PDA

View Full Version : OMG! My Dad has finally woken up!

RCA
03-07-2009, 08:18 PM
For at least 3 years I've been telling my Dad about the Fed and the international bankers, etc. Up to now he's labeled me a conspiracy theorist, dooms-dayer among other things. He just called and said "Wow, I have to admit that you and Ron Paul have been right all along about the Fed and the international banking cabal! I nearly passed out because he is as liberal as they come. Maybe this is a sign of others in the same mindset also waking up. Now, I can enjoy family gatherings a little better without the fear of being seen as the one wearing the tinfoil hat.

:eek:

Kotin
03-07-2009, 08:19 PM
congrats man..

victory.. :D

RonPaulVolunteer
03-07-2009, 08:20 PM
May it be a sign...

RCA
03-07-2009, 08:31 PM
congrats man..

victory.. :D

Thanks. I can only hope that my brother will follow!

ClayTrainor
03-07-2009, 08:33 PM
my dad is on the verge of converting too. He was a neo-con and is a 'fiscal' conservative at heart, but that Dam foreign policy is what divides us. I've gotten him closer to our positions, but he's still pretty dam scared of Iran for some reason.

Congrats RCA, i hope i have similar luck with mine :cool:

RCA
03-07-2009, 08:34 PM
my dad is on the verge of converting too. He was a neo-con and is a 'fiscal' conservative at heart, but that Dam foreign policy is what divides us. I've gotten him closer to our positions, but he's still pretty dam scared of Iran for some reason.

Thanks and Godspeed with your efforts!

trey4sports
03-07-2009, 08:52 PM
intl bankers and the fed are GOOD people. they make the markets work more effeciently.....

Young Paleocon
03-07-2009, 10:26 PM
intl bankers and the fed are GOOD people. they make the markets work more effeciently.....

I guess sarcasm? Or the fed makes markets work better?

Conza88
03-07-2009, 10:59 PM
For at least 3 years I've been telling my Dad about the Fed and the international bankers, etc. Up to now he's labeled me a conspiracy theorist, dooms-dayer among other things. He just called and said "Wow, I have to admit that you and Ron Paul have been right all along about the Fed and the international banking cabal! I nearly passed out because he is as liberal as they come. Maybe this is a sign of others in the same mindset also waking up. Now, I can enjoy family gatherings a little better without the fear of being seen as the one wearing the tinfoil hat.

Congratulations, he's obviously been listening to Fox. Now this is the crunch period, the window of opportunity. DO NOT MISS IT.

Print out Lew Rockwell articles, Mises.org content, audiobooks, comics, make him a DVD of Money, Banking and the Federal Reserve (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-466210540567002553) etc.

His belief is SHALLOW at the moment, he is open to re-lapse. You have to BACK IT UP, REINFORCE it. Make sure he doesn't dive down the memory hole and into the matrix again when the MSM changes tune. As, they, WILL.

This is a critical period.. Get them away from the TV's while you can.

Think of it like this; it may seem like we're winning the battle at the moment, but that doesn't mean we'll win the war. They are flanking us, and we can GET there before they do, or we can waltz along like it ain't happening.

The best thing anyone can do right now is show them its MAINSTREAM, then get them away from the tv and false prophets. Make them TRUE BELIEVERS... as Ron likes to say.

Nows the time.

A. Havnes
03-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Awesome story! I wonder exactly what made him change his mind...

JoshLowry
03-07-2009, 11:06 PM
That's great!

I woke up my dad as well. It's great being able to pull loved ones out of the fog.

torchbearer
03-07-2009, 11:18 PM
If Ron doesn't run in 2012 that will be a huge mistake.
I think people will be ready for the message then.

Athan
03-07-2009, 11:25 PM
If Ron doesn't run in 2012 that will be a huge mistake.
I think people will be ready for the message then.

You overestimate their intelligence.

RCA
03-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Awesome story! I wonder exactly what made him change his mind...

I'm not sure. I haven't mentioned politics to my family for a few months because I honestly got burned out trying to wake them up. We actually got into a really heated argument during Thanksgiving about gun ownership. I think that combined with all the bailouts gave them time to think about what I've been saying all these years.

Conza88
03-07-2009, 11:59 PM
I'm not sure. I haven't mentioned politics to my family for a few months because I honestly got burned out trying to wake them up. We actually got into a really heated argument during Thanksgiving about gun ownership. I think that combined with all the bailouts gave them time to think about what I've been saying all these years.

Ask him... I'm wondering what it was. :) Hopefully we can replicate it.

RCA
03-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Ask him... I'm wondering what it was. :) Hopefully we can replicate it.

He said it became quite clear with all the stimulus money going to the banks and the Fed refusing to answer questions about where the money went. Also, reading the details of the housing stimulus caught his eye. Like being able to refinance up to $750,000 but only if that equals less than 30% of your income (i.e. helping out the rich). That added to my 3 years of "obsessing" was the formula, I believe.

:rolleyes:

TastyWheat
03-08-2009, 12:14 AM
That's awesome. I've been trying to work on my family but they all have their own angles. I think my oldest brother is pretty close to my wavelength but he doesn't realize the seriousness of it all.

Bman
03-08-2009, 12:35 AM

Good Luck. It took me a few months of badgering my father. I did get him to vote for Ron Paul in the primaries so I considered it a success.

dude58677
03-08-2009, 01:03 AM

Nice going, man.

PS, are you from Indianpolis? You're name is RCA, is this named after the old RCA Dome?

raiha
03-08-2009, 03:41 AM
Can be a bit embarrassing for a father to admit his son has more nouse than he does. Good on ya!

RCA
03-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Nice going, man.

PS, are you from Indianpolis? You're name is RCA, is this named after the old RCA Dome?

Thanks. RCA are my initials.

heavenlyboy34
03-08-2009, 09:00 AM

yayy!!! My folks are starting to come around too. They're even looking into buying gold now. Methinks my RP-ness has worn off on them. ;):D

lynnf
03-08-2009, 11:31 AM
yes, this is happening more and more, which I attribute to the bailout/stimulus. will they allow themselves to be lulled back to sleep? hope not.

lynn

Bruno
03-08-2009, 11:37 AM
RCA - considering getting him a book on the Fed like The Creature From Jekyll Island. He will be able to relate to the the historical references and the meddling of the Fed and the international banking cartel.

Jace
03-08-2009, 10:43 PM

Conza88
03-09-2009, 12:17 AM
To my dad, Ron Paul is too "radical" and might even be racist. What really turned my dad against Ron Paul was the Tim Russert interview where Russert brought up the Civil War. When Ron said slavery could have been abolished without the war, that did it for my dad. Ron Paul is forever a "revisionist" in his mind, and possibly an ignorant redneck with secessionist impulses.

Woah.. Just reading this angers me.

Show him this, anyway you can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uQBUQBIFkc

Then when it's done... take a sledgehammer to the TV. lol

The rest of my family is even worse. The MSM has too powerful a grip on their minds. Hollywood has given them their history and Anderson Cooper gives them their politics. They will parrot what they hear on TV and actually believe that they are stating an opinion that they have formulated on their own.

Try checking out the Must See Movies thread. (sig). Get the videos that get your point across if possible. :)

I actually had my brother-in-law set to vote for Ron Paul in the primaries, but all it took was some snowballs thrown at Sean Hannity and we Ron Paul followers were a bunch of kooks. If Fox News says Ron Paul is crazy, then obviously it's true.

Conversations around the dinner table have become unpleasant. If I bring up the Fed, then they say politely that there I go again with my conspiracy theories.

This could be a good opportunity, have they been watching Beck lately? Get yourself vindicated, then do your very best to get them off that crap, maybe print out some Lewrockwell.com articles or Mises.org? Audiobooks and clips?

Leave a dvd lieing in the recorder, hopefully someone will play it. *shrugs*

Maybe don't even try verbally convert them, go for the subtle route. Just leave an article about the Fed under the newspaper and they'll read it at the end.

A fiction story left in the toilet...

A Fable for Our Times by Murray Rothbard (http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard22.html)

Print out these COMICS.

How an Economy Grows and Why It Doesn't (http://www.restoretherepublic.org/documents/how-an-economy-grows.pdf)

The Kingdom of Moltz (http://www.constitution.org/tax/us-ic/schiff/moltz.pdf) (About inflation)

Put it on their beds, just leave it there. Don't say it was from you.

Then I say politely that they should educate themselves about the history of the Fed and how it works. Then they laugh about how I'm such a radical and an extremist, while they display that they have no knowledge whatsoever of what the Federal Reserve even is. And then I say they are being ignorant. And then it all devolves from there.

Ask them if they support anything in the Communist Manifesto? Any of the planks?

Then tell them, the FED is the 5th plank of the Communist Manifesto.

I've decided to stop trying to get them to wake up. Instead, I am preparing for the collapse of our society, and the end of the American Dream, which I think already ended with the Baby Boomers. I am placing my hope in the next generation. The smart ones will see clearly how badly we got screwed, and who was actually standing up for them while no one else was listening.

This is also another way to do it. Lead by example. Buy gold. Buy silver. Prepare for yourself individually. Lead the way.

When SHTF, remind them of who saw it coming. Remind them who was right. Depends how bitter you are I guess... or how much you want to make the point. The TV is FULL OF SHIT.

Anyway, please at least try some of the things I suggested before you give up entirely. Let me know how it goes.

:)

Jace
03-09-2009, 01:14 AM

nbhadja
03-09-2009, 05:25 AM
I watched the Republican debates with my dad and he agreed with everything Ron said, and we both agreed that McCain and Guiliani were psychotics. But then Chris Matthews and some guy from the Weekly Standard and some bimbo begin their post-debate "analysis" and they say that Guiliani knocked it out of the park and that old Ron Paul is a kook and a wacko -- and all is lost with my dad.

My dad is a hard-core Democrat and there is no way to break through the MSM brainwashing. He voted for Obama because he thinks Obama is for the little guy and Republicans are for the rich. He thinks Obama supports public schools while Republicans are for private schools that benefit the wealthy. He thinks that Obama is anti-war, and that a black president will heal the evils of history and that voting for Obama is a courageous and revolutionary act.

When I tell him that the rich gave Obama more money than McCain or any candidate ever, or that Obama never set foot in a public school and doesn't think they are good enough for his own children -- this kind of conversation angers my dad. I tell him if he believes in public education then he should support Palin, who was educated in public schools. But he just ridicules Palin, repeating stuff Tina Fey said on SNL, as if Palin said it. And when I got him to listen to Obama's AIPAC speech, my dad thinks that standing up for Israel and opposing Iran is somehow being anti-war, even though that was Bush's position, too! Somehow attacking Iraq was an evil perpetrated for the oil companies and Halliburton, but standing up to Iran is imperative for world peace and stopping the spread of WMDs!

I happen to think McCain is worse and more dangerous to our country than Obama, but my dad actually liked McCain right up until McCain secured the nomination. Then, when the MSM turned on McCain, my dad turned on him too. Now that the election is over, he likes McCain again because he thinks McCain is a "moderate" and not like those other extremist Republicans.

To my dad, Ron Paul is too "radical" and might even be racist. What really turned my dad against Ron Paul was the Tim Russert interview where Russert brought up the Civil War. When Ron said slavery could have been abolished without the war, that did it for my dad. Ron Paul is forever a "revisionist" in his mind, and possibly an ignorant redneck with secessionist impulses.

My dad has a Ph.D. but I've given up on him. It's gotten to the point where I decided to no longer bother even trying to discuss anything of substance with him. The thing is, he loves to debate politics and history. But it's too frustrating for me and I've lost a lot of respect for his ability to actually think for himself. I feel like Winston Smith in 1984 listening to duckspeak. I can show him a million times that 2 + 2 = 4. But when Chris Matthews says 2 + 2 = 5, then that's the truth. After all, it's what he has been taught his whole life. Democrats are good. Republicans are bad. Pay no mind to the Bernanke behind the curtain.

The rest of my family is even worse. The MSM has too powerful a grip on their minds. Hollywood has given them their history and Anderson Cooper gives them their politics. They will parrot what they hear on TV and actually believe that they are stating an opinion that they have formulated on their own.

I actually had my brother-in-law set to vote for Ron Paul in the primaries, but all it took was some snowballs thrown at Sean Hannity and we Ron Paul followers were a bunch of kooks. If Fox News says Ron Paul is crazy, then obviously it's true.

Conversations around the dinner table have become unpleasant. If I bring up the Fed, then they say politely that there I go again with my conspiracy theories. Then I say politely that they should educate themselves about the history of the Fed and how it works. Then they laugh about how I'm such a radical and an extremist, while they display that they have no knowledge whatsoever of what the Federal Reserve even is. And then I say they are being ignorant. And then it all devolves from there.

If they actually think that Obama is going to fix the economy by borrowing a trillion dollars from China and the Saudis for a "stimulus package," or that he's going to use windmills and higher taxes to stop the climate from changing, or that he's going to end "the war" -- well, who am I to question their hope?

I've decided to stop trying to get them to wake up. Instead, I am preparing for the collapse of our society, and the end of the American Dream, which I think already ended with the Baby Boomers. I am placing my hope in the next generation. The smart ones will see clearly how badly we got screwed, and who was actually standing up for them while no one else was listening.

Tell him that Obama is currently ordering the bombing of Pakistan and voted for the Patriot Act.

Conza88
03-09-2009, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the advice.

I tried a lot of that. I tried to get them to read Jekyll Island, and listen recordings of Edward Griffin. Tried to get them to read The Revolution, etc.

Obama's human interest story appeals more to them. I think that's a lot of our problem. Ron appeals to people who actually think things over, and he provides the details we are looking for. Obama provides a simple narrative for the sheeple, appealing to their emotions and self-image without confusing them with details. Never mind that Obama is giving away billions to bankers just like Bush did, and that all the guys in his inner circle happen to be millionaire bankers.

Broken promises. Contradictory statements. Pulling out of Iraq while keeping 50,000 troops there. Sounds like McCain? Whatever. Words can speak louder than actions.

I've been trying to awaken my family and close friends to Ron Paul for over a year now. There's just too much inertia, decades of indocrination to overcome, and the constant drumbeat from the MSM. You can lead a horse to water, but...

The sheeple need a charismatic front man to lead them. They will follow charisma off a cliff when they feel that they believe. That's what I've learned here. The people who speak the truth and challenge people to think are subject to ridicule and are usually only valued after they are gone.

I suppose some people are starting to wake up, though. Maybe I need better conversation skills.

Maybe a different approach.

Instead of TELLING them things. Ask questions.

"Do you know what creates the business cycle?"

"Why don't you make the minimum wage, $50 an hr?"

"What is the argument FOR democracy?"

"What is the difference between taxation and theft?"

Print out spooners quote on taxation and put it on every one of their beds... under the pillow. Please? :p

I'd love to see whether they get it or not.

I think you need to go after their PREMISES. STRIKE THE ROOT, not the branches.

"But this theory of our government is wholly different from the practical fact. The fact is that the government, like a highwayman, says to a man: 'Your money, or your life.' And many, if not most, taxes are paid under the compulsion of that threat. The government does not, indeed, waylay a man in a lonely place, spring upon him from the roadside, and, holding a pistol to his head, proceed to rifle his pockets. But the robbery is none the less a robbery on that account; and it is far more dastardly and shameful.

The highwayman takes solely upon himself the responsibility, danger, and crime of his own act. He does not pretend that he has any rightful claim to your money, or that he intends to use it for your own benefit. He does not pretend to be anything but a robber. He has not acquired impudence enough to profess to be merely a 'protector,' and that he takes men's money against their will, merely to enable him to 'protect' those infatuated travellers, who feel perfectly able to protect themselves, or do not appreciate his peculiar system of protection. He is too sensible a man to make such professions as these.

Furthermore, having taken your money, he leaves you, as you wish him to do. He does not persist in following you on the road, against your will; assuming to be your rightful 'sovereign,' on account of the 'protection' he affords you.

He does not keep 'protecting' you, by commanding you to bow down and serve him; by requiring you to do this, and forbidding you to do that; by robbing you of more money as often as he finds it for his interest or pleasure to do so; and by branding you as a rebel, a traitor, and an enemy to your country, and shooting you down without mercy, if you dispute his authority, or resist his demands. He is too much of a gentleman to be guilty of such impostures, and insults, and villanies as these. In short, he does not, in addition to robbing you, attempt to make you either his dupe or his slave."

:)

georgiaboy
03-09-2009, 06:18 AM
I played a round of golf this past weekend, and the conversation in my cart came around to "So, are you an Obama Man?" I proudly stated that I had voted for Ron Paul in the Rep primary, and then a little louder, so the whole foursome could hear, said that I voted for Bob Barr in the general. Immediately one of the other guys enthusiastically responded that he was heading libertarian himself, and his brother had already done so. Cool!

humanic
03-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Hit him with Fiat Empire or AFTF! The time is right.

acptulsa
03-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Don't forget to give him time to digest.

Please extend my congratulations and my condolences.

RCA
03-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Don't forget to give him time to digest.

Please extend my congratulations and my condolences.

Thanks. That was my thinking exactly. Digestion is a good thing.

paulitics
03-09-2009, 03:00 PM
My Dad has the same problem, extreme liberal. I think he is beyond repair because he is for nationalization of the banks,etc. He won't admit that government is corrupt no matter what I show him.

Conza88
03-09-2009, 07:10 PM
My Dad has the same problem, extreme liberal. I think he is beyond repair because he is for nationalization of the banks,etc. He won't admit that government is corrupt no matter what I show him.

Historical examples of how OTHER governments were corrupt?

Hitler with the Reicthstag? etc.

dirknb@hotmail.com
03-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Cool. 15 years ago my parents thought I was crazy. In the last year and a half they have totally come around though and are now big Ron Paul fans. They can see for themselves now how we are on a self-destructive slide, particularly accelerated since 9/11, and it made it much easier to get through to them. Many others are starting to notice how fucked up things are on their own and it is much easier to reach people now than in the past. Combined with the internet and DVD's, more people are waking up now than ever before.

Brian4Liberty
03-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Congratulations, he's obviously been listening to Fox.

I think you hit it on the head. If Glenn Beck says it, it must be true.

ClayTrainor
03-10-2009, 04:22 AM
Hey RCA, reading this thread encouraged me to fire up an email debate with my dad...

Check out this quote from his last e-mail of the night...

"Clay , I totally agree and always have agreed that these countries are for centuries have had war of some type whether Religion or cause. I have only said that when I read statements from soldiers who have fought there, that they feel they are making a difference with the people but again that may be a few soldiers and people who are not afraid to speak. I say we should bring our boys home and protect our borders from not only terrorism but immigrants that suck us dry with our free health system and weak laws ."

Revolution of the mind my friends, it's a beautiful thing... I think this is happening in a lot of places :cool:

qh4dotcom
03-10-2009, 08:29 PM

Don't worry too much about him....fortunately he only has one insignificant vote to cast on Election day and it will never be a "swing vote" that by itself puts a liberal in the White House.

Go concentrate on a more open-minded person so he can offset your Dad's vote.