PDA

View Full Version : State seizes business of tax protester in Texas

JoshLowry
03-12-2009, 10:39 AM
An outspoken critic of government and advocate of personal liberty was arrested Wednesday and his Nacogdoches business seized by the state comptroller's officer for failing to collect and pay sales tax.

Five Nacogdoches police officers and several enforcement officers from the comptroller's office arrived at IT Freelancers on North Street Wednesday morning, announcing their intention to halt business there until $33,000 of unpaid taxes are remitted to the state. A local locksmith arrived to change the locks on the building, and a comptroller's employee posted a sign on the door warning everyone — including the business owner — to keep off the property.

Eddie Craig, who owns the business, readily acknowledged that he does not collect taxes at his business. His store was seized once before, in 2005, for the same offense, and Craig had been preparing for Wednesday's raid for weeks, assembling legal paperwork that he says will absolve him of wrongdoing and punish state and local officials for what he considers to be burglary and armed robbery.

On the tax question, Craig says the comptroller's office violates his 13th amendment right to be free from slavery and indentured servitude.

More at link...

http://www.dailysentinel.com/news/content/news/stories/2009/03/11/eddie_craig_031209.html

I agree about taxes being slavery. They ALLOW you to keep a certain percentage of money that you are compensated with.

phill4paul
03-12-2009, 02:54 PM
An outspoken critic of government and advocate of personal liberty was arrested Wednesday and his Nacogdoches business seized by the state comptroller's officer for failing to collect and pay sales tax.

Five Nacogdoches police officers and several enforcement officers from the comptroller's office arrived at IT Freelancers on North Street Wednesday morning, announcing their intention to halt business there until $33,000 of unpaid taxes are remitted to the state. A local locksmith arrived to change the locks on the building, and a comptroller's employee posted a sign on the door warning everyone — including the business owner — to keep off the property.

Eddie Craig, who owns the business, readily acknowledged that he does not collect taxes at his business. His store was seized once before, in 2005, for the same offense, and Craig had been preparing for Wednesday's raid for weeks, assembling legal paperwork that he says will absolve him of wrongdoing and punish state and local officials for what he considers to be burglary and armed robbery.

On the tax question, Craig says the comptroller's office violates his 13th amendment right to be free from slavery and indentured servitude.

More at link...

http://www.dailysentinel.com/news/content/news/stories/2009/03/11/eddie_craig_031209.html

I agree about taxes being slavery. They ALLOW you to keep a certain percentage of money that you are compensated with.

+1 Thanks for this info Josh.

I believe starving the beast may be the only way to slay it.

steph3n
03-12-2009, 03:29 PM
CAn we have someone stay up and keep us informed of new developments in this?

JoshLowry
03-12-2009, 03:30 PM
My family is from Nacogdoches and my mom reads their paper quite often.

I'll make a note of it!

slothman
03-12-2009, 03:34 PM
I don't agree with taxes being slavery but I do agree with the seizure.
He commited a crime and therefore his assets could be taken.
Whether the tax is itself bad or unconstitutional is a different story.

P.S. this, of course, goes against what the board usually thinks.

JoshLowry
03-12-2009, 03:38 PM
I don't agree with taxes being slavery but I do agree with the seizure.

P.S. this, of course, goes against what the board usually thinks.

Are taxes voluntary?

Involuntary servitude is a United States legal and constitutional term for a person laboring against that person's will to benefit another, under some form of coercion.

Danke
03-12-2009, 04:40 PM

How could it be a crime if the tax was unconstitutional?

mrsat_98
03-12-2009, 04:52 PM
This should be a good one. I have won this before and would love copies of the pleadings.

Chieppa1
03-12-2009, 05:00 PM
I wish I had a business I could do this with.:)

torchbearer
03-12-2009, 05:05 PM
I wish I had a business I could do this with.:)

It is kinda scary...
The question becomes... what will you do when they are taking your property?
I have to ask myself this daily...
If they catch me on the wrong day... the streets will be painted red.

Chieppa1
03-12-2009, 05:08 PM
It is kinda scary...
The question becomes... what will you do when they are taking your property?
I have to ask myself this daily...
If they catch me on the wrong day... the streets will be painted red.

Well, since I'm 22 and living at home (to save money), I have to follow my father's path. Which is: If they catch him on a GOOD day, none of them will make it out in one piece.

satchelmcqueen
03-12-2009, 06:43 PM
good for this guy. now the next question is...why did the local locksmith help out? if it were me, i would have told them to find another locksmith, i wasnt helping them..

slothman
03-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Are taxes voluntary?

Involuntary servitude is a United States legal and constitutional term for a person laboring against that person's will to benefit another, under some form of coercion.

They are voluntary.
By living in a democracy/republic you agree that that the
majority can tax the minority.

torchbearer
03-12-2009, 07:38 PM
They are voluntary.

which article of the constitution did you find that in?
I missed that part of our governing contract.

JoshLowry
03-12-2009, 07:40 PM
How could it be a crime if the tax was unconstitutional?

What about this one slothman?

They are voluntary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7mRSI8yWwg