PDA

View Full Version : Miac phase ii: Action needed

Bryon Huber
03-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Ok friends, it is imperative that we get this word out to all the newspapers across the NATION. We can't think about Missouri, so if you have 5 minutes of free time to get this story out, search the newspapers in your town and send them THIS template filled in with your info and make them aware of this mess. ALSO, if you want to make revisions, please do but PLEASE make sure that you keep this as positive as possible and not lash out at anyone or anything. This is a time to remain calm and cool!

Thanks to Josh Carter for whipping this Letter to the Editor together and SO well!!! Kudos!

Dear ______,

Let me tell you a bit about myself. My name is ______, I live at/near/in ________. I make a living doing _______. My hobbies include _______ and _______. I am also politically active. I supported _____ during the recent presidential election because of his/her support for peaceful foreign policy as well as sensible domestic policy. The reason I mention this and the reason I am writing you today is because of my concern with a recent Missouri Information Analysis Center Strategic Report.

This report, entitled “The Modern Militia Movement” was distributed to law enforcement officials within Missouri. It contains information on radical militant groups and according to Lt. Hotz at the MIAC, was intended to “let law enforcement officers know what the trends are in the modern militia movement .” Said report was put out by the MIAC, which is a “fusion center” created by the 911 Commission Act of 2007. These fusion centers, being set up all around the country, are tasked with coordinating different levels of law enforcement across the states and across the country.

My concern with this report is that it's sophomoric presentation of facts unfairly and inaccurately characterizes certain peaceful political organizations as militant. I believe that the sloppy manner in which the report makes its points could possibly lead well-meaning law enforcement officers to misinterpret common, peaceful political paraphernalia as a “red flag” indicating radical militarism. Law enforcement officers' jobs are hard enough without being given misleading information about who they should be looking out for.

My contention is not that this report misrepresents those who are violent, but that it names activities and groups without making it clear that the vast majority of the people that make up these groups are in no way militant or violent. For instance, the report lists and displays the First Navy Jack Flag as a “Militia Symbol.” Perhaps some members of some militia that I'm not aware of display this flag as theirs, but until I read this report, the only time I've seen such a flag flown or displayed was by current or former Navy servicemen. As a matter of fact, the entire U.S. Navy was instructed to fly this flag at the beginning of the War on Terror. Are they a violent, radical militia? Certainly not, but how would a law enforcement officer that had no prior knowledge of this flag know that? My grandfather served in the Navy during World War II and I find it disturbing that he may be thought of for even a second as a radical militant for simply displaying the flag that so many of his fellow servicemen proudly fly.

This article likewise misrepresents and identifies by name certain political movements/organizations such as the Libertarian and Constitutional political parties, as well as the lobbying organization Campaign For Liberty. The names of presidential candidates Ron Paul, Bob Barr, and Chuck Baldwin were also mentioned and the report stated that “It is not uncommon for militia members to display Constitutional Party, Campaign For Liberty, or Libertarian Party material.” Perhaps that is not an untrue statement, but it would seem to imply that these political organizations are somehow violent or militant, especially if one is not familiar with them. This article states that violent, radical militia members believe “You[law enforcement officials] Are the Enemy.” Maybe they do, I don't know, I've never met one. But I know I take issue with having a peaceful man/woman that I supported for president being mentioned not only in the same document, but just a few paragraphs later.

These are just a few of the many examples of how this report takes what it represents as facts, and presents them so sloppily and carelessly, that an entirely new idea is formed. I hope in the future whoever is putting together these reports takes more care not to tread so close to slander. There is no excuse for misinforming our hard-working officers of the law, whether intentionally or not.

Sincerely,

LittleLightShining
03-16-2009, 06:04 AM
I posted this in another thread, but it's too long. Most LTE should be about 250-300 words. Also, for people out of state who may have no idea what MIAC is or why they should care about MO if they live elsewhere. I'll work on a shorter letter this morning and include it here.

Bryon Huber
03-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Ok, that sounds great! Thanks so much for your help and input!

acptulsa
03-16-2009, 07:04 AM
Editor, the ______________:

Recently the Missouri Information Analysis Center circulated a memo among all the state's law enforcement agencies ostensibly to help officers know what to look for when hunting 'militia members'. Among the things this memo lists as being indicative of 'militia members' are bumper stickers advertising certain political candidates and copies of the Constitution of the United States.

Now, I don't know who puts the sticker of a Republican presidential candidate on his or her bumper expecting to get profiled as a 'militia member', but I suspect no one does. If you live in Missouri, however, there could be a state agency telling all of the state's law enforcement community that this is what you are. So, if visiting Missouri, do you continue to display the sticker for the candidate of your choice and risk being 'profiled' as a 'militia member'? Or do you let your First Admendment guarantee of free speech slide by the wayside and peel it off?

This is the way we do things in a Republic? We persecute people for advertising their favorite Republican? You know, your candidate may not be on Missouri's list--at the moment. But if we let them get away with this, your candidate could easily be next. Must we now peel all of our political stickers before we visit this state?

As for copies of the Constitution--the document is the supreme law of this land. Now, the rule in this nation is, 'Ignorance of the law is no excuse'. And yet, if we carry a copy of the supreme law of the land we are now at risk of being 'profiled' as 'militia members' while in the state of Missouri. Seems to me like there's one state of the union less interested in seeing us obey the law than in arresting people for whatever excuse they can devise.

It looks to me like the boundaries of our republic end at the Missouri border. I, for one, would at this moment sooner go to Somalia than Missouri. I am outraged.

Sincerely,

etc.

Somewhere around 250 words.

Bryon Huber
03-16-2009, 07:11 AM
My ONLY critique of this Letter is to try and tone down the emotion. Taking words out like "Hunting" and trying to come across AS neutral as possible. Other than that, I think this is a fantastic letter and feel free to spread it and get people to start writing! A thousand internets to all of you!

LittleLightShining
03-16-2009, 07:32 AM
I worked with acp's letter. "joint division" is highlighted because I don't know if that's accurate.

Recently the Missouri Information Analysis Center (a joint division of the Department of Homeland Security and Missouri Law Enforcement agencies) circulated a memo intended to help officers identify 'militia members'. Among the things this memo says to look for are bumper stickers advertising certain political candidates and organizations and copies of the US Constitution.

I don't know who puts the sticker of a presidential candidate on his or her bumper expecting to get profiled as a 'militia member', but I suspect no one does. If you live in Missouri, however, there is a state agency telling all of the state's law enforcement community that this is what you are. So, if visiting Missouri, do you continue to display the sticker and risk being 'profiled' as a 'militia member'? Or do you let your First Admendment guarantee of free speech slide by the wayside and peel it off?

This is America? We persecute people for advertising their favorite Republican? You know, your candidate may not be on Missouri's list--at the moment. But if we let them get away with this, your candidate could easily be next.

As for copies of the Constitution--the document is the supreme law of this land. The rule in this nation is 'Ignorance of the law is no excuse'. And yet, if we carry a copy of the Constitution we are now at risk of being 'profiled' as 'militia members' while in the state of Missouri.

Because the memo was released by a state task force in cooperation with the DHS it is not outrageous to assume that Missouri is not the only state involved. While states struggle to fund their budgets money for law enforcement from DHS seems a good deal. But is it really? Should we trade freedom and liberty for dollars? I think not.

Sincerely,

Dripping Rain
03-16-2009, 07:36 AM
its good but i agree with LLS

I posted this in another thread, but it's too long. Most LTE should be about 250-300 words. Also, for people out of state who may have no idea what MIAC is or why they should care about MO if they live elsewhere. I'll work on a shorter letter this morning and include it here.

Dripping Rain
03-16-2009, 07:37 AM
I worked with acp's letter. "joint division" is highlighted because I don't know if that's accurate.

Recently the Missouri Information Analysis Center (a joint division of the Department of Homeland Security and Missouri Law Enforcement agencies) circulated a memo intended to help officers identify 'militia members'. Among the things this memo says to look for are bumper stickers advertising certain political candidates and organizations and copies of the US Constitution.

I don't know who puts the sticker of a presidential candidate on his or her bumper expecting to get profiled as a 'militia member', but I suspect no one does. If you live in Missouri, however, there is a state agency telling all of the state's law enforcement community that this is what you are. So, if visiting Missouri, do you continue to display the sticker and risk being 'profiled' as a 'militia member'? Or do you let your First Admendment guarantee of free speech slide by the wayside and peel it off?

This is America? We persecute people for advertising their favorite Republican? You know, your candidate may not be on Missouri's list--at the moment. But if we let them get away with this, your candidate could easily be next.

As for copies of the Constitution--the document is the supreme law of this land. The rule in this nation is 'Ignorance of the law is no excuse'. And yet, if we carry a copy of the Constitution we are now at risk of being 'profiled' as 'militia members' while in the state of Missouri.

Because the memo was released by a state task force in cooperation with the DHS it is not outrageous to assume that Missouri is not the only state involved. While states struggle to fund their budgets money for law enforcement from DHS seems a good deal. But is it really? Should we trade freedom and liberty for dollars? I think not.

Sincerely,

+1

slacker921
03-16-2009, 07:54 AM
The "average joe's" that I've shown the entire MIAC document to don't see a problem with it at all.. they think people should be profiled and think the people it describes are dangerous. Two of them specifically said they didn't think it was implying that all Paul supporters or Libertarians were the targets of the profile (and they couldn't see that this was STILL a very dangerous precedent).

I don't like this, and I'm really frustrated by it because there doesn't seem to be an easy solution for us. IMHO if we get massive public exposure then it'll only hurt our image. The average person out there isn't aware of the MIAC document, doesn't think there's a problem with profiling, and sees any association by "the state" of Paul supporters to dangerous people as further evidence that Paul and his supporters are the "fringe" element just as the mainstream media told them.

The best solution seems to be finding some high ranking political figures in MO (i.e. state senators) who can go sit down with the MIAC folks and get at least an apology. Even then, the damage is done.... that document is out there, police have looked it over, etc..

Has the C4L taken any action?

acptulsa
03-16-2009, 08:01 AM
The "average joe's" that I've shown the entire MIAC document to don't see a problem with it at all..

They lack imagination. Did you look at their bumper stickers and explain to them how those stickers could be misconstrued to paint them as 'dangerous'? It can be done with just about anything if you set your mind to it.

If this isn't undemocratic, I don't know the meaning of the word. And all under a Democratic state administration...

I didn't speak up for them, and when they came for me there was no one left to speak up.

Dripping Rain
03-16-2009, 08:09 AM
The "average joe's" that I've shown the entire MIAC document to don't see a problem with it at all.. they think people should be profiled and think the people it describes are dangerous. Two of them specifically said they didn't think it was implying that all Paul supporters or Libertarians were the targets of the profile (and they couldn't see that this was STILL a very dangerous precedent).

I don't like this, and I'm really frustrated by it because there doesn't seem to be an easy solution for us. IMHO if we get massive public exposure then it'll only hurt our image. The average person out there isn't aware of the MIAC document, doesn't think there's a problem with profiling, and sees any association by "the state" of Paul supporters to dangerous people as further evidence that Paul and his supporters are the "fringe" element just as the mainstream media told them.

The best solution seems to be finding some high ranking political figures in MO (i.e. state senators) who can go sit down with the MIAC folks and get at least an apology. Even then, the damage is done.... that document is out there, police have looked it over, etc..

your approach is wrong slacker
when you show the average joe the document you have to have his interests in mind.
for example i sent this email to ALIPAC and showed them the parts citing anti-illegal immigration activists and the reaction was extremely +ve
if your average joe is a birther(thinks Obama was born in Kenya) show him the part in the document that alleges birthers are terrorists
Im still awaiting a response from the National Right to Life Committee since I cited in my email to them the part that lumps anti-abortion activists with terrorists
read this thread and present your case better next time.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=183472
most people wont care for you but you have to give them a reason to at least care for their own well being too

worl
03-16-2009, 08:10 AM

Recently the Missouri Information Analysis Center circulated a memo among all the state's law enforcement agencies ostensibly to help officers know what to look for when hunting 'militia members'. Among the things this memo lists as being indicative of 'militia members' are bumper stickers advertising certain political candidates and copies of the Constitution of the United States.

Now, I don't know who puts the sticker of a Republican presidential candidate on his or her bumper expecting to get profiled as a 'militia member', but I suspect no one does. If you live in Missouri, however, there could be a state agency telling all of the state's law enforcement community that this is what you are. So, if visiting Missouri, do you continue to display the sticker for the candidate of your choice and risk being 'profiled' as a 'militia member'? Or do you let your First Admendment guarantee of free speech slide by the wayside and peel it off?

This is the way we do things in a Republic? We persecute people for advertising their favorite Republican? You know, your candidate may not be on Missouri's list--at the moment. But if we let them get away with this, your candidate could easily be next. Must we now peel all of our political stickers before we visit this state?

As for copies of the Constitution--the document is the supreme law of this land. Now, the rule in this nation is, 'Ignorance of the law is no excuse'. And yet, if we carry a copy of the supreme law of the land we are now at risk of being 'profiled' as 'militia members' while in the state of Missouri. Seems to me like there's one state of the union less interested in seeing us obey the law than in arresting people for whatever excuse they can devise.

It looks to me like the boundaries of our republic end at the Missouri border. I, for one, would at this moment sooner go to Somalia than Missouri. I am outraged.

Sincerely,

etc.

Somewhere around 250 words.

You should change 'militia members' to domestic terriorist. Militia members should not be profiled or tied to terriorist groups. These people need to know that the militia is here to protect the constitution & is authorized by the constitution.

pcosmar
03-16-2009, 08:17 AM

NO not at all. This is getting some media attention, and papers (FOIA and demands for a correction and apology) are being delivered to the Capital today.

Our own response is being formulated as we speak.

slacker921
03-16-2009, 08:36 AM
your approach is wrong slacker
when you show the average joe the document you have to have his interests in mind.
for example i sent this email to ALIPAC and showed them the parts citing anti-illegal immigration activists and the reaction was extremely +ve
if your average joe is a birther(thinks Obama was born in Kenya) show him the part in the document that alleges birthers are terrorists
Im still awaiting a response from the National Right to Life Committee since I cited in my email to them the part that lumps anti-abortion activists with terrorists
read this thread and present your case better next time.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=183472
most people wont care for you but you have to give them a reason to at least care for their own well being too

You misunderstood what I was saying. I wasn't trying to convince them. I was merely trying to find what people think of the MIAC document without me interjecting my beliefs. ALIPAC, birthers, truthers, etc are not the "average joe". Show the MIAC document to the average person who reads your local paper - and let them read the ENTIRE document before you say anything to them.

I think you need to do that before you send letters to the editor... it will help you focus your message and better understand what they want to hear.

Dripping Rain
03-16-2009, 08:41 AM
You misunderstood what I was saying. I wasn't trying to convince them. I was merely trying to find what people think of the MIAC document without me interjecting my beliefs. ALIPAC, birthers, truthers, etc are not the "average joe". Show the MIAC document to the average person who reads your local paper - and let them read the ENTIRE document before you say anything to them.

I think you need to do that before you send letters to the editor... it will help you focus your message and better understand what they want to hear.

i probably did misunderstand but my point is any average joe will think its okay untill they discover that they "fit the description"
you need to give them motive to actually think this is bad. many average joes loved the patriot act because its "patriotic"
but once the democrats are in power now those average joes fear for their "civil liberties" if you know what i mean
we know this is profiling and we understand its dangerous but we need to show others how bad this really is

ronpaulhawaii
03-16-2009, 10:44 AM
how about this one?

Recently the Missouri Information Analysis Center (a joint division of the Department of Homeland Security and Missouri Law Enforcement agencies) circulated a memo intended to help officers identify domestic terroists. Among the things this memo says to look for are: bumper stickers advertising mainstream political candidates/organizations, and copies of the US Constitution.

Please read that last sentence, again

Do those of you, who put the sticker of a presidential candidate on your bumper, expect to get profiled as a possible domestic terrorist? I suspect not. If you live in Missouri, however, there is a state agency telling all of the state's law enforcement community that this is what you may be. So, if visiting Missouri, do you continue to display the sticker and risk being 'profiled'? Or, do you let your First Amendment guarantee of free speech slide by the wayside, and peel it off?

This is America? We profile people for advertising their favorite candidates, (in this case GOP and others)? Your candidate may not be on Missouri's list--at the moment, but if we let them get away with this, your candidate could easily be next.

As for copies of the Constitution--the document is the supreme law of this land. The rule in this nation is 'Ignorance of the law is no excuse'. And yet, if peaceful people carry a copy of the constitution, they are now at risk of being 'profiled' as potential threats?

Because the memo was released by a state task force in cooperation with the DHS it is not outrageous to assume that Missouri is not the only state involved. This, my fellows, is chilling news to those of us who look beyond the headlines, and damning evidence of a creeping disease rotting America.

Respectfully,

p.s. those interested in knowing more about the individuals responding to this can visit: www.libertyclick.com (http://www.libertyclick.com)

Bryon Huber
03-16-2009, 11:07 AM
That's excellent. May we use that template? Thank you all for your HELPFUL critiques!

speciallyblend
03-16-2009, 11:13 AM
once i get to work ,i will make sure colorado papers get this. I am still working on CR2012 projects

i am thinking of using rph's version.

ronpaulhawaii
03-16-2009, 11:45 AM
That's excellent. May we use that template? Thank you all for your HELPFUL critiques!

I love open source campaigning :D

Further edits...

Recently the Missouri Information Analysis Center (a joint division of the Department of Homeland Security and Missouri Law Enforcement agencies) circulated a memo intended to help officers identify domestic terrorists. Among things it says to look for are: bumper stickers advertising mainstream political candidates/organizations, and copies of the US Constitution.

Please read that last sentence, again

Do those of you, who put the sticker of a presidential candidate on your bumper, expect to get profiled as a possible domestic terrorist? I suspect not. In Missouri, however, there is a state agency telling all of the state's law enforcement community that this is what you may be. So, if visiting Missouri, do you continue to display the sticker, and risk being 'profiled'? Or, let your First Amendment guarantee of free speech slide by the wayside, and peel it off?

This is America? We profile people for advertising their favorite candidates, (in this case GOP and others)? Your candidate may not be on Missouri's list--at the moment, but if they get away with this, you could easily be next.

As for copies of the Constitution--the document is the supreme law of this land. The rule in this nation is 'Ignorance of the law is no excuse'. And yet, if peaceful people carry a copy, they are now at risk of being 'profiled' as potential threats?

Because the memo was released by a state task force in cooperation with the DHS, it is not outrageous to assume that Missouri is not the only state involved. This is chilling news to those of us who look beyond the headlines, and damning evidence of a creeping disease rotting America.

Google "MIAC report" for background. Those interested in the individuals responding can visit: http://www.libertyclick.com (http://www.libertyclick.com/)

Respectfully,

LittleLightShining
03-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Too bad the second link when googling miac report is to an asinine thread on glp. "Missouri MIAC" has the first link leading to that same thread. I suggest directing people toward LRP rather than google.

ronpaulhawaii
03-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Too bad the second link when googling miac report is to an asinine thread on glp. "Missouri MIAC" has the first link leading to that same thread. I suggest directing people toward LRP rather than google.

You make a good point. I like the google thing because it says,"find out for yourself!"

I'm not that worried about the glp link and don't think many will choose that site to study the issue. The name alone will turn many off, the fact that it is a forum.../etc...

Your mileage will vary

Re-arrange as desired...

LittleLightShining
03-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Bryon Huber will be on True North Radio (Vermont) today at 11:30 est. Live streaming here: http://www.eve1070.com/