PDA

View Full Version : People Sell Bread for Gold in Zimbabwe

Dripping Rain
03-16-2009, 08:51 AM
trailer of the coming hyperinflation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3LdNxV0yPM

He Who Pawns
03-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Hell, I should go there with a few crates of granola bars and come back with a couple of gold bars.

Dripping Rain
03-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Hell, I should go there with a few crates of granola bars and come back with a couple of gold bars.

now that is capitalism but you really arent going to be that cheap are you? I mean a granola bar for a bar of gold? I find that quite unethical

orafi
03-16-2009, 09:23 AM
now that is capitalism but you really arent going to be that cheap are you? I mean a granola bar for a bar of gold? I find that quite unethical

Hey, they need food, don't they?

Mitt Romneys sideburns
03-16-2009, 09:28 AM

If you are in the middle of the desert dying of thirst, and someone offers you a gallon of water for a bar of gold, doesnt that seem like a good deal?

angelatc
03-16-2009, 09:29 AM
It took them years to get into this mess, there's no way to fix it overnight.

They legalized competing currencies. It will work itself out, *if* they allow the people that actually know how to farm to own farms again.

Dripping Rain
03-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Hey, they need food, don't they?

im not against making bucks but wheres the line drawn?
i mean there is a line between making profit and exploitation

Dripping Rain
03-16-2009, 09:32 AM
If you are in the middle of the desert dying of thirst, and someone offers you a gallon of water for a bar of gold, doesnt that seem like a good deal?

speaking for myself? Id give him water for charity than asking for money.
if I was the thirsty one and I had a bar of gold. Yes Id give him the bar of gold. knowing that hes exploiting my situation I wont take it lightly and Ill make him pay if the situation was reversed but I will have to in order to survivve

angelatc
03-16-2009, 09:35 AM

Nonsense. Let the market work it out.

Dripping Rain
03-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Nonsense. Let the market work it out.

i agree
let the market work it out. but I was just touching on a personal matter here. i dont care if anyone changes their views. just leaving room for honest debate on moral issues

angelatc
03-16-2009, 09:43 AM
The time for debating moral issues was when the Nobel Peace Prize winner they call President was violently taking all the farmland away from the white farmers, and redistributing it to the black population who unfortunately do not know how to farm.

The people who are starving are the people who were cheering him on. Go figure.

2000: Zimbabwe Begins Final Phase of Land Redistribution : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/834486.stm

2001: Land Grab Causes Famine http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=25383

orafi
03-16-2009, 09:47 AM

if you're not going to rip them off, someone else will.

they're willing to trade gold for food bro. if you'd like, i could go over there and sell twice as much bread per unit of gold than any of my competitors.

i mean, at least with more "exploiters", the price of bread will go down a bit because of increased supply. a job or two could even be created. it's all for the best.

the real exploiters, however, are the country's central banksters, oh, and the international banksters. if you need somebody to draw the line, its those sons of guns.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
03-16-2009, 09:47 AM
speaking for myself? Id give him water for charity than asking for money.
if I was the thirsty one and I had a bar of gold. Yes Id give him the bar of gold. knowing that hes exploiting my situation I wont take it lightly and Ill make him pay if the situation was reversed but I will have to in order to survivve

How is he exploiting your situation? Its a function of supply/demand. In the desert, water is a scarce resource. Its worth a lot more to you in the desert than it is when you are standing in the middle of a river.

He Who Pawns
03-16-2009, 09:48 AM
So did all the white people basically leave the country? Or are some of them still around to try to bring back the farms once Mugabe is gone?

BTW, why haven't these people overthrown Mugabe?

Dripping Rain
03-16-2009, 09:49 AM
The time for debating moral issues was when the Nobel Peace Prize winner they call President was violently taking all the farmland away from the white farmers, and redistributing it to the black population who unfortunately do not know how to farm.

The people who are starving are the people who were cheering him on. Go figure.

what i was saying has nothing to do with zimbabwe. its a hypothetical question that came up when someone made a hypothetical point i saw as "hypothetically immoral"

but since you brought up ,zimbabwe wouldnt that be collectivism? to lump them all into one category because of what their "democratically elected" Fuhrer and his minions did?

ps i never knew zimbabwes fuhrer got the NPP? im not surprised since Paul Krigman also got a Nobel Prize

angelatc
03-16-2009, 09:49 AM
So did all the white people basically leave the country? Or are some of them still around to try to bring back the farms once Mugabe is gone?

BTW, why haven't these people overthrown Mugabe?

The people who weren't killed left.

Dripping Rain
03-16-2009, 09:50 AM
if you're not going to rip them off, someone else will.

they're willing to trade gold for food bro. if you'd like, i could go over there and sell twice as much bread per unit of gold than any of my competitors.

i mean, at least with more "exploiters", the price of bread will go down a bit because of increased supply. a job or two could even be created. it's all for the best.

the real exploiters, however, are the country's central banksters, oh, and the international banksters. if you need somebody to draw the line, its those sons of guns.

i agree with you dont misunderstand me. what i was discussing was WHP's hypothetical comment that hed sell a granola bar for a gold bar
thats all

noxagol
03-16-2009, 09:51 AM
what i was saying has nothing to do with zimbabwe. its a hypothetical question that came up when someone made a hypothetical point i saw as "hypothetically immoral"

but since you brought up ,zimbabwe wouldnt that be collectivism? to lump them all into one category because of what their "democratically elected" Fuhrer and his minions did?

ps i never knew zimbabwes fuhrer got the NPP? im not surprised since Paul Krigman also got a Nobel Prize

It does bring about a perfect example of why democracy, and government in general, is bad. It is nothing but a tool for someone to steal from someone else.

Dripping Rain
03-16-2009, 09:54 AM
How is he exploiting your situation? Its a function of supply/demand. In the desert, water is a scarce resource. Its worth a lot more to you in the desert than it is when you are standing in the middle of a river.

since were all talking hypothetical and now were going into realism. show me one place in the world where you can get a drink of water for a gold bar. we were talking about someone whos dying from thirst in the desert. ps even those who live in the desert take pride in their gold and still use it for their daily transactions

Dripping Rain
03-16-2009, 09:54 AM
It does bring about a perfect example of why democracy, and government in general, is bad. It is nothing but a tool for someone to steal from someone else.

+1

angelatc
03-16-2009, 09:59 AM

Sorry, but I'm a numbers person. :) It is collectivism, but apparently some Zimbabweans have access to bread. Hopefully those are the people that saw the train wreck ahead and did *not* vote for Obama. I mean, Mugabe. :)

Apparently I am wrong! I thought he won , but a quick Google indicates that he was only nominated.

Dripping Rain
03-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Sorry, but I'm a numbers person. :) It is collectivism, but apparently some Zimbabweans have access to bread. Hopefully those are the people that saw the train wreck ahead and did *not* vote for Obama. I mean, Mugabe. :)

Apparently I am wrong! I thought he won , but a quick Google indicates that he was only nominated.

lol
thanks for the info.

ps we should be more careful to not be collectivists when it comes to people

voytechs
03-16-2009, 10:09 AM

You are assuming there is free market there. You'd probably have to pay hefty bribes not be shot on site by their firing squad. Remember that people aren't poor because the country can't make it. Its because thieves are running the government. So if you try to profit without paying your dues and thus reducing profit for the thieves you are no more.

He Who Pawns
03-16-2009, 10:39 AM
You are assuming there is free market there. You'd probably have to pay hefty bribes not be shot on site by their firing squad. Remember that people aren't poor because the country can't make it. Its because thieves are running the government. So if you try to profit without paying your dues and thus reducing profit for the thieves you are no more.

Good points. Maybe I will hire Blackwater to accompany my trip there. ;)

Mitt Romneys sideburns
03-16-2009, 10:52 AM
since were all talking hypothetical and now were going into realism. show me one place in the world where you can get a drink of water for a gold bar. we were talking about someone whos dying from thirst in the desert. ps even those who live in the desert take pride in their gold and still use it for their daily transactions

I dont even thinks this is a question of morality, its a question of price.

How many granola bars is a gold bar worth?

Im sure had someone said, "I should go to Zimbabwe with 1 ton crates of granola bars and trade them for gold bars" you would have no objection.

When something is scarce, you are going to pay more for it.

tremendoustie
03-16-2009, 03:21 PM
I dont even thinks this is a question of morality, its a question of price.

How many granola bars is a gold bar worth?

Im sure had someone said, "I should go to Zimbabwe with 1 ton crates of granola bars and trade them for gold bars" you would have no objection.

When something is scarce, you are going to pay more for it.

Whatever you can get is fine. However, I think if you refuse food to someone who might otherwise starve, either now or in the near future, this is a highly immoral act. Not illegal, but certainly immoral.

messana
03-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Unless they create services that we can buy from them, then they'd run out of gold pretty quickly.

socialize_me
03-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Actually, 0.1 gram of gold for a loaf of bread is a pretty good deal and isn't a rip off. Considering it would take a little over 311 loafs of bread to equal one troy ounce of gold (which is worth around $925), that's a bargain when considering the circumstances of Zimbabwe. This isn't like you're getting $100 for a loaf of bread here--you're actually getting a little less than $3 worth of gold for each loaf of bread you sell.

Anyone still thinking they're clever and will load up on wholesale foods to resell over there? For one, you'd have to sell a shitload just to break even for the plane tickets, much less the risks you run for traveling to Zimbabwe where the HIV rate is 30%...meaning 1 out of 3 people have HIV. The government isn't friendly, the people are desperate, you all would get your white capitalistic asses macheted by these starving, helpless people for your experiment.

For a little less than $3 for a loaf of bread, that's a pretty good deal considering how much of a shithole Africa is. In many places here in America, $3 for a loaf of bread is standard or at least will be in a year's time. Good luck Fedexing all this shit to Zimbabwe for $80 a package.

OptionsTrader
03-16-2009, 10:35 PM

Selling people bread isn't exploitation.

Give me a break.

OptionsTrader
03-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Whatever you can get is fine. However, I think if you refuse food to someone who might otherwise starve, either now or in the near future, this is a highly immoral act. Not illegal, but certainly immoral.

It is thinking like that that gives us Social Security, Welfare, food stamps, and other schemes. "For the greater good" they say. "It would be immoral not to" they say.

Is it immoral to not give housing to a homeless person?
Is it immoral to not give clothing to a naked person?
Is it immoral to not give child care to single working mothers?

THINKING that others are immoral because they do not want to give their capital to others is the root of the problem.

It's my right to choose to be charitable or not. There is nothing immoral about choosing not to.