PDA

View Full Version : Doogie Howser GOP

sparebulb
03-08-2009, 09:18 AM
If anyone needs more proof that the Republican leadership is bankrupt of new ideas and strategies, here is another gem. Homeschooling has prevented this young man from receiving the character-building right of passage of the wedgie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vz1TVpwme0

heavenlyboy34
03-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Somehow I'm not surprised that teenagers are the mental giants among conservatives. ;):D lol!

ForLiberty-RonPaul
03-08-2009, 10:02 AM
to be so young and yet be so good a Bullshitting.....

btw OP, what does homeschooling have to do with this? I went to public school, observed and received wedgies, and knew douchebags just like this kid. I think what he lacks is a big brother to administer the wedgies.

Golding
03-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Nothing wrong with homeschooling.

The kid sort of said nothing for about three minutes. The only really substantial thing he mentioned is that "conservatism" is a term that's been thrown around so much that people don't know what it means anymore. Fair enough, he outlined his definition of conservative principles: "Respect for the Constitution, respect for life, less government, and personal responsibility".

This is where he deviates from what I would consider the next logical question, though. He goes into this empty diatribe about principles vs. policy, instead of saying something on the order of "In what ways has the Republican party deviated from these principles?"

Oh well. Kind of a hollow speech, overall.

sparebulb
03-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Nothing wrong with homeschooling.

You are correct, there is nothing wrong with homeschooling. This boy's parents are shamelessly using him. Under normal circumstances, this boy would be frightened to engage in this garbage for fear of being wedgied at school. The role of the school bully has been demonized. The traditional school bully helps maintain social norms.

ForLiberty-RonPaul
03-08-2009, 11:52 AM
You are correct, there is nothing wrong with homeschooling. This boy's parents are shamelessly using him. Under normal circumstances, this boy would be frightened to engage in this garbage for fear of being wedgied at school. The role of the school bully has been demonized. The traditional school bully helps maintain social norms.

wtf? seriously?

Kludge
03-08-2009, 11:57 AM

Indeed. This is how I view government.

We should not be limiting government, but empowering it.

Some say the Constitution didn't do ENOUGH to empower the federal government over the AoC, but I say it should have gone further to establish social norms within society and maintain them to prevent culture leak.

Let us recite the anthem together!

sparebulb
03-08-2009, 12:04 PM
wtf? seriously?

Normally, the parents would prevent the kid going out there and looking like a pussy. When that safeguard breaks down, the peer punishment mechanism kicks in. This kid should be protected from being used like this. If it takes a wedgie or a melvin from a thug, so be it.

With the public schools cracking down on nomal male juvenile behavior, the way is clear for boys to grow up as pussies.

NYgs23
03-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Have you ever noticed that when a youth says something an adult disagrees with the adult says "Brainwashed by his parents, humph!", but when the youth says something the adult agrees with the adult puts his hand over his heart and says, "Ah, from the mouths of babes..." Sounds like rank stupidity on the adult's part to me.

This wasn't the most substantive speech ever (I suspect he needs a number of more years to focus his ideology, and I hope he comes out on Ron Paul's side of conservativism) but it's still indicative of more brains than half of our legislators and most of the people on that YouTube comments board.

The problem is that our society infantilizes young people and therefore misunderestimates their potential. It is, of course, a self-fulfilling prophecy when 14 year olds behave with no more maturity than kindergarteners. But there was a time when a 14 year old was considered practically an adult and would be practicing a trade. We should be pleased that there are still youths around who can step up to a podium and be that articulate, not complain that he wasn't up to par (compared to who? Semi-literate public skool 9th graders who can't sit still for 40 minutes?) or that he hasn't been wrapped tightly enough in the infantilizing bubble wrap of the wider society.

Golding
03-08-2009, 12:21 PM
You are correct, there is nothing wrong with homeschooling. This boy's parents are shamelessly using him. Under normal circumstances, this boy would be frightened to engage in this garbage for fear of being wedgied at school. The role of the school bully has been demonized. The traditional school bully helps maintain social norms.I don't think I'd go that far. The kid had a decent opening thought, but just didn't think of a substantial direction to go with it.

I don't fault the kid for wanting to be active in politics. In fact, good for him for taking the initiative to write a book and get a speaking role at CPAC at such an early age. You're right that it's a rotten thing if his parents are pushing him into all this, but if it's something he's actually interested in then I'm not going to suggest that we'd be better off with him being bullied into complacency.

Freedom 4 all
03-08-2009, 12:21 PM
That kid is going to get eaten alive in high school.

Kludge
03-08-2009, 12:31 PM
That kid is going to get eaten alive in high school.

Yup. Parents like those of this kid (not all or even most homeschooling parents -- and many parents I see at PTA events) are the ones preventing actual education.

Can't divide classes up by intelligence because you'd be calling the "Average and below" kids stupid (and Lord knows MY child is exceptionally bright). ("Tracking" is instituted in many of the industrialized nations around the world)

Can't permit any critical thinking or deep discussion in history or English classes because then it'd seem like the government is endorsing some ideology.

If you have tenure, you MAY be able to put a subtle religious symbol somewhere in the classroom, but that's a big risk.

And absolutely no Wikipedia citations. Lord knows that all sorts of weirdos are editing that.

moostraks
03-08-2009, 12:59 PM

Giving you the benefit of the doubt that you have a wry sense of humour, something lost in cyber discussions. That said, as a homeschooling parent children obsess on some odd topics if left to their own resources and not pigeon-holed in to studying the schools choice of topics with little time left to their own devices. Seemed like he was comfortable (bordering on cocky) would be interesting to see where he took the topic in written form since after the initial comments he fell short of substance.

Many parents do steer in the homeschooling movement depending on the logic of the reasoning of the parent for homeschooling. It is just as likely, however,judging by his enthusiasm, he has a genuine interest in politics. Would that we could get some liberty-minded progenies to be the next leaders rather than the mindless twits indoctrinated at government schools...

NYgs23
03-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Giving you the benefit of the doubt that you have a wry sense of humour, something lost in cyber discussions. That said, as a homeschooling parent children obsess on some odd topics if left to their own resources and not pigeon-holed in to studying the schools choice of topics with little time left to their own devices.

Yes, if he was interested in train engines, Gothic novels, or paleontology no one would bat an eye. But when it comes to politics, all you're supposed to do is recite the Pledge of Allegiance every day until you hit magic 18.

brandon
03-08-2009, 01:20 PM
god that kid makes me want to punch a hole in my wall and throw my laptop out the window... nARRRRRRGGGGHH

devil21
03-08-2009, 05:46 PM
god that kid makes me want to punch a hole in my wall and throw my laptop out the window... nARRRRRRGGGGHH

Why? It sounds like he has a better grasp on the principles of conservatism than most of the people in the GOP. Dare I say a young Ron Paul?

Zuras
03-08-2009, 06:23 PM
If anyone needs more proof that the Republican leadership is bankrupt of new ideas and strategies, here is another gem.

Republicans don't need any new idea or strategies. They need to abandon the new ones and go back to the old ones, in fact.