PDA

View Full Version : The proven link between ssri drugs and shooting rampages

WarDog
03-13-2009, 09:13 AM
http://www.ssristories.com/index.php

acptulsa
03-13-2009, 09:15 AM
They're depressed! Well, don't look for the underlying causes. Too much work. Just feed them speed until they're manic!

A. Havnes
03-13-2009, 09:17 AM
It should be pretty obvious by now that these drugs can cause people to get violent, but imagine the money Big Pharma would lose if they stopped sticking people on drugs! They might have to actually sort out their own problems!

Freedom 4 all
03-13-2009, 09:45 AM
I don't like Big Pharma any more than you do, but I'm taking a class in psychobiology and the worst thing I can say about SSRIs is that often they do nothing. If they work, the extra seretonin calms, not hypes up. I would be highly surprised if the drugs CAUSED this. More likely the drugs weren't working and their initial depression triggered the assault.

Brian4Liberty
03-13-2009, 09:59 AM
"Big pharma drugs good. All other drugs bad."

pcosmar
03-13-2009, 09:59 AM
but I'm taking a class in psychobiology
And who is the information being provided by?
I have known people taking these drugs and seen first hand the detrimental effects.
I have also seen material put out by independent parties that seems to contradict the Big Pharma Propaganda.

A. Havnes
03-13-2009, 10:01 AM
I don't like Big Pharma any more than you do, but I'm taking a class in psychobiology and the worst thing I can say about SSRIs is that often they do nothing. If they work, the extra seretonin calms, not hypes up. I would be highly surprised if the drugs CAUSED this. More likely the drugs weren't working and their initial depression triggered the assault.

Most research has shown that depression rarely leads to violence. That is, until these drugs came on the market and we started to see the rise in things such as school shootings and people taking their lives in very violent ways. Most people who take antidepressants started off as depressed but not suicidal in any way.

You often have to be careful in psychobiology (I had to take a few classes for my psychology major, which I have since left), as the tests and things are often skewed. For example, we have no idea what balanced chemicals look like, let alone imbalanced ones, and there are many different kinds of seratonin. Our brains know what levels of a certain chemical is normal for it, and when drugs are introduced to the suppress these chemicals or to create an abundance of them, the brain begins to change.

An example of this would be, say, a person is placed on antispychotics (I don't want to feel like I'm picking on antidepressants) and these antipsychotic drugs are suppressing the flow of dopamine. The tissue around the brain then begins to shrink (brain shrinkage is notorious with some of these drugs), and the receptors begin to grow larger and more sensitive, so that the brain feels like it's getting the dopamine flow it's used to. This is also why when you wean someone off of these drugs, their symptoms appear out of control for a while - the brain receptors have to shrink back to a normal size.

The problem with antidepressants and other SSRIs is that they can create a feeling of not caring. 9/10 people diagnosed with bipolar started out on some SSRI drug, which caused the manic symptoms to appear. If you have the not caring side-effect, combined with a manic-depressive side-effect, you have the potential for a killer.

Here's an interesting video. It's not the best one I've seen regarding this subject, but it's interesting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtrLBYwIOZs

reduen
03-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Most research has shown that depression rarely leads to violence. That is, until these drugs came on the market and we started to see the rise in things such as school shootings and people taking their lives in very violent ways. Most people who take antidepressants started off as depressed but not suicidal in any way.

You often have to be careful in psychobiology (I had to take a few classes for my psychology major, which I have since left), as the tests and things are often skewed. For example, we have no idea what balanced chemicals look like, let alone imbalanced ones, and there are many different kinds of seratonin. Our brains know what levels of a certain chemical is normal for it, and when drugs are introduced to the suppress these chemicals or to create an abundance of them, the brain begins to change.

An example of this would be, say, a person is placed on antispychotics (I don't want to feel like I'm picking on antidepressants) and these antipsychotic drugs are suppressing the flow of dopamine. The tissue around the brain then begins to shrink (brain shrinkage is notorious with some of these drugs), and the receptors begin to grow larger and more sensitive, so that the brain feels like it's getting the dopamine flow it's used to. This is also why when you wean someone off of these drugs, their symptoms appear out of control for a while - the brain receptors have to shrink back to a normal size.

The problem with antidepressants and other SSRIs is that they can create a feeling of not caring. 9/10 people diagnosed with bipolar started out on some SSRI drug, which caused the manic symptoms to appear. If you have the not caring side-effect, combined with a manic-depressive side-effect, you have the potential for a killer.

Here's an interesting video. It's not the best one I've seen regarding this subject, but it's interesting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtrLBYwIOZs

"Most people who take antidepressants started off as depressed but not suicidal in any way."

I can personally attest to this statement at least in three cases. Working with troubled youth opened my eyes to the deception that these drugs really work...

Brian4Liberty
03-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Come on guys, drugs that alter people's minds couldn't cause violence. It's the guns that cause it... :rolleyes:

tropicangela
03-13-2009, 10:28 AM

The Drugging of our Children (Gary Null) (SSRI drug dangers)(Columbine shooting) - 1:43:04 - Oct 20, 2005
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3609599239524875493

WarDog
03-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Tangled mind of a school killer

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/tangled-mind-of-a-school-killer-1643971.html

A. Havnes
03-13-2009, 01:20 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Come on guys, drugs that alter people's minds couldn't cause violence. It's the guns that cause it... :rolleyes:

Not to mention the existence of real psychiatric illness that no one can prove exists. Drug everyone and take their guns and all our problems will be solved Brave New World style!

gb13
03-13-2009, 01:49 PM

To the contrary... often when people are severly depressed, they can (obviously) become suicidal, BUT seretonin levels are so low that they literally don't even have the motivation to kill themselves. When an ssri is introduced to their systems, seretonin levels in the synapse can spike at an unnaturally rapid level. Their motivation returns, and sometimes the first thing they are motivated to do is to commit the suicide they had been contemplating. This is why many people suffering severe depression have to be monitored when they begin ssri treatment.

It doesn't take too much of a stretch of the imagination to hypothesize that thse suicidal tendencies could turn homicidal in rare cases. I would actually bet that it is very likely, especially if the depression is coupled with another mental disorder (perhaps not diagnosed).

Freedom 4 all
03-13-2009, 02:15 PM
And who is the information being provided by?
I have known people taking these drugs and seen first hand the detrimental effects.
I have also seen material put out by independent parties that seems to contradict the Big Pharma Propaganda.

I've used SSRIs myself for anxiety. They either helped or did nothing. Probably the latter tbh but nothing bad happened. I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject though and I do feel that they are really overprescibed. However, my mom swears they prevented her from suicide so I'm not willing to say we should just do away with them. What happened to your friends who had detrimental effects?

pcosmar
03-13-2009, 03:37 PM
I've used SSRIs myself for anxiety. They either helped or did nothing. Probably the latter tbh but nothing bad happened. I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject though and I do feel that they are really overprescibed. However, my mom swears they prevented her from suicide so I'm not willing to say we should just do away with them. What happened to your friends who had detrimental effects?

I have watched healthy children with active imaginations turn into mindless zombies.
I have seen similar in adults, active people turned into couch potatoes, Watched astheir personality disappeared.
The documentation on more extreme cases is growing. :(

A. Havnes
03-13-2009, 05:39 PM
I have watched healthy children with active imaginations turn into mindless zombies.
I have seen similar in adults, active people turned into couch potatoes, Watched astheir personality disappeared.
The documentation on more extreme cases is growing. :(

Exactly! A few people may claim to have been helped, but there are plenty of other ways to do this that don't involve drugs. I'll gladly share my personal story of battling severe depression (I was suicidal for 6 years) if anyone wants.

Psychiatric drugs should be taken off the market; if I had my way the psychiatric profession would cease to exist! How many other professions create diseases by voting for them? The whole setup reeks of money-making fraud. I mean, no one even knows what the normal level of serotonin and other chemicals are, or even how often they fluctuate. Third world countries have a higher success rate of treating "mental illness" because they don't depend on drugs to cripple the brain.

dannno
03-13-2009, 05:43 PM
I don't like Big Pharma any more than you do, but I'm taking a class in psychobiology and the worst thing I can say about SSRIs is that often they do nothing. .

...It also makes women lose their sex drive, which sucks for us guys.

VUK
03-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Just as a side-note, "Recent clinical trials have shown that St. John's wort works as well as Prozac, Zoloft and other leading antidepressant drugs for treating mild to moderate depression." Just FYI, it is dangerous to mix the two.

http://www.newhope.com/nutritionsciencenews/NSN_backs/Jun_01/stjohns.cfm