron Paul supporters out there.

With regard to how a PAC can raise the money that Friends for Fred Thompson is talking about and funnel it to the campaign... well that, I have NO IDEA. I wish I knew.

ItsTime
09-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Well, my understanding is that everyone can donate up to 5K to a given PAC and there are a couple of Ron Paul ones out there, at least. These are being used for grassroots advertising (TV commercials, newspaper ads, radio ads). If you know of a way to raise money for these efforts, I know Lord Xar and Skiingff would be very appreciative, in addition to all the Ron Paul supporters out there.

With regard to how a PAC can raise the money that Friends for Fred Thompson is talking about and funnel it to the campaign... well that, I have NO IDEA. I wish I knew.

Thank you for that info, I will ramble off my list of ideas in a thread in a few days and see which ones stick.

uncloned21
09-16-2007, 06:26 PM
whats a pac and pcc?

LibertyEagle
09-16-2007, 07:16 PM
whats a pac and pcc?

PAC = Political Action Committee
PCC = I think that stands for Political Campaign Committee (i.e. the official campaign)

bbachtung
09-16-2007, 07:47 PM
PCC = Presidential Campaign Committee

I believe that Fred's official campaign committee (PCC) is Friends of Fred Thompson.

cjhowe
09-16-2007, 08:25 PM
When you help write the law, it doesn't apply to you :)