PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooling Guides?

krazy kaju
03-07-2009, 04:15 PM
So I've been wondering about homeschooling for a while now. Are there any guides for parents on homeschooling in a libertarian fashion? I'm assuming there must be some textbooks for k-12 that are libertarian.

Kludge
03-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Don't permit them room to cheat. They're your students in a classroom, not your love-muffins. I have two cousins who both cheated their way through homeschooling and now have lives of nothingness (not the good Nihilist nothingness, either).

krazy kaju
03-07-2009, 04:22 PM
What is a studnet?

Like a net... of studs?

Kludge
03-07-2009, 04:23 PM
What is a studnet?

Like a net... of studs?

Lmao :D

euphemia
03-07-2009, 07:36 PM
If your goal is to teach a particular political point of view, that makes your goal the same as the goal of government schools.

We home schooled our daughter for ten years. Our "teaching guide" was the Constitution. When issues came up, we looked at our little pocket size copy we got for free at some convention and decided how the Constitution framed the discussion.

Teach the Constitution and the Federalist Papers. Your child will understand when s/he hears something that doesn't line up.

TurtleBurger
03-07-2009, 08:31 PM
If your goal is to teach a particular political point of view, that makes your goal the same as the goal of government schools.

I'm not sure I would agree with that. Libertarianism isn't merely a political point of view; it's a way of life. Teach children to respect themselves, not to steal, not to hurt people, and to expect the same from those around them and you've taught them the basics of libertarianism without even mentioning politics. That is not parallel at all to the government's education methods of teaching kids to be good quiet cogs in the machine and to grovel before those who are employed by the federal government. Of course you teach kids to think for themselves and not rely on a set of maxims that you spoonfeed them. But teaching them the concepts of libertarianism and free market economics will make them better, smarter people.
I don't know that you would find a specifically libertarian curriculum (although I think I've heard that the Mises institute puts out economics materials for homeschoolers), but you can mix in your values in every other subject you teach.

euphemia
03-07-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm not sure I would agree with that. Libertarianism isn't merely a political point of view; it's a way of life.

I hear that. As a home schooling parent, the goal should be to educate the child and teach him/her to think critically. An environment of freedom should exists within the family, but just approaching it from a political point of view will hamper education more than it helps.

Teach the Constitution. Kids are less vulnerable to lies when they know the truth.

The_Orlonater
03-08-2009, 10:52 AM
You can order books of Mises.org every now and then. :D

Take a language with a tutor, and get a math and science textbook too.

Libertarianism is a way of life.