PDA

View Full Version : obama's teleprompter addiction(article)

heavenlyboy34
03-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Does this mean anything to you? :confused: To me, it's quirky, but not particularly telling of anything (that I know of).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090305/pl_politico/19663

President Barack Obama doesn’t go anywhere without his TelePrompter.
The textbook-sized panes of glass holding the president’s prepared remarks follow him wherever he speaks.
Resting on top of a tall, narrow pole, they flank his podium during speeches in the White House’s stately parlors. They stood next to him on the floor of a manufacturing plant in Indiana as he pitched his economic stimulus plan. They traveled to the Department of Transportation this week and were in the Capitol Rotunda last month when he paid tribute to Abraham Lincoln in six-minute prepared remarks.
Obama’s reliance on the teleprompter is unusual — not only because he is famous for his oratory, but because no other president has used one so consistently and at so many events, large and small.
After the teleprompter malfunctioned a few times last summer and Obama delivered some less-than-soaring speeches, reports surfaced that he was training to wean himself off of the device while on vacation in Hawaii. But no such luck.
His use of the teleprompter makes work tricky for the television crews and photographers trying to capture an image of the president announcing a new Cabinet secretary or housing plan without a pane of glass blocking his face. And it is a startling sight to see such sleek, modern technology set against the mahogany doors and Bohemian crystal chandeliers in the East Room or the marble columns of the Grand Foyer.
“It’s just something presidents haven’t done,” said Martha Joynt Kumar, a presidential historian who has held court in the White House since December 1975. “It’s jarring to the eye. In a way, it stands in the middle between the audience and the president because his eye is on the teleprompter.”
Just how much of a crutch the teleprompter has become for Obama was on sharp display during his latest commerce secretary announcement. The president spoke from a teleprompter in the ornate Indian Treaty Room for a few minutes. Then Gov. Gary Locke stepped to the podium and pulled out a piece of paper for reference.
The president’s teleprompter also elicited some uncomfortable laughter after he announced Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius as his choice for Health and Human Services secretary. “Kathy,” Obama said, turning the podium over to Sebelius, who waited at the microphone for an awkward few seconds while the teleprompters were lowered to the floor and the television cameras rolled.
Obama has relied on a teleprompter through even the shortest announcements and when repeating the same lines on his economic stimulus plan that he's been saying for months — whereas past presidents have mostly worked off of notes on the podium except during major speeches, such as the State of the Union.

Ari Fleischer, a former spokesman for George W. Bush, said while it’s entirely a matter of personal style, using a teleprompter at these smaller events has its drawbacks.
“It removes you from the audience in the room,” Fleischer said. When speaking from notes, Fleischer said, the president can pick up his head and make eye contact with those in the audience, as opposed to focusing on the teleprompter to his left and right.
Bush, Fleischer added, “would use the teleprompter for his major big events, but when he would travel around the country or do events, he would almost always work off of large index cards.”
The White House says Obama’s point of reference is insignificant.
"Whether one uses note cards or a teleprompter, the American people are a lot more concerned about the plans relayed than the method of delivery. This is not always true of the media," said Bill Burton, deputy press secretary.
Obama has never tried to hide his use of a teleprompter. It was a mainstay during the final months of his campaign. He brought it to county fairs and campaign rallies alike — and once had it set up in the ring at a rodeo.
In a break from his routine, Obama did not use a teleprompter during his pre-Inauguration speech at a factory in Bedford Heights, Ohio — and his delivery seemed to suffer. He paused too long at parts. He accentuated the wrong words. And overall he sounded hesitant and halting as he spoke from the prepared remarks on the podium.
As president, the stakes in what he says are higher. Governing is not campaigning, and, as a former first-term senator, Obama has not held a previous elected position where his words carried even close to this level of influence.
“In this kind of environment, you don’t want to make mistakes — on the economy you’re talking about doing things that affect the markets,” Kumar said.
But be it extra precaution, style or a mental crutch, Obama has shown in the past that he needs the teleprompter. And while he still has his prepared remarks placed on the podium in a leather folder, the White House has shown no sign of trying to wean him off of it.
Before Obama entered a room in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building on Wednesday to announce his crackdown on defense contracts, a CNN reporter asked an Obama aide if the teleprompter could be moved further away from the podium or lowered. The answer was an unequivocal ‘no.’
“He uses them to death,” a television crewmember who also covered the White House under Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush said of the teleprompter. “The problem is, he never looks at you. He’s looking left, right, left, right — not at the camera. It’s almost like he’s not making eye contact with the American people.”
Wednesday’s event posed another scenario photographers and television crews have to work around. Obama had five others join him at the announcement, including Sen. John McCain. The takeaway shot was of Obama and McCain. But the teleprompter on Obama’s left was almost directly in front of McCain.
“You couldn’t get a good angle on him with McCain,” said a White House photographer who also covered Bush. “So if there’s someone else important in the frame, it’s hard to get a shot without the teleprompter.”

acptulsa
03-06-2009, 07:54 AM
It tells me the media is seriously desperate for something to say about Obama that completely lacks substance.

"They're stealing from the poor and giving to the rich!"

"Hey! Look at that teleprompter!!"

devil21
03-06-2009, 07:54 PM
It tells me the media is seriously desperate for something to say about Obama that completely lacks substance.

"They're stealing from the poor and giving to the rich!"

"Hey! Look at that teleprompter!!"

Maybe, but his exclusive use of teleprompters (a friggin rodeo ring? seriously?) is pretty telling that it's other people pulling his strings and he just reads what someone else puts in front of him. I find the part about not looking directly at the people interesting. That's a dead giveaway in body language of a liar and somebody with something to hide. GWB was a bumbling idiot but at least he made his own mistakes instead of relying on teleprompters all the time. This just takes even more away from Obama's "genuineness".

idiom
03-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Maybe its to control the stress.

He is about to preside over the destruction of all wealth in America.

HOLLYWOOD
03-09-2009, 09:59 PM
need I say more? :rolleyes:

finally, someone recognizes my gazillion posts on the Teleprompter Puppet.

Time to crack open a nice Chardonnay and Celebrate the Teleprompter Trophy for the Elitist Wealth Whore. ;)

FindLiberty
03-09-2009, 10:54 PM
[Thick smoke blows away revealing two small half-silvered mirrors on sticks. After a short pause for comedic effect, a startled voice booms out over the PA system,]

"...pay no attention to that man behind the 'prompter".

Elwar
03-10-2009, 07:47 AM
I don't think it's so bad...I remember early on George Bush used to carry note cards and he really sucked at giving speeches. He was always staring down at his note cards.

Then he started using telepromters more and it made him look more presidential.

Reading from note cards made him look like he was in a high school speech class.

acptulsa
03-10-2009, 07:50 AM
All I know is his continual ahs and uhs remind me of the couple in the novel Dune who used those noises as a means of secret communication between them during negotiations. Could ahs and uhs be Reptilian Language?! :eek:

angelatc
03-10-2009, 07:52 AM
I don't think it's so bad...I remember early on George Bush used to carry note cards and he really sucked at giving speeches. He was always staring down at his note cards.

Then he started using telepromters more and it made him look more presidential.

Reading from note cards made him look like he was in a high school speech class.

Obama is the first president to use them in press conferences.

zach
03-10-2009, 07:55 AM
He ain't real.

I prefer someone to mess up a few times during a speech rather than looking at a generalized, vague spot at the audience and say a perfect speech.

At least the former shows that they're willing to say if needed that they make mistakes like everyone else.

Truth Warrior
03-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Perhaps Barry is just not to good at remembering his puppet master's scripted lines for him to deliver. ;)

heavenlyboy34
03-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Courtesy of LRC. Here he goes again..

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/025763.html

Probably an even worse speaker than GWB. :eek::p lolz;)

devil21
03-10-2009, 03:13 PM
^^^
Wow thats bad. Definitely worse than GWB. What a sham.

Bruno
03-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Courtesy of LRC. Here he goes again..

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/025763.html

Probably an even worse speaker than GWB. :eek::p lolz;)

Yes, that was pretty horrible.

phoenixrising
03-10-2009, 11:31 PM
it's ABNORMAL...& the usurper is in over his head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just look at who he surrounds himself with??? he has NO friekin' clue ...puppets never do!!!

lynnf
03-21-2009, 09:02 AM
along with the goofy appearance on the Leno show,
we also have this... the Bogus POTUS thanks himself for invitation due to a teleprompter "accident"

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Barack-Obama-Thanks-Himself-In-Teleprompt-Blunder-During-Address-With-Irish-PM-On-St-Patricks-Day/Article/200903315243932?lpos=World_News_First_World_News_A rticle_Teaser_Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_15243932_Barack_Obama_Thanks_Himself_I n_Teleprompt_Blunder_During_Address_With_Irish_PM_ On_St_Patricks_Day

A laughing Mr Obama returned to the podium to take over but it seems the script had finally been switched and the US president ended up thanking himself for inviting everyone to the party

lynn

A. Havnes
03-21-2009, 09:20 AM
along with the goofy appearance on the Leno show,
we also have this... the Bogus POTUS thanks himself for invitation due to a teleprompter "accident"

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Barack-Obama-Thanks-Himself-In-Teleprompt-Blunder-During-Address-With-Irish-PM-On-St-Patricks-Day/Article/200903315243932?lpos=World_News_First_World_News_A rticle_Teaser_Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_15243932_Barack_Obama_Thanks_Himself_I n_Teleprompt_Blunder_During_Address_With_Irish_PM_ On_St_Patricks_Day

A laughing Mr Obama returned to the podium to take over but it seems the script had finally been switched and the US president ended up thanking himself for inviting everyone to the party

lynn

There should be a youtube of this!

angelatc
03-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Barack's teleprompter has a blog that is relatively snarky and amusing. http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/

Well, last night didn't go well. What can I say? I was tired. By the time Barack and the Irish PM stood up, the President and I had already done two major policy speeches, three nomination announcements, and light dinner banter for a table of twelve. And by the way, that "ad lib" last night about Guinness? Mine.

So why am I going public now, when for the past two years I've let others do the talking? Well, this is a thankless job, and I sure don't want to take the fall for communications missteps. But more important, I expect you'll be seeing a lot more of me over the next few months and years. Barack and I don't go anywhere without each other; we even complete each other's sentences ... well, more mine than his, but let's not split hairs.

Ah, I love the smell of Windex in the morning. We're doing a video for the North Koreans this morning.

Remember that whole dustup about Big Boy giving back the Winston Churchill bust the British government had loaned President Bush after the terrorist attacks on September 11th (no terrorist attacks on our nation's soil since ... just saying, America)? It was Biden’s idea. He persuaded The Big Guy that it wasn’t appropriate for such a great Administration to have a bust of a frowning Benny Hill in the Oval Office. That’s not just street smarts. That’s Delaware street smarts.

What really blows is that there are some folks in this place who are pushing for Barack to go out there alone. Sans me. With no wing screens.

Are they insane? With this rabid press corps constantly looking to pin Him down for every friggin' detail about obscure legislation like the TARP funding? Or the economic stimulus bill? All that kind of detail can't be fit on little note cards. Or even 5x7s. Sure, He rehearses, but nothing can prepare him for those white, hot interrogation-room-style kleig lights, or those razor-sharp questions from the likes of Ed Schultz and that bag lady in the front row. Believe me, this is going to be a knock down, drag out fight worth monitoring over the weekend.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_eUUNbiupCds/ScO1ix-_XaI/AAAAAAAAABI/AnkUW3iVHog/s200/TOTUS+SEAL.bmp

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_eUUNbiupCds/ScO1iXpPOzI/AAAAAAAAABA/3yLPX_grDAY/s1600-h/TOTUS.png

devil21
03-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Anybody know if BO had a teleprompter on Leno the other night? He seemed much more "with it" during that interview, almost even funny at the beginning. Curious to know if he had one there too.