PDA

View Full Version : How you can help my campaign

nickcoons
03-08-2009, 03:24 PM
To help, you don't need to be an elegant writer or expert debater. I'm not asking that you convert everyone you meet to a Libertarian or a supporter of my ideas. Let me and my campaign handle that (but if you're up to the challenge...).

I'm simply asking for help in obtaining the audience. And it's easier than you might think, because most of these tasks require no more than a few mouse clicks.

1) Join our campaign mailing list at http://www.nickcoonsforcongress.com/subscribe. We've set a goal of reaching 1,000 subscribers by June 30th. We currently have 80 now, so there's a lot of work to do.

Once joined, the newsletter and website provide you with tools to easily invite others. Please take advantage of these.

2) If you have a Facebook or MySpace account, find me and add me as a friend there, and invite others to join the cause on Facebook.

3) Financial contributions are not especially important at this time, though we are set up to accept them at the campaign site if you'd like to assist in that way.

4) On the campaign site, we've referenced some interesting resources as well as built a bit of a library on freedom-oriented ideas. If you're not convinced yet that Libertarians have it right, then please start there.

The primary theme here is "get the word out."

Regardless of the chances of a Libertarian candidate winning a federal office, we intend to run a real campaign. Ron Paul had very little political success (if we use "vote count" as the standard), but in spite of that had an active following that woke up in others which many of us know to be right. Let's continue that activity into the mid-term elections by helping me spread the message about our campaign's efforts.

Austin
03-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Completed both 1 and 2 :)

What are the reasons for running on the Libertarian ballot rather than the Republican?

nickcoons
03-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Completed both 1 and 2 :)

Thanks!

What are the reasons for running on the Libertarian ballot rather than the Republican?

The short answer is "because I am not a Republican." I certainly respect Ron Paul's ideas, and his determination to repair the Republican Party. But I have two issues with the latter.

First, is that I believe the Republican Party is beyond repair. It will never stand for what it once did. Those days are gone.

Second, while the Republican Party once stood for lower taxes and smaller government, it never stood for freedom principally, and there's no reason to think that it ever will.

If you're looking for a more practical answer... my district is highly contested. Last year, there were at least five Republicans in the primaries looking for their party's nomination to gain the seat in the House. Given the many areas where I part from the established party's current politics, I'd never make it through the primaries.

Kotin
03-08-2009, 04:59 PM
done and done.

Kludge
03-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Why run as a Libertarian instead of an Independent?

nickcoons
03-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Why run as a Libertarian instead of an Independent?

Why run as an Independent instead of as a Libertarian? Are you looking for an answer more insightful than because I am a Libertarian? :)

Kludge
03-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Why run as an Independent instead of as a Libertarian? Are you looking for an answer more insightful than because I am a Libertarian? :)

Yes :p

Don't you think the Libertarian title carries some baggage with it? What are some of the benefits of running with Libertarian endorsement?

nickcoons
03-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Don't you think the Libertarian title carries some baggage with it?

I don't think so, unless you're referring to Barr's campaign. But virtually nobody knows who he is. On the other hand, those that do know who Libertarians are may see that we're vindicated given the "we told you so" of the current economic situation.

What are some of the benefits of running with Libertarian endorsement?

Our local party here is fairly active, and grassroots efforts are strong. Phoenix can be called the center of libertarianism in the US. It's the birthplace of the Ron Paul Revolution. The "R3VOLUTION" logo was created by a local activist named Ernest Hancock, who created the logo for his 2006 Secretary of State campaign. In January of 2007 when he heard that Ron Paul was exploring the idea of running for President, he immediately put the logo into service by prepending it with Ron Paul's name. Then he toured the country showing local meetups how to make the signs. His new campaign, "It's Not MY Debt! (http://itsnotmydebt.com/)", will likely be the next to spread throughout the country.

We have a local "activist workshop" that's in the process of being built out. It's several thousand square feet with facilities to create signs, banners, printed literature, and engineering and staging equipment for broadcasting radio and television (the photos on the website are outdated, I was there a week ago and it's far more completed than what it appears).

Phoenix is truly a good place to be a Libertarian.

nickcoons
03-08-2009, 09:15 PM
BTW, here's the link to join the cause on Facebook:

http://apps.facebook.com/causes/228715/48919270?m=cc366e79