PDA

View Full Version : Preparting for mid-term tomorrow need help

jbrace
03-05-2009, 05:02 PM
My question right now is in the election of 1900 you have Bryant a anti-imperalist and Mickneley and Roosevelt. Bryant is for corporate regulations, free silver, and doesn't believe a republic can be a empire. What are Mckinley and roosevelts views? I know Mckinley is for the gold standard, and protective tarriffs but what are his views on expansionism?

Young Paleocon
03-05-2009, 05:18 PM
To my knowledge Roosevelt was a trust busting, Imperialist, who federalized a lot of the lands in the west into national parks. So stupid on 3 counts.

MRoCkEd
03-05-2009, 05:39 PM
google is your friend
try wikipedia

Aratus
03-06-2009, 01:45 PM
William Jennings Bryan in 1896 makes his famous "cross of gold" speech that tears into the major banking interests who were partially responsible for the economic turbulance of the 1880s and 1890s. he wants silver to be a 20 to 1 ratio to gold. ounce to ounce, backing our currency. the Populists, the Grangers and the Greenbackers are three movements sweeping through the rural areas of our nation. the Republicans who are of the generation after the civil war tend to draw voters and votes from the northern cities. McKinley's 16 to 1 ratio is a gold standard response to Bryan. TR is on the ticket because veep Garett Hobart of NJ dies. in 1898, we went to war with Spain. the year 1900 was a referendum on the McKinley presidency. Bryan is also the peace candidate, in addition to being an agrarian populist. ironically enough, the discovery of gold in Alaska inflates our currency supply, and partially negates the reason for Bryan's bi-metalist ratio. Sir Isaac Newton put the U.K on the gold standard in 1717 after silver's 500 year reign. Mark Twain was scathing about our jingoism more than 100 years ago...

Elwar
03-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Roosevelt won...

if that helps