PDA

View Full Version : Iowa should attack South Dakota? (tongue-in-cheek)

Bruno
03-15-2009, 07:54 AM
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090315/OPINION01/903150316/1036/Opinion?GID=4DyPEPsvkiuRc5TbtmoQnc/J9PXccnPdchGFdt+R6tk%3D

Rahm Emanuel famously said in November: "You never want a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."
The Des Moines Register asked former Iowa politicians what they thought. Below is the response from former Iowa Congressman Fred Grandy (also of Love Boat fame). Here is his interesting response:

Be really radical: Reduce the size of government
FRED GRANDY, a Sioux City native and an Iowa congressman from 1987 to 1995, is host of "The Grandy and Andy Morning Show," 630 WMAL, Washington, D.C.

I first asked the editor for clarification about implementing the bold moves of the Emanuel Doctrine: "Are we talking about Iowa or Iowans?"

"Iowa," I was assured. Custodians of the public sector, the governor, the Legislature, the mayor of Humboldt. As opposed to private individuals, who when left unregulated and under-taxed, inevitably grow up to be Bernie Madoff or George W. Bush.

OK, I'll play by those rules. If government is the end, I respectfully propose:

Gov. Chet Culver should quietly mobilize the Iowa National Guard and other quasi-military units at his command and without provocation attack South Dakota. (I have nothing against South Dakota, but of all states bordering Iowa, these guys would clearly be easiest to beat.)

The purpose is not to achieve military victory but to provoke intervention by the federal government and the following sequence: stern warnings to rebellious leaders in Des Moines, protracted negotiations, a fragile cease-fire and major infusions of foreign aid to placate Iowa from going rogue again. This strategy has worked like a charm for North Korea, Iran and now the Palestinian Authority.

The other option is for public officials in Iowa to go in the opposite direction of the new administration and drastically cut taxes, deregulate business and industry, reduce the size of government and in so doing make Iowa an oasis for investment and growth amid a vast national desert of spending and debt. A kind of Obama-Free State. But some ideas are just too radical for serious consideration.

Pericles
03-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Way to go, Fred!:D