PDA

View Full Version : Neuro-linguistic Programming, yea or nay?

GunnyFreedom
03-11-2009, 03:39 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming

Do you feel morally OK with the thought of using NLP in order to push the candidacy and agenda of Ron Paul Republicans?

If yes, what sort of techniques should we employ, and where can we learn to use them?

If no, why not? And if our "enemies" are using NLP to push their candidates and agenda's, why not fight fire with fire?

Trying to engage a discussion to determine if WE can use NLP to our advantage rather than just complaining that Obama uses NLP against us.

lynnf
03-11-2009, 04:50 AM

Do you feel morally OK with the thought of using NLP in order to push the candidacy and agenda of Ron Paul Republicans?

If yes, what sort of techniques should we employ, and where can we learn to use them?

If no, why not? And if our "enemies" are using NLP to push their candidates and agenda's, why not fight fire with fire?

Trying to engage a discussion to determine if WE can use NLP to our advantage rather than just complaining that Obama uses NLP against us.

when you use your enemy's immoral methods, you just become the enemy yourself, defeating your own purpose.
plus, if you are found out, it can backfire on you when the public reacts. consider it like subliminal messages planted
on TV/movies .. no one wants to be subjected to it.
lynn

Truth Warrior
03-11-2009, 06:05 AM
What would Ron Paul do?

FrankRep
03-11-2009, 06:18 AM

I wouldn't make it public if you do use NLP.

:rolleyes:

apropos
03-11-2009, 06:36 AM
There doesn't seem to be much scientific evidence that NLP actually works. Relying on the sound ideas of our founding principles and sound money are much more effective tools than some pseudoscience gimmick.

FrankRep
03-11-2009, 06:39 AM
Words That Work: It's Not What You Say, It's What People Hear

by Frank Luntz
(lol)

http://www.amazon.com/Words-That-Work-What-People/dp/1401302599

acptulsa
03-11-2009, 06:56 AM
Um, they've already done it. All we have to do is tap into the 'Schoolhouse Rock' associations that already exist and use their old NLP to fight their new NLP. That being the case, why the hell not? Especially since our cause is the people, not the oligarchy.

Not saying the ends always justify the means. Just saying that we'd just be reactivating old programming still in the heads of the middle aged, not doing it ourselves.

As for the morality of the thing, I've used the stuff on myself, more or less. Great study aid.

Scribbler de Stebbing
03-11-2009, 08:16 AM
If we're just getting people to think of government as the wrong answer and to think positively about the free market again, I don't even see why it would be controversial.

thx1149
03-11-2009, 08:38 AM
There doesn't seem to be much scientific evidence that NLP actually works. Relying on the sound ideas of our founding principles and sound money are much more effective tools than some pseudoscience gimmick.

Conveniently, NLP does not require scientific evidence. It is a pragmatic philosophy. They don't care about science or dogma. Instead the only thing that matters is results. NLP techniques can seem silly and illogical. If you think that matters, then you don't understand NLP. It is never about scientific truth. Only results. Part of the difficulty in scientific testing is that it is a generally a feedback-response system, and the skill and mental state of the practitioner play a huge role in the ability to meet the intent.

NLP is a dirty word. The founders have splintered and hundreds of people have rushed in and written books and given lectures on what they call NLP. There is now so much divergence in what you can find referred to as NLP, and a lot of it is junk. Also, a fair amount has been tied to areas such as the new age or seduction, so that in the eyes of society NLP can be found in a bad light.

Other than your comment about "some pseudoscience gimmick," I mostly agree with you. We should be focused on our principals and our message. NLP skills could aid our abilities to communicate our messages to others, but learning and excelling at those skills is not something trivial. It could possibly help, but in the end of the day I personally think our time would be better spent focusing on our principals and communicating them clearly through "normal" means.

trey4sports
03-11-2009, 09:02 AM
NLP can be used in many different ways. ever heard of Derren Brown? theres absolutely nothing wrong with using it.

Kludge
03-11-2009, 09:28 AM
NLP is legal under the ALTRUIST (Advanced Linguistic Techniques Restoring Unity In State Treasuries) Act and is vital in conveying much needed information.

Kludge
03-11-2009, 09:33 AM
//

InterestedParticipant
03-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Why ask this question?

Why frame it as a Yea or Nea answer?

Ninja Homer
03-11-2009, 10:08 AM
NLP is mostly about being a better communicator and breaking through habitual thought patterns. There's nothing voodoo about it... you can't control people's minds or make them think and do things they don't want to do. It's not brainwashing, it's more like a means to break through previous brainwashing. I see no problem in using it if that's the kind of thing you're into.

Some people do it naturally anyway. That's how NLP started... it was a study of how some people are more successful in communicating than others. Then they took what they learned and tried to teach other people how to do the same.

Some NLP torrents (http://thepiratebay.org/search/nlp/0/99/0)

GunnyFreedom
03-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Why ask this question?

Why frame it as a Yea or Nea answer?

I want to form a basis for whether or not it should be used first, and then once we come to something remotely resembling a consensus on that, then we can get more deeply into the shades of gray.

I am intentionally trying to stay out of the "yes or no" phase (lasting until sunrise Thursday) to avoid influencing it, before we get down and dirty into the details and caveats.

sdczen
03-11-2009, 01:32 PM
NLP works and works well. It's the art of leading thoughts in a direction where people can identify with at a much deeper level. Learn it, use it and live it.

BarryDonegan
03-11-2009, 01:35 PM
NLP is just talking. do what works.

mediahasyou
03-11-2009, 04:37 PM
NLP only helps liberty to be better communicated. Theres some good NLP torrents out there.

Force is wrong. However, NLP does not force others to do something without consent. The government does force others to do something without consent.

The answer to your question is YES we should use NLP to promote liberty
and NO you should not use NLP to take power over me through the government.