PDA

View Full Version : A Rational discussion of the War On Drugs and Republican Policy

GunnyFreedom
03-07-2009, 05:04 AM
I know that anecdotes rarely if ever prove anything, but allow me to share a personal anecdote from my life which demonstrates a major failure of the War on Drugs.

Last year, about a week and a half before the NC State GOP Convention, I was helping a friend move into a third story apartment. I helped carry a dryer up to his apartment.

The next morning, I woke up with an intense pain in my lower back. The next day it got worse. I could feel my muscle groups locking in spasm, and after a quick diagnosis and a significant amount of research, I determined that I had slipped a disc.

By the third day, I could not move across a room without help, or a lot of things to hold on to.

For some background: I am a self employed network and Point Of Sale field service engineer. I was making great progress with my company until I dropped my life in 2007 to volunteer for Ron Paul. Money became very scarce, and I had no health insurance of any kind. I am not complaining - it was my own choice to go traipsing off to three states on a whim and a prayer.

After arriving at my diagnosis, I researched treatments. Intuitively, I thought I'd need a muscle relaxant to end the muscle spasm, and a pain killer to function until it could loosen and I could stretch out my muscles and my spine and heal up. My research on the internet confirmed this.

But I could not go to the drug store to buy 2 weeks of vicodin and a muscle relaxant.

After a week of being crippled with a slipped disk, I had to borrow money from my family to pay a doctor to tell me what I already knew: I had slipped (a light rupture) the L5-S1 disk, and the only difference between his scrip and mine, was that he added a steroid to promote healing.

So I buy the scrip myself, of my own money minus the Prednesone (I didn't want it) and three days layer I am on the podium at the NC State Convention running for RNC National Committeeman.

Were it not for the government regulation of drugs, I could have began proper treatment within 72 hours of the injury. Why must I be penalized for being intelligent and doing my research, into paying $250 dollars begging a signature for what I already knew?

I do know that my situation is not unique; although I was certainly over-affected on account of my financial situation, going a week between a ruptured disk and treatment, only 3 days before the state convention where I had an active role.

So what has the modern policy of drug regulation and prohibition done for me? If America were truly free, then I would have been free to treat myself. I say the failed and counter-productive War On Drugs must end. What say you?

nayjevin
03-07-2009, 05:32 AM
I say yea verily!

I feel your pain - I was bedridden for 3 weeks with a slipped disc earlier this year. My research gave me a nice liberty lesson: most cases clear without intervention :) .

RSLudlum
03-07-2009, 09:23 AM
It must end.

Just this past week, one of my co-worker's houses was full blown raided while he was at work. Appearently one of his roomies had some 'green leafy substance' delivered through the mail (downright stoopid if you ask me) and the authorities caught it. They showed up, kicked the door in and ransacked the place. His brother, room mate, and friend were arrested after the police put a good beating on his brother for speaking up and telling them he would show them where the 'stuff' was at. They completely destroyed the place; flour, sugar, chips, etc. thrown everywhere, funiture torn apart, everything that was sitting on a table or shelf was tossed on the floor, all his DVDs and a little over $100 confiscated.

But the real kicker and so symbolic of the War on Drugs is their total disregard for the american flag. He had a ceremonial burial flag of his grandfather's. They took it out the case, unfolded it and threw it on the floor. It now has boot prints on it. So very symbolic of the tyrannical mindset of the jack booted thugs of the police state.

"There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment of the process of life. All competing pleasures will be destroyed. But always— do not forget this, Winston— always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face— forever."
- George Orwell, 1984

Brian4Liberty
03-07-2009, 01:03 PM
: most cases clear without intervention :) .

Yep. Doctors are usually not required. It's like a cold. You get over it in 7 days if you see a doctor, a week if you don't see the doctor.

At the time of injury, put cold packs on the area. Take otc ibuprofen (don't mix with aspirin). Have a drink (if you drink alcohol). Don't try a lot of stretching until there is no pain. Rest. Be very careful about your sleeping positions. It will take about a week.

Prevention is important. Regular exercise and some good back stretches (yoga has a lot of them).

Our society is certainly screwed up when it comes to drugs. Prescription drugs are pushed like crazy, and then we have the "war on drugs" at the same time. Big pharma and the medical industry doesn't make a profit if people grow herbs in their backyards...

Minarchy4Sale
03-07-2009, 09:00 PM
The AMA has convinced us that we cant be trusted to medicate ourselves. BS.