PDA

View Full Version : Obama orders review of Bush legal maneuvers

jrich4rpaul
03-10-2009, 06:13 AM
http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/03/09/america/legal.php

"In exercising my responsibility to determine whether a provision of an enrolled bill is unconstitutional, I will act with caution and restraint, based only on interpretations of the Constitution that are well-founded," Obama wrote in a memorandum to the heads of all departments and agencies in the executive branch.

decatren
03-10-2009, 08:20 AM
I guess he'll do anything trying to make himself look like a good guy, a savior by exposing a bad guy bush.

acptulsa
03-10-2009, 08:28 AM
"But Obama also signaled that he intended to use signing statements himself if Congress sent him legislation that had provisions he decided were unconstitutional. He pledged to use a modest approach when doing so, but said there was a role for the practice if used appropriately."

Seems to me a modest approach to an unconstitutional provision would be to veto the damned thing and send it back to Congress for a do-over. Seems to me passing a bill with unconstitutional elements and making no more note of the fact than a signing statement is to place yourself above the Constitution. Nothing modest about doing that.