PDA

View Full Version : Earmarks

satchelmcqueen
03-10-2009, 09:07 PM
So it just hit me.

for the last 2 years weve been told and had it played on the news networks that if someone ear marks something, then thats bad. the average person picks up on this and believes that all ear marks are bad, without ever understanding just what one really is.

ear marks are very good IMO, if they set aside money for needful things and not wasteful things. either way the money is gonna be spent, so getting portions of that money designated for the good is the way it should work...and hopefully not allowing anything left over to be squandered with no track record.

now fox news just attacked paul over the ear mark issue and called him a porker after months of praising him.

could it be that over the last 2 years, that washington WANTED the average person to think any and all earmarks are bad so that when they finally announced all of these big spending bills, they could just spend the money anyway they wanted without any oversight? Because after all, if money isnt ear marked (set aside) from the way i understand, then you really have no way of tracking where and how it was used.

hope that makes sense.

EDIT:

check paul explaining it for a better understanding of what im getting at.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq_5H1XKVww

ForLiberty-RonPaul
03-10-2009, 09:37 PM
makes sense to me

TastyWheat
03-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Sorry, I still don't like the practice of earmark spending. The money going to these districts and states never should have been taken away. If these projects are going to be funded, they should be funded by the cities and the states.

Zuras
03-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Earmarks themselves are not inherentely bad; it's the process behind them that is. It's fertile grounds for corruption.

tpreitzel
03-11-2009, 12:49 AM
I remember the hullabaloo over earmarks during the presidential race of 2008. With just a little thought, it was obvious then and now that earmarks aren't the problem, but rather the RESULT of a corrupt system whereby the government steals money from the people by force and then is willing to return a portion of that money with nooses attached. A congressman would have to be a fool to not go to bat for his raped constituents. Ron plays his cards brilliantly on this issue. The real problem is the original THEFT.

hugolp
03-11-2009, 01:12 AM
Sorry, I still don't like the practice of earmark spending. The money going to these districts and states never should have been taken away. If these projects are going to be funded, they should be funded by the cities and the states.

And that is what congress should vote no to the resolution. BUT, if you know the money is going to be taken away from the people, its prefereable that the money goes back even as a goverment spending. Obviously it would be better to have the money in private hands and not having the goverment taking it, but, once you know its going to be taken anyways, at least, get the money to give some service to the people that generate it.

Hugo

satchelmcqueen
03-11-2009, 07:25 PM

i agree with that, but it is how it is for now. they are blaming paul for using the system in the best way he knows how, or is allowed to. they understand how it works, just trying turn the tide on him once again.

TastyWheat
03-11-2009, 10:32 PM
i agree with that, but it is how it is for now. they are blaming paul for using the system in the best way he knows how, or is allowed to. they understand how it works, just trying turn the tide on him once again.
I'm sure Ron is the kind of guy who would calculate the exact amount of money that was stolen from his district, but just to be safe I wouldn't take part in it personally. Worthwhile spending or not, one district shouldn't be spending another district's money.

Paulitician
03-12-2009, 01:11 AM
It's fertile grounds for corruption.
That's government for ya

IPSecure
03-12-2009, 01:26 AM
Call 'Ear Marks' what they really are: "Nipple Rings"...