PDA

View Full Version : Pro-liberty arguments that WORK

acptulsa
03-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Well, these liberals have the government, the MSM and at least half the blogosphere spoon feeding them talking points, and all we have is each other. Well, good. Everyone likes a fair fight. But if we're to win this fair fight, we had better keep comparing notes. So, if this thread gets a good response, I hope it gets 'stickied'.

Just saw an interesting comment in The Fray (the comment section of the mostly liberal Slate.com). A guy commented that 95% of kids today are considered obese because the standards were set more than half a century ago, and that it was good to keep those 'outdated' standards in place as this gives us a gauge of how far we've fallen. I found this a useful intro into the notion that we now live in a world where the politicians' respond to the complete failure of an agency isn't to fix that agency but to create another agency to step on its toes. It seems to me that his excellent statement about changing standards and gauging how far we've fallen is a useful counter to any accusations or intimations that our ideas are too outdated to work.

So, what's working for you?

P.S. Damn, what I should have said is, none of our 'standards of obesity' have changed as much as our standard of governmental obesity. Oh well. I'm sure there'll be a next time...