PDA

View Full Version : Obama Details Plan for Overhauling Education

EgwaTlvdatsi
03-10-2009, 05:45 PM
http://www.usnews.com/blogs/on-education/2009/03/10/obama-details-plan-for-overhauling-education.html

You've got to be kidding me...

I saw this on CNN first. Now I do know they've tried things like this in the past, but even the news castors put it down. However, this time, the lady had said that "We do need a change" or something along that line...Wasn't against it, sounded more like she was for it.

Zippyjuan
03-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Making teachers more responsible for quality of work and not their years in the Union? Sounds good so far.

Original_Intent
03-10-2009, 07:44 PM
When Obama does somethink to displease the NEA I will shit a brick of 24k gold.

EgwaTlvdatsi
03-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Well, that part is ok...What really ticked me off was the longer hours and school year. That really ticks me off...
Ok, I reread through the thing, and found a few more things...(I admit, I was having some trouble earlier, when I get these bloody shakes my brain goes. Drives me nuts, but eh).

http://www.whitehouse.gov/agenda/education/

* Zero to Five Plan: The Obama-Biden comprehensive "Zero to Five" plan will provide critical
support to young children and their parents. Unlike other early childhood education plans, the
Obama-Biden plan places key emphasis at early care and education for infants, which is
essential for children to be ready to enter kindergarten. Obama and Biden will create Early
Learning Challenge Grants to promote state Zero to Five efforts and help states move toward
voluntary, universal pre-school.
* Expand Early Head Start and Head Start: Obama and Biden will quadruple Early Head Start,
increase Head Start funding, and improve quality for both.
* Provide affordable, High-Quality Child Care: Obama and Biden will also increase access to
affordable and high-quality child care to ease the burden on working families.

Unfortunately, I still have to question this. A government run program is still a government run program.

Reform No Child Left Behind: Obama and Biden will reform NCLB, which starts by funding the law. Obama and Biden believe teachers should not be forced to spend the academic year preparing students to fill in bubbles on standardized tests. They will improve the assessments used to track student progress to measure readiness for college and the workplace and improve student learning in a timely, individualized manner. Obama and Biden will also improve NCLB's accountability system so that we are supporting schools that need improvement, rather than punishing them.

I would like to know more about these "assessments".

Support College Outreach Programs: Obama and Biden support outreach programs like GEAR UP, TRIO and Upward Bound to encourage more young people from low-income families to consider and prepare for college.

This one I really have a beef with...Granted I don't know if it's like it was when I was in TRIO, but if it is, then hell no. I had gone to this school and was helping kids between 5th and 7th grades, but I wasn't allowed to help all the kids. I was only "allowed" to help certain kids. Hopefully, it's not like that any more.

All in all, it's not too bad. However, I still don't feel quite right about it.