PDA

View Full Version : Probably going to lose my jobs over marijuana

AThousandYoung
09-16-2007, 04:57 PM
I have a misdemeanor for marijuana possession. I just got promoted in one job and offered another in a sister company. On the application I had to write if I had misdemeanours. I'm probably going to be fired from the job I just was promoted in and denied this second job from a company that was extremely excited to have me simply because of the War on Drugs. It has nothing to do with my performance, which has been stellar.

I have an inalienable right to my own body and to pursue happiness. I hope Ron Paul wins. I can't stand the control freaks who have been in charge of this country for so long.

BillyDkid
09-16-2007, 05:02 PM
I have a misdemeanor for marijuana possession. I just got promoted in one job and offered another in a sister company. On the application I had to write if I had misdemeanours. I'm probably going to be fired from the job I just was promoted in and denied this second job from a company that was extremely excited to have me simply because of the War on Drugs. It has nothing to do with my performance, which has been stellar.

I have an inalienable right to my own body and to pursue happiness. I hope Ron Paul wins. I can't stand the control freaks who have been in charge of this country for so long.
It used to be that people would be appalled at companies being involved in our personal life in this way. But freedom is lost incrementally and it creeps up on people and they accept this stuff as normal. Not that a company should not be free to hire or not hire whomever they want, but this really part of the government never ending "war on drugs" (which is really a war on liberty).

BenIsForRon
09-16-2007, 05:16 PM
Yeah, if it wasn't illegal we wouldn't have to worry about stuff like this, companies wouldn't care if you smoked or not. I don't know if it would be any help, but NORML's site has a lot of info to help people with marijuana charges.

mdh
09-16-2007, 05:17 PM

That's still pretty harsh to be declined based on a misdemeanor. You can still get TS clearance with a misdemeanor.

AThousandYoung
09-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Well, it's not certain yet. I'm from California, actually. I was having severe financial problems so I couldn't afford to pay the $150 it would take to get a doctor's recommendation. (This in response to your signature, which I now realize wasn't directed at me).

If I get fired, I will continue to have financial problems. It's a vicious circle.

AThousandYoung
09-16-2007, 05:51 PM
It used to be that people would be appalled at companies being involved in our personal life in this way. But freedom is lost incrementally and it creeps up on people and they accept this stuff as normal. Not that a company should not be free to hire or not hire whomever they want, but this really part of the government never ending "war on drugs" (which is really a war on liberty).

Right. They'd never have known if I hadn't been arrested. I don't think most of my employers even care, but they have an official drug free policy (of course, not counting alcohol...). They never asked specifically about drugs but rather if I had any felonies or misdemeanors.

Manible
09-16-2007, 06:32 PM

You'll be ok.

ChooseLiberty
09-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Some people are asking for it though. They're all too happy to live in a cell in a straight jacket if they think they're "safe" - <cut to clip of terrified mommy holding baby here>.

That's the f'd up part.

Hurricane Bruiser
09-16-2007, 08:08 PM
It all depends on the employer. Many employers would be more interested in a violent type of offense and might just overlook this. We (Church Org) run background checks on every new hire and occasionally bump into someone that had a past record of some sort. When that happens it just depends on what it was, how long ago, and whether it might impact the position the person would be in.

McDermit
09-16-2007, 09:08 PM
You should be alright, but good luck in any event.

It's not my cup of tea, but 4 of my friends were just arrested about an hour ago for marijuana shit. A cop saw them buying outside a convenient mart. Lame.

Marceline88
09-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Hang in there. It's certainly unjust that Cannabis is prohibited. This War on herbal medicine, war on pleasure must end. God willing, every thing will work out for the best for you.