PDA

View Full Version : What Schiff Would Do As Senator - A Min. with Peter Schiff (Fairfield Weekly)

Lucille
03-10-2009, 03:03 PM
He sounds like he's warming to the idea!

A Minute with Peter Schiff (http://www.fairfieldweekly.com/article.cfm?aid=12042)
The Internet star, potential Dodd challenger and talking head who was right elaborates on his philosophy

He Who Pawns
03-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Guys, we need to get this message to Schiff: Running for senate is a Win/Win situation for him. If he wins, he becomes a US Senator and can make a huge difference in Washington. Even if he loses, he will raise his public profile sky high, and probably triple his number of clients at Europac.

Kotin
03-10-2009, 03:35 PM
news in today that many of Chris Dodd's constituents will probably not vote for him for reelection ....

HARTFORD, Conn. - Failed presidential candidate Christopher Dodd faces a tough re-election bid for his sixth term in the U.S. Senate, according to a new poll released Tuesday.

A Quinnipiac University poll shows Dodd in a virtual tie with former Republican U.S. Rep. Rob Simmons of Stonington in a hypothetical 2010 matchup. The poll shows Simmons with 43 percent of the vote and Dodd with 42 percent.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/statewire/hc-ap-ct-connecticutsenatemar10,0,2659885.story

He Who Pawns
03-10-2009, 04:49 PM
From the article:

Maymin: What would you do as Senator? What needs to be done?

Schiff: The thing that the U.S. government needs to do is shrink — at least by two-thirds. What I would try to do to help the American people is to cut as much government spending as I possibly could. I would shrink the military dramatically. I would try to take our troops home from wherever they are around the world and just try to have a military that defends the borders of the United States.

So take them home from Korea, from Germany, from Iraq and Afghanistan?

Just have our military here. Protect the coasts. We don't need to police the world. There might be a couple of small strategic bases, but we don't need to have people in Western Europe. They're still in Germany. What are we doing in Germany? We don't need all these troops there. So I would take them home. We gotta abolish a lot of departments, like education, energy — all these departments just need to go.

Labor?

Yeah, labor. We gotta abolish them. We gotta fire everybody that's working there.

Very interesting how he ended the interview as well:

There's obviously Republicans that still believe in small government, in sound money. It's just none of the elected officials ever govern that way. That's one of the reasons you really need to put some people in office who really don't want to be in office. They're just there to do a job and get out. And the job is of dismantling the government and shrinking it and restoring it to its proper function.
;)

Austin
03-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Damn it Schiff...

Run, please!

Knightskye
03-11-2009, 10:39 PM
That's one of the reasons you really need to put some people in office who really don't want to be in office.

Dude, Peter Schiff is perfect for that. :D

Imperial
03-13-2009, 06:14 PM
I wouldn't emphasize cutting departments in Connecticut...let's just stick to he predicted the economic crisis, and Dodd just breaks what he touches.