PDA

View Full Version : Gold bars in a safe in his basement!

MsDoodahs
03-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Flipping thru the business channels, landed on FoxBusiness, and some guy was talking to Stuart Varnish...the guy was saying that he talked to a wealthy guy who went to London, bought a bunch of gold bars, brought them back and put them in a safe in his basement.

He said something like "that doesn't help the economy."

And Varnish said, "no, gold doesn't do ANYONE any good."

:rolleyes:

tremendoustie
03-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Flipping thru the business channels, landed on FoxBusiness, and some guy was talking to Stuart Varnish...the guy was saying that he talked to a wealthy guy who went to London, bought a bunch of gold bars, brought them back and put them in a safe in his basement.

Niether does worthless paper, or reckless credit. None of it matters, they need to get this through their thick skulls: Real goods and services matter. If you produce it, you have it, and can consume it. If you don't produce it, you don't have it, and can't consume it, no matter how many little green slips of paper you have.

If you borrow to buy dinners out and big screen tvs, while your factories go to ruin, guess what, you're eventually going to have jack squat, no matter how many green slips of paper you print.

Bruno
03-05-2009, 01:22 PM

If he bought gold bars with FRN's, the guy who he bought the bars from now has FRNs and will likely circulate those back into the economy.

This is no different than buying a valuable painting from someone. Or am I missing something? His money didn't just disappear when he purchased it, it was a commodity and fiat currency was exchanged for it.

tremendoustie
03-05-2009, 01:25 PM
If he bought gold bars with FRN's, the guy who he bought the bars from now has FRNs and will likely circulate those back into the economy.

This is no different than buying a valuable painting from someone. Or am I missing something? His money didn't just disappear when he purchased it, it was a commodity and fiat currency was exchanged for it.

You're right. They're clueless, as usual.

angelatc
03-05-2009, 01:37 PM

Obviously the government needs to take those away to help the economy.

ihsv
03-05-2009, 01:55 PM
What's the guy's name and where does he live? :D

ckg242
03-05-2009, 02:56 PM
What's the guy's name and where does he live? :D

I know, right. I was literally reading just 5 minutes ago about storing gold. In the article it was stressed repeatedly not to tell ANYONE about your purchase.

MsDoodahs
03-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Obviously the government needs to take those away to help the economy.

That is the first thing that I thought of.

krazy kaju
03-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Actually, it does stimulate the economy, by increasing the demand for gold, thereby increasing prices, which will stimulate expansions in the gold mining industry.

Crowish
03-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Dave Ramsey just talked to someone on the phone and told him gold is stupid.

krazy kaju
03-05-2009, 04:27 PM

Ramsey said that when gold was at $700. Some people just never learn.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
03-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Ramsey said that when gold was at $700. Some people just never learn.

Hes waiting for it to go back to $35 an oz.

madengr
03-05-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm surprised he was able to get it back in the country without confiscation.

Josh_LA
03-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Niether does worthless paper, or reckless credit. .

wrong, worthless paper and reckless credit DOES help our drunk economy (and we shouldn't help it, we should HURT IT)

ihsv
03-06-2009, 12:15 AM