PDA

View Full Version : home schooling in alabama

UnReconstructed
03-11-2009, 09:08 AM
just moved to alabama.

what kind of hoops does the state have for me to jump through? a search on their DOE website returned no results for "homeschool" or "home school"

euphemia
03-11-2009, 09:25 AM
http://www.homeschoolinginalabama.com/

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Alabama.pdf

UnReconstructed
03-11-2009, 09:55 AM
sounds like extortion being that I have to use a "church" which is going to charge me to send a letter.

I'll start my own church. It's damn disgusting that the only other option that you have is a "state certified" tutor. That is one of the things that we are trying to get away from. state = bad

I don't think that I am going to play their stupid little game.

euphemia
03-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Here in Tennessee the law is similar, but is not applied so strictly. In fact, some of the "church-related" schools have developed offerings for secular home schoolers. In Tennessee we have two options: church-related school or register with the state. Alabama does not have the second option.

You might want to give Home School Legal Defense a call. While they have a religious focus, they do not limit their help only to religious people.

Personally, I don't think home schooling is a church-state issue, but that has been the big threat to states all along. This is a parents' rights issue, a fact pointed out by libertarian home schoolers 15 years ago after Christian homeschoolers lost a lawsuit because they argued from a religious point of view. Fortunately the laws have changed since that time, and most people can home school in Tennessee with relative freedom.

Depending on where you live in Alabama, you might consider moving across the line to be able to home school with less restriction.

Hope you find a workable solution.

UnReconstructed
03-11-2009, 12:07 PM
thanks, I'll post back in this thread once we do what we are going to do. We are living in Alabama now and are home schooling like we always have.

danberkeley
03-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Where is Alabama are you? The Mises Institute is in Auburn.

UnReconstructed
03-11-2009, 01:10 PM
about 2 hours south of Auburn. I lived there for about 6 months