PDA

View Full Version : Dueling in a minarchy?

Gaius1981
03-11-2009, 02:18 PM
I just read about the duel between Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton, and realized that I have no idea what the libertarian minarchist stance is on dueling. In the ideal state, should people be allowed to challenge each other to duels and, if accepted by both parts, follow through with it until death -- without being punished for it?

Freedom 4 all
03-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Why not? I wouldn't do it, it's not my thing, but I have no legitimite reason for preventing others from doing so as long as it's voluntary and consentual.

ChaosControl
03-11-2009, 03:10 PM
I think so, but I think there should be multiple witnesses because otherwise couldn't some random murderer just say his victim was just engaging in a duel with him?

heavenlyboy34
03-11-2009, 03:12 PM
I just read about the duel between Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton, and realized that I have no idea what the libertarian minarchist stance is on dueling. In the ideal state, should people be allowed to challenge each other to duels and, if accepted by both parts, follow through with it until death -- without being punished for it?

Yes, because the challenged person must accept the challenge before the duel can take place. (Remember, the Hamilton-Burr duel was consensual on the part of both parties. I only wish it had happened several years prior. ;))

Chieppa1
03-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Ron Paul challenges Obama.
Obama would win. Because he would cheat.:(

Minarchy4Sale
03-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Sure, so long as there is a witnessed writing to protect the winner.

nate895
03-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Most duels didn't end in death, and I assume any modern duels would be with weapons of the era when duels were common because otherwise the winner would be whoever won the coin toss.

Paulitical Correctness
03-11-2009, 10:59 PM
1..2..3..4 I declare thumb war.

tremendoustie
03-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Most duels didn't end in death, and I assume any modern duels would be with weapons of the era when duels were common because otherwise the winner would be whoever won the coin toss.

Or, there could be sniper duels in high wind at 1000 meters.

nate895
03-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Or, there could be sniper duels in high wind at 1000 meters.

That sounds more like a sick, twisted, sport, but whatever floats their boat.

The point of a duel is honor, snipers at a thousand yards was seen, and kind of is, as an extremely cowardly way of warfare. You are attempting to hide yourself and kill the enemy without them knowing where you are. You treat them like a more intelligent deer, not a gentleman.

Minarchy4Sale
03-12-2009, 02:48 AM

We could just force them to use single shot .22s, and fire simultaneously. Sufficient risk of death to prove bravery, sufficient chance of survival to make it entertaining.

Minarchy4Sale
03-12-2009, 02:49 AM
That sounds more like a sick, twisted, sport, but whatever floats their boat.

The point of a duel is honor, snipers at a thousand yards was seen, and kind of is, as an extremely cowardly way of warfare. You are attempting to hide yourself and kill the enemy without them knowing where you are. You treat them like a more intelligent deer, not a gentleman.

Warfare is just butchery, there is no honor involved.

idiom
03-12-2009, 03:22 AM
As long as it is televised.

It immediately opens the door to large cash payments to consensual death sports.