PDA

View Full Version : Cigarettes go to 7$ a pack in Texas.

werdd
03-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Overnight legislation to prevent hoarding. Such bullshit...

JoshLowry
03-11-2009, 05:32 PM
link?

brandon
03-11-2009, 05:34 PM
God damn. I'm "only" paying $5.25/pack in PA. In New Jersey they cost like $7.50 a pack though.

When I first started smoking around 2001, I could get a pack for less than $3

trey4sports
03-11-2009, 05:37 PM
God damn. I'm "only" paying $5.25/pack in PA. In New Jersey they cost like $7.50 a pack though.

When I first started smoking around 2001, I could get a pack for less than $3

3.50 here in missouri, unfortanetly leg. has passed to knock them up to 4 bucks a pack.

i chew grizzly for 2.25 a can

Danke
03-11-2009, 05:39 PM
2173% Tax Increase Effective April 1, 2009.

The Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009 (“Act,” Public Law 111-3), was signed into law on February 4, 2009. The Act increases the Federal excise taxes on tobacco products and sets forth new permit and enforcement provisions regarding tobacco products and processed tobacco.

$1/pound to $26/pound.

No, it is not April Fools.

nobody's_hero
03-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Georgia has one of the lowest (or the lowest?) cigarette taxes in the Southeast. However, even our legislators are discussing increasing the tax by $1/pack. Loose tobacco will become damn near cost-prohibitive, however.

In honor of Martin Niemöller, I would like to share this poem that I found randomly on this blog (http://www.pointmanspage.com/2007/09/12/first-they-came-for-the-smokers/):

First they came for the Smokers
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Smoker.
Then they came for the Fatties
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Fatty.
Then they came for the Unsafe
and I did not speak out
because I was not Unsafe.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

EDIT: Link http://northgeorgia.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/mar/09/georgia-higher-drag-smoking/?South-Pittsburg

werdd
03-11-2009, 05:41 PM
3.50 here in missouri, unfortanetly leg. has passed to knock them up to 4 bucks a pack.

Misourri probably has the best tobacco laws in the land. Do you know if the cigarettes are FSC yet??? I go up there every year in july, grandparents got a place on the lake of the ozarks.

Im seriously considering quitting man...

The FSC cigarettes taste like shit, and it is making people sick. Google it.

And now they get a 2$ Hike overnight??????

I bought 3 pounds of tobacco a few months back when everyone was panicking, and im smoking them. Filterless cheap tobacco honestly tastes better than what you can buy now..

RSLudlum
03-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Just went to $4 pack this week here in Charleston. SC has the lowest cig tax in the US but is getting ready to be raised.

werdd
03-11-2009, 05:47 PM
link?

I tried to find a link before i posted, there is NOTHING out there. But im on the

ground and can tell you first hand that they took a 2$ tax hike overnight.

It's traveling mostly by word of mouth, my old man told me he payed 7 and a

quarter for a pack of smokes after i got off work today. Didn't believe him,

but went to the store and found out for myself.

amy31416
03-11-2009, 06:29 PM
If you do smoke, buy your cigarettes from an Indian reservation. Dirt cheap.

trey4sports
03-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Misourri probably has the best tobacco laws in the land. Do you know if the cigarettes are FSC yet??? I go up there every year in july, grandparents got a place on the lake of the ozarks.

Im seriously considering quitting man...

The FSC cigarettes taste like shit, and it is making people sick. Google it.

And now they get a 2$ Hike overnight??????

I bought 3 pounds of tobacco a few months back when everyone was panicking, and im smoking them. Filterless cheap tobacco honestly tastes better than what you can buy now..

only state without FSC cigarettes

unconsious767
03-11-2009, 07:01 PM
2173% Tax Increase Effective April 1, 2009.

The Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009 (“Act,” Public Law 111-3), was signed into law on February 4, 2009. The Act increases the Federal excise taxes on tobacco products and sets forth new permit and enforcement provisions regarding tobacco products and processed tobacco.

$1/pound to $26/pound.

No, it is not April Fools.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to start smoking :eek:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/image.php?u=6186&dateline=1235673881

I just bought some roll your own today, and it's the freshest tobacco I've ever had (since I only had 20 cig chem-packs before). What a shame. The head shop lady didn't seem too pissed. I know I am :mad:

JohnMeridith
03-11-2009, 07:38 PM
I bet the black market is about to reall heat up

phill4paul
03-11-2009, 07:50 PM

Yep it's pretty much prohibition when you create a sin tax that nobody can afford. Won't be long till there will be reports of high jack tractor trailers full of cigs. I'm sure the mafia are all over it.

RSLudlum
03-11-2009, 07:53 PM

You got that right, the tax collectors are helping to fund terrorists!!! The real war isn't on terror, it's on YOU!

Cigarette Smuggling
by Walter E. Williams

While it's politically popular to impose confiscatory taxes on America's 40 million tobacco smokers, there are a number of consequences one might consider, but let's start out with a quiz. If a carton of cigarettes sells for $160 in New York City, and $35 in North Carolina, what do you predict will happen? If you answered tons of cigarettes will be going up I-95 from North Carolina to New York City, go to the head of the class.

Smuggling cigarettes is illegal; so the next quiz question is: Who is most likely to engage in cigarette smuggling? It's a mixed answer, but for the most part, organized smugglers will be people with a high disregard for the law. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has found that Russian, Armenian, Ukrainian, Chinese, Taiwanese, and Middle Eastern (mainly Pakistani, Lebanese, and Syrian) organized crime groups are highly involved in the trafficking of contraband and counterfeit cigarettes. What's worse is the ATF found that some of these groups use the money to provide material financial assistance to terrorist groups such as Hezbollah and Hamas....

read entire article here (http://www.creators.com/opinion/walter-williams/cigarette-smuggling.html)

euphemia
03-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Last year's budget in Tennessee called for a $.60 tax hike on cigarettes. That took the price well over what they pay in Kentucky. Governor Bredesen has posted extra Highway Patrol along the border to make sure Tennesseans are not bringing more than two cartons at a time back into Tennesse.

Not a smoker, but this is just crazy.

Crowish
03-11-2009, 07:59 PM
The federal tax on smokes is going up on April Fools Day from .39 to $1.01 and a lot of the recent price hikes are from an early adoption of that.

The money goes to SCHIP.

ItsTime
03-11-2009, 08:13 PM
one pound of tobacco will be taxed $25?

MrNick
03-11-2009, 10:01 PM
They're about to increase tax on cigarettes in Florida a dollar.

TN_VOL
03-11-2009, 10:08 PM
I don't care how high the taxes on them things go. I hate them. A couple years ago my state passed a law declaring most restaurants smoke free zones, unless they are open after 11 or 12 and serve alcohol or are basically a bar and grille. Since then all the smokers in my town go the same couple of places that I used to love. Now I just drive by them and rubberneck and wonder why the fire department isn't there because it looks like they are on fire. I can't go into them places without smelling like a dang for chimney for days, not to mention the clothes I would have to throw away if I began to frequent those places again.

DirtMcGirt
03-11-2009, 11:16 PM
they are trying to tax it until it dies. they will soon be missing the revenue and then they will be trying to tax my internet...bastards

MrNick
03-11-2009, 11:44 PM
I don't care how high the taxes on them things go. I hate them. A couple years ago my state passed a law declaring most restaurants smoke free zones, unless they are open after 11 or 12 and serve alcohol or are basically a bar and grille. Since then all the smokers in my town go the same couple of places that I used to love. Now I just drive by them and rubberneck and wonder why the fire department isn't there because it looks like they are on fire. I can't go into them places without smelling like a dang for chimney for days, not to mention the clothes I would have to throw away if I began to frequent those places again.

What if they tax one of your favorite things to death because they deem it to be "bad"? Its ok to say whatever when it's nothing that causes you problems, but the problem is you'll be next someday with the taxes. I don't smoke, but they shouldn't tax them more.

cindy25
03-12-2009, 02:58 AM
if the government is providing free health care for smoking related illnesses then the taxes are fair.

best would be to abolish medicare and medicaid but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

tod evans
03-12-2009, 03:29 AM

so i guess by your logic pig or chicken farms should be outlawed?
or taxed because of the odor.....what about sewage treatment plants?
any time an individuals olfactory sense is given greater worth than his neighbors rights to do as he pleases on his own property or with his own body somebodies thought process is fu%ked up.
do as you please but let your neighbors do as they please too.
now if you choose to exersize your right to ban smoking on your property that`s well and good.....but if you attempt to ban smoking on my property you`ll be in for a fight.

Recession
03-12-2009, 03:30 AM
What if they tax one of your favorite things to death because they deem it to be "bad"? Its ok to say whatever when it's nothing that causes you problems, but the problem is you'll be next someday with the taxes. I don't smoke, but they shouldn't tax them more.

I would LOVE if they taxed cannabis.

phill4paul
03-12-2009, 04:09 AM

In many states they already do.

http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=6670

nobody's_hero
03-12-2009, 04:36 AM

Do you know a lot of people like yourself who hate being around cigarette smoke? If so, it sounds like you are sitting on a gold mine of an opportunity. Open your own bar and grill, and prohibit smoking in it.

Use the demand for a smoke-free environment to your advantage and capitalize on it. You'll make a better profit than just running to the government and getting smokers kicked out of restaurants you don't own.

phill4paul
03-12-2009, 04:44 AM

Did ya notice it was government interference that caused all the smokers to congregate in the places you use to love. ;)

Roxi
03-12-2009, 05:12 AM
i still pay 2.36 a pack for mine, and luckily im quitting april 12 so i won't have to worry about it after that :)

werdd
03-12-2009, 05:45 AM

They do, its called incarceration.

I can tell you right now these new FSC cigarettes are not fire safe. The fuckers drop fire like crazy. Ive burn my face and hands everyday from the fuckers, and im not about to pay 7 dollars a pack for the shit.

Another observation i made is that the cigar-cigarettes, like captain blacks or deans only cost 1.19! They are terrible, but makes you wonder why the goverment hasnt targeted cigars yet.

Im going to the tobacco store tomorrow and buying my own tube machine. Im not going to get fucked by these overpriced cigarettes that burn me on a daily basis and taste like shit.

acptulsa
03-12-2009, 07:05 AM
If you do smoke, buy your cigarettes from an Indian reservation. Dirt cheap.

This! It's not often we get to benefit from governments competing, but when we can you gotta love it! And I, for one, think the cause is good.

I just bought some roll your own today, and it's the freshest tobacco I've ever had (since I only had 20 cig chem-packs before). What a shame. The head shop lady didn't seem too pissed. I know I am :mad:

And this. If non-filter cigarettes are hard on you you're drawing too hard on them. Puff them like a cigar. You don't need smoke in your lungs to get nicotine in your head; your head has plenty of membranes. And they only sell FSC papers around pre-rolled cigs; you can't even get that crap in a little rolling paper pack. Roll your own!

SovereignMN
03-12-2009, 07:13 AM

I also chew grizzly...only we pay $3.50 in the People's Republic of Minnesota.

BillyDkid
03-12-2009, 08:09 AM
What is government for if not for social engineering and extortion??? I'm trying to stop smoking after some 35 years of it. For health reasons as I get older (although, being a moderate smoker I haven't apparently suffered too many ill effects - lungs are in excellent shape according to my physical every year) but also because they now cost around $7.00/pack here in NY. Next you can expect fat and sugar taxes. In all honesty, the principles of liberty on which this country was supposedly founded are long gone and it just is never going to get any better. I don't want to see people suffer, but the best thing that could happen to this country would be for it to collapse and we all start over. It is a corrupt system. The cost of all this "civilization" far exceeds its benefits.

s35wf
03-12-2009, 10:07 AM
They're about to increase tax on cigarettes in Florida a dollar.

last week i bought a cartoon of marlboros for like $29 inc tax. yesterday they wanted like $35 :mad: i thought this shit wasnt supposed to happen till april, so much for my plans of stocking up early (damn i need to quit, must start smoking more herb at these rates) :eek:

dannno
03-12-2009, 10:18 AM

.......So you're saying the problem started when government made legislation, and now you want them to make more?

......and you're also saying that just because it's something you don't like that nobody else should have it?

devil21
03-12-2009, 01:55 PM
All I gotta say is:

www.oklahoma-outlet.com

Indian reservation selling everything from premier smokes to Phillipine made cheapies. Jump through a couple small hoops at first (fax DL copy and Echeck authorization) and save a bundle. Ive found that most of the cheap value cigs aren't much different than a pack of Marlboros. You're mostly paying for the name and the packaging more than the tobacco itself.

acptulsa
03-12-2009, 02:02 PM
All I gotta say is:

www.oklahoma-outlet.com

Indian reservation selling everything from premier smokes to Phillipine made cheapies. Jump through a couple small hoops at first (fax DL copy and Echeck authorization) and save a bundle. Ive found that most of the cheap value cigs aren't much different than a pack of Marlboros. You're mostly paying for the name and the packaging more than the tobacco itself.

No Echo? :confused::confused: The price/quality ratio the Echo brand provides is the best thing about being an Oklahoma smoker!

Think I'll stick to the Oklahoma outlet right down the street. :cool:

It's good to hang with the natives!!

Pennsylvania
03-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Just grow your own. It's been easy for me so far.

Kotin
03-12-2009, 02:06 PM
man..

I smoke like 3 cigarettes a week tops.. I love the hand rolled American Spirits.. they are great.

so I guess this does not impact me much as I buy 1 pack every 1-2 months..

SimpleName
03-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Blah...ridiculous. Government taxation is way out of control. These sin taxes are so obnoxiously discriminatory. All they do is take away the ability for small-business people from making a living and supporting their families. I haven't researched the matter, but I would assume there would be many more local breweries and the like if taxes weren't so exorbitant in that area as well. Why people accept this bullshit is beyond me. You would be hard-pressed to find someone who hasn't drank alcohol on multiple occasions (and many who do it nonstop). How does a society as a whole see something as a sin when nearly everyone has taken part in it and a majority do it on at least a casual basis. Why do people deal with pumping excess tax money towards things that a majority of people don't feel is necessarily bad. Oh well...just more outright bullshit. I do at least prefer it to underlying, behind the scenes bullshit.

steph3n
03-12-2009, 03:29 PM
I am about to get into a new business it seems :D

Cinderella
03-12-2009, 09:05 PM
damn 8 bucks here in mass starting april 1...i quit!

TN_VOL
03-12-2009, 09:14 PM
.......So you're saying the problem started when government made legislation, and now you want them to make more?

......and you're also saying that just because it's something you don't like that nobody else should have it?

Oh come on we all know they are bad for us. I really don't care what the price for them is I just don't ever want to smell them again. If someone wants to smoke them in thier own house then that's ok with me, I'll just never come over for a visit. Although I would hope they wouldn't, simply for thier health's sake. Oh and nice avatar I just purchased the first two seasons of Trailer Park Boys.

devil21
03-12-2009, 09:21 PM
No Echo? :confused::confused: The price/quality ratio the Echo brand provides is the best thing about being an Oklahoma smoker!

Think I'll stick to the Oklahoma outlet right down the street. :cool:

It's good to hang with the natives!!

Actually, they are based in NY. Not sure what the name is about but I doubt yall are neighbors. :p

Brian4Liberty
03-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Yeah, let's tax the rich!!!

Hold on, this is a regressive tax on the poor...why do I constantly hear about the folly of taxing the rich on tv? I guess taxing the poor is fine.

werdd
03-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Oh come on we all know they are bad for us. I really don't care what the price for them is I just don't ever want to smell them again. If someone wants to smoke them in thier own house then that's ok with me, I'll just never come over for a visit. Although I would hope they wouldn't, simply for thier health's sake. Oh and nice avatar I just purchased the first two seasons of Trailer Park Boys.

Ricky smokes.

werdd
03-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Started rolling my own, they taste so much better.

I finally found out what i like, and am going to stock up next paycheck. Probably to the tune of 25 LBS.

Fresh choice light + el rey light tubes is the combo of champions. Tastes just like marlboro blend 27's.

acptulsa
03-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Actually, they are based in NY. Not sure what the name is about but I doubt yall are neighbors. :p

The neighbors I was referring to as being good to hang with are Native Americans, not New Yawkers.

LittleLightShining
03-19-2009, 01:35 PM
The prices have started going up here already. I paid $8.99 for organic American Spirits today :mad:

Kludge
03-19-2009, 01:41 PM
damn 8 bucks here in mass starting april 1...i quit!

No, no! That will only encourage them! Keep smoking!

-- Oh wait -- then the tax revenue will increase!

Uhhhh..... uhh.... Pick up another vice. Rent some male whores (or female, if you're into that sort of thing)! Or maybe you could buy those dubious online "marijuana alternatives". That'd show The Man that you're in control!

acptulsa
03-19-2009, 01:42 PM
No, no! That will only encourage them! Keep smoking!

-- Oh wait -- then the tax revenue will increase!

Uhhhh..... uhh.... Pick up another vice. Rent some male whores (or female, if you're into that sort of thing)! Or maybe you could buy those dubious online "marijuana alternatives". That'd show The Man that you're in control!

Don't make me start a poll!

He Who Pawns
03-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Black Market FTW.

Uriel999
03-19-2009, 02:32 PM
He stopped smoking but noticed the other day "my brand" (Parliament Lights) have gone up to 5.50. I cannot believe that insanity.

foofighter20x
03-19-2009, 02:39 PM
The demand curve for cigs is pretty near vertical, so it's a ripe source of revenue...

However, the stupid legislatures don't consider the consequence of a cigarette tax hike: instead of collecting more money from smokers or encouraging smokers to cut back on their habit, one of the two, or both, occur:

1) the business is driven underground the gov't collects no tax at all, or
2) the smoker cuts back expenses on other consumption, which effectively depresses other industries.

LandonCook
03-19-2009, 02:56 PM
They are going up in arkansas too! Bastards!

Barackistan
03-19-2009, 04:10 PM
You think $7.00 is bad?!

It's $8.00 here in Chicago, and in adjacent counties it's pretty much $7.00 as well. Except for Will County, where it's $4-$5 a pack.

The only cheap cigarettes you can get nowadays is in Kentucky and Ohio. To hell with these fucking sin taxes. If my county, let alone the state, cannot balance something as simple as a budget, they don't deserve my hard-earned money.

It's about time to have another Tea Party. We're getting raped with no lube!

Mesogen
03-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Just be thankful you don't live in Chicago or New York where cigs are $10 a pack (unless you do live there).

eta: Well, maybe it was only $10 in the airport.

I remember getting cigs for $1.50 a pack. Now, in DC some places are charging $8 a pack, but most are charging $6-7 a pack.

Not too long ago I would get loose tobacco and roll my own. I would get an ounce of Norwegian Shag or Stockholm for $2.49 and it would last me quite a while. Killer on the lungs though.

I was so stupid for taking up smoking again last November. I'll just have to quit again.

JeNNiF00F00
03-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Just grow your own. It's been easy for me so far.

What if you smoke menthol? I don't smoke but one of my friends was asking about this. How does one get the menthol in the tobacco?

JeNNiF00F00
03-19-2009, 04:38 PM
man..

I smoke like 3 cigarettes a week tops.. I love the hand rolled American Spirits.. they are great.

so I guess this does not impact me much as I buy 1 pack every 1-2 months..

How does the flavor compare with brands such as marlboro?

dannno
03-19-2009, 04:46 PM
What if you smoke menthol? I don't smoke but one of my friends was asking about this. How does one get the menthol in the tobacco?

"First of all get a 5ml eyedropper bottle and fill it up with (at least half) menthol crystals which is available commercially at the pharmacy...and then filled it up to 5ml of homemade alcohol(mine made from rice..) or some people will use ethanol(white wine)...aloow the alcohol to dissolve the menthol crystals with occassional shaking of the bottle....once it is fully dissolved if left standing will separate into 2 layers...the top clear layer will be menthol liquid and the lower will be alcohol....but can only be used if it is mixed into a murky solution...now mixed it to e-liquids of your choice (my preference is Flue-cured Tobacco and homemade Menthol at the ratio of 3:2)..."

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/2097-menthol-5.html#post34534

That's for e-cigs tho...

I think you can actually dissolve the crystals in water and just spray it on, let it dry.. alcohol might be more effective at dissolving tho.

dannno
03-19-2009, 04:54 PM
How does the flavor compare with brands such as marlboro?

American Spirits taste much better than all of the big brands because they don't contain the additives. At first your body will miss the chemical additives cause some are kinda addictive, but you're still getting your nicotine with the American Spirits, so just switch over for a few weeks. When you borrow your friend's cig filled with additives it will taste nasty and you will be glad you switched. If you decide to quit it will be easier.

I recommend the light blue pack of American Spirits. They actually taste smoother, better and lighter to me than the yellow "lights". Of course the red organics would be my first choice, but they weren't really available until after i stopped smoking so I haven't gotten to try them yet.

Rolling your own is great, too. None of the roll your own brands have additives. My personal favorite is "DRUM", like the kind John Travolta had in Pulp Fiction when he was at the 50s restaurant with Uma Thurman.

Bodhi
03-19-2009, 04:57 PM

From what I have seen of your posts in this thread, I don't think you will be getting many invitations from libertarians or true conservatives to come hang out at their houses, so not to worry. Have fun hanging out with your NeoCon buddies ;) (this post is all in good fun)

dannno
03-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Ricky smokes.

http://www.showmii.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/trailerreal.jpg

JeNNiF00F00
03-19-2009, 05:03 PM
American Spirits taste much better than all of the big brands because they don't contain the additives. At first your body will miss the chemical additives cause some are kinda addictive, but you're still getting your nicotine with the American Spirits, so just switch over for a few weeks. When you borrow your friend's cig filled with additives it will taste nasty and you will be glad you switched. If you decide to quit it will be easier.

I recommend the light blue pack of American Spirits. They actually taste smoother, better and lighter to me than the yellow "lights". Of course the red organics would be my first choice, but they weren't really available until after i stopped smoking so I haven't gotten to try them yet.

Rolling your own is great, too. None of the roll your own brands have additives. My personal favorite is "DRUM", like the kind John Travolta had in Pulp Fiction when he was at the 50s restaurant with Uma Thurman.

Hey thanks for the info. I don't personally smoke cigs but I have a friend who does. If I was addicted id personally stick to something like these rather than smoking up all the chemicals in the commercial brands. I will pass all of this info along to her. Actually i'm trying to get her to sign up with the forums as she loves RP too. :D Anyways thanks again!

werdd
03-20-2009, 06:38 AM

Yeah it was hard for me to get used to rollies the first week. There is definately something in the commercial cigarettes that i crave, and it isn't nicotine.

When i go up to Missourri this July where cigarettes are still cheap and no FSC bullshit, im going to try a pack again.

acptulsa
03-20-2009, 06:44 AM
Thanks, danno. Echo brand also claims to have no additives, and I believe it. They have spoiled me for pure tobacco. I won't be going back to the crass commercial cigs with their saltpeter and whatnot.

Of course the red organics would be my first choice, but they weren't really available until after i stopped smoking so I haven't gotten to try them yet.

You seem to lack faith, grasshopper...

2young2vote
03-20-2009, 10:15 AM
This thing about taxing cigarettes is stupid. They get their school funding from those taxes then the money they get from the taxes they use to teach how bad smoking is...that makes alot of sense doesn't it...

Sarge
03-20-2009, 12:29 PM
They have not been doing anything smart lately.

AZ they will be 8.50 a pack after April 1st. Most of that is tax. They have lost a couple of hundred in taxes from me the last three weeks.

If one uses the 10 times multiplier that is 2K less FRN circulation. How many more threw in the towel or will? AZ is now having to borrow money to get them through June.

I would like to see the 25 M smokers not buy a pack a day for two or three weeks in a row and watch what would happen.

Next, let us have a fat tax that anyone who is 20 pounds overweight gets to pay the same amount of cigarette tax each day for each pound overweight for a year. Each year they get to re weigh.

After all, they are a drain on the medical costs for smokers and ex smokers. Diabetes, heart attacks, strokes, costing us more in air fare to fly them, costing us all more at buffets where they pig out and on and on.

acptulsa
03-20-2009, 12:33 PM
You're right Sarge. It sounds real slick to say that we need a McDonald's tax, which in turn will drive the cost of fast food up to the point where restaurants that serve real food can compete with them. The problem is, it will cut the restaurant business by at least seventy percent.

Instead of sin taxes, maybe we should charge Congress stupid taxes.

dannno
03-20-2009, 12:34 PM
You seem to lack faith, grasshopper...

Nah, if I did buy a pack that would be what I'd buy. Organic American spirits either pack or roll form. I don't really smoke cigs tho, once in a while I'll bum one off somebody but that turns out to be about once a month over the long term.

But I'm growin my own tobacco, organically, so we'll see how that turns out!!

acptulsa
03-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Nah, if I did buy a pack that would be what I'd buy. Organic American spirits either pack or roll form. I don't really smoke cigs tho, once in a while I'll bum one off somebody but that turns out to be about once a month over the long term.

But I'm growin my own tobacco, organically, so we'll see how that turns out!!

Oh, I thought you were saying you wouldn't be able to stay quitted, or acquitted, or something like that.

LittleLightShining
03-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Let me just say that if you smoke the organic American Spirits the blue pack will taste like doodoo. I like the black pack, too, but the organic is the best. I have no idea how people smoke the yellow and don't even get me started on the menthol.

That said the organics were WAAAY better before the fsc paper.

dannno
03-20-2009, 12:39 PM
That said the organics were WAAAY better before the fsc paper.

Are all cigs required to use fsc paper now? I heard somebody say that they hate them. I can't imagine what they put into them.

Looks like I'll have to get a pack of rollies.

acptulsa
03-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Are all cigs required to use fsc paper now? I heard somebody say that they hate them. I can't imagine what they put into them.

Looks like I'll have to get a pack of rollies.

They roll extra strips of paper around the tobacco at intervals, inside the outer paper. They smother the cig when you're not drawing on it.

Or so I'm told by my nephew. I stocked up prior to the tax, and haven't had to deal with one myself (yet). Will probably go back to rolling my own before then.

LittleLightShining
03-20-2009, 12:48 PM

Looks like I'll have to get a pack of rollies.I don't think it's mandatory in every state.

They roll extra strips of paper around the tobacco at intervals, inside the outer paper. They smother the cig when you're not drawing on it.

Or so I'm told by my nephew. I stocked up prior to the tax, and haven't had to deal with one myself (yet). Will probably go back to rolling my own before then.I was thinking about maybe just quitting... I don't know. Rolling isn't really going to be any less expensive than buying them now. And like I said earlier, I paid $9 for a pack yesterday. I remember when I was a kid and my mom would send me into the 7-11 for 2 packs of Salem Lights 100's and I'd get change back from a 5. *sigh*

Sarge
03-20-2009, 12:59 PM
I like your idea. The stupid tax would pay off the national debt right now.

Just wait, and they will tax everything they can think of before this mess is over.

Sarge
03-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Just after I posted they came on talking about new diet pills. They said two out of three people are overweight in the US.

acptulsa
03-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Just after I posted they came on talking about new diet pills. They said two out of three people are overweight in the US.

Setting them up like bowling pins.

How wonderful nationalized health care is. It gives government an excuse to claim a vested interest in your very body.

What was the Soviet mantra? The state cared for you and educated you and housed you and fed you and now...

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii95/acptulsa/teaparty001.jpg

...and you don't really want it to be.

LandonCook
03-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Setting them up like bowling pins.

How wonderful nationalized health care is. It gives government an excuse to claim a vested interest in your very body.

What was the Soviet mantra? The state cared for you and educated you and housed you and fed you and now...

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii95/acptulsa/teaparty001.jpg

...and you don't really want it to be.

Hahaha! Thats great!

Ninja Homer
03-20-2009, 06:14 PM
For everybody that is thinking about switching to RYO, the tax on loose tobacco will increase from $1.10/lb to $24.78/lb on April 1st.

So a tin of American Spirit where I'm at is currently about $20 for 5 oz. The current fed tax on that is about 34 cents. On April 1st, that will raise to about $7.74, so then a tin of American Spirit will cost about $27.40.

You can currently buy these on the internet for about $14 a tin. Even if you don't smoke and have no intention of smoking, you may want to stock up and have a happy April Fools Day!

werdd
03-21-2009, 07:45 PM
For everybody that is thinking about switching to RYO, the tax on loose tobacco will increase from $1.10/lb to $24.78/lb on April 1st.

So a tin of American Spirit where I'm at is currently about $20 for 5 oz. The current fed tax on that is about 34 cents. On April 1st, that will raise to about $7.74, so then a tin of American Spirit will cost about $27.40.

You can currently buy these on the internet for about $14 a tin. Even if you don't smoke and have no intention of smoking, you may want to stock up and have a happy April Fools Day!

I bought a tin of american spirit for 17 today.... the cheaper stuff i have been stocking up on all month. I get that for 15 bucks a pound. It's called farmers gold. It's actually not bad....

Guess i have close to 10 pounds right now, the store is totally selling out. Owner told me they are getting a shipment in on tuesday or wednesday. Will buy massive quantities before the month is over.

And for those of you who enjoy a good cigar, those are going up too.

Anytime you lose freedom it is a bad thing, because loss of freedom is systemic. Next they will be taxing you because your too fat. Then they will tax BigMacs. Then they will tax you for driving large cars, because you are too unsafe for the other people driving the gas-savers. It's a goverment tool to give you an incentive to quit something that is deemed dangerous to the public, or yourself.

The movie "The Fifth Element" rings a bell, where bruce willis is smoking a cigarette that is mostly filter, and only a small portion cigarette.http://farm1.static.flickr.com/100/286974469_0af200480f.jpg?v=0

LATruth
03-21-2009, 08:12 PM
I think this is great. 2 sniffs of cigarette smoke and I get a migraine headache. Although I do find it funny that people actually pay to commit suicide slowly.

bkreigh
03-21-2009, 08:29 PM

A can of cope costs $7 and change in Maine. Its horrible. I can drive 45 mins to an exchange if i want and pay $4 and change. If im down there i usually stock up for a couple weeks.

CaseyJones
03-21-2009, 08:34 PM
I live in texas and have yet to pay 7$ a pack yet, though they are to damn expensive. 5.50 about is my cost

devil21
03-21-2009, 09:58 PM
I think this is great. 2 sniffs of cigarette smoke and I get a migraine headache. Although I do find it funny that people actually pay to commit suicide slowly.

You have an aneurysm and you should seek medical attention immediately.

Kludge
03-22-2009, 01:35 AM
You have an aneurysm and you should seek medical attention immediately.

I must have one too! Cigarette smoke makes me want to vomit.

werdd
03-22-2009, 07:35 AM

no you are just an idiot.

Kludge
03-22-2009, 09:24 AM
no you are just an idiot.

Obviously!

devil21
03-22-2009, 02:56 PM

In your case, you have an aneurysm and please do not seek medical attention.

Sarge
03-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Take a look at what is coming,

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/tobacco_tax_bill09.htm

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/cigarette.htm

I hope 25M quit for three weeks around April 1st and April 15th. Look at the billions in taxes and the more billions they are trying to add on billions more.

On April 1st get ready to pay big time more in tax. They need some withdrawal Treatment for their tax increases. I know it will not be easy, but send them a message.

Off three weeks now, and intend to make it more to hit to them in the pocket book.

Sarge
03-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Talked to two younger guys tonight that had no clue about the 1 buck a pack hike on 4/01.

So, if this is any sign, 2/3rds of the smokers have no clue about the tax hike coming up on the 1st. They were steamed to say the least. Unscientific, but likely close to right.

They asked if I went cold Turkey, and I said yes. They asked if I cheated over the last three weeks, and I said no. I told them I would no longer pay a selective tax and I hope the IRS and state taxes go down the drain.

Then we got into a fat tax. These two guys are thin. It is coming to those over weight when they run out of tax options. I will not discuss one other tax, so as not to give the govt. any ideas. It was agreed, if we hear that is going to have a tax increase, we will stock our houses to the hilt.

They are waking up, two by two if I can help it. I think they will spread it to four more people and so on to more.

Either tax equally, or don't tax. There will be a revolt, if you pick and choose who to tax.

talkingpointes
03-24-2009, 06:45 PM
RYO they're cheap and easy alternative that is less harsh, and seem to attract a lot of questions from passers by. You can even switch out the papers for "other tobacco papers" and the sky is the limit on flavors.

devil21
03-24-2009, 06:51 PM
All my local smoke sellers have big signs up right at the register about the tax increase so I dont know how smokers couldnt know about it. To top it off, it looks like some states are trying to hike up tobacco taxes too for a nice double whammy. I just got done placing another online order for smokes in advance of the increase. $88 for 6 cartons, including shipping, ain't too shabby! :)

Maverick
03-24-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm lucky that I recently had the opportunity to acquire a stockpile of cigarettes duty-free.

No, Uncle Sam, you can't have a cut. Fuck off.