PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Cobert Marginalizes Libertarians 3-4-09

Chieppa1
03-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Anyone see The Cobert Report last night? He had a whole section of the show called The Doom Bunker which was a joke about the predictions of the guests on Glenn Beck yesterday afternoon. First he showed clips from Beck, then laughed off all the predictions about the market and the dollar as "crazy talk".

brandon
03-05-2009, 10:15 AM
You do realize this is a comedy program, right?

robertwerden
03-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Ah, but Colbert is a Liberal. And everything he says is not reverse. He always sides with the liberal point of view.
He only had Ron Paul on because of Ron's anti war stance. We Ron Paul supports started to watch Colbert because of the attention he paid Dr. Paul.

LittleLightShining
03-05-2009, 10:21 AM
I only saw the beginning of the clip when he was leading up to The Doom Bunker. I thought it was pretty funny-- especially the part where he likened Celente to Gargamel. I love Celente but I did think what his last appearance on Beck's show wasn't his best. Colbert is in character and I thought he played it to a tee, dismissing the fears of the paranoid right. Isn't that what the neo-con talking heads have been doing for years?

Chieppa1
03-05-2009, 10:28 AM
I know its comedy. Don't see too many skits about how every time Obama talks the markets go down. To me it just a perfect example of the sheep rolling their eyes, laughing and going back to their IPhones.

hugolp
03-05-2009, 10:29 AM
I only saw the beginning of the clip when he was leading up to The Doom Bunker. I thought it was pretty funny-- especially the part where he likened Celente to Gargamel. I love Celente but I did think what his last appearance on Beck's show wasn't his best. Colbert is in character and I thought he played it to a tee, dismissing the fears of the paranoid right. Isn't that what the neo-con talking heads have been doing for years?

Yes, but Glenn Beck has a point. Glenn Beck has been saying the same for some time now (even when he was in CNN). And I have listened to a lot of Celente radio programs and he says exatcly the same. So its not the same. The program had some base. I think even here people doesnt want to acknoledge the high risk of social unrest that all nations, specially the USA, are facing.

Hugo

Golding
03-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Ah, but Colbert is a Liberal. And everything he says is not reverse. He always sides with the liberal point of view.
He only had Ron Paul on because of Ron's anti war stance. We Ron Paul supports started to watch Colbert because of the attention he paid Dr. Paul.I can sort of understand the anti-collectivist stance some people take, when I see some people speak for others. No offense, of course. I watched Colbert's show because it was funny to watch him ridicule the overboard neoconservatives in office. Now that it's the Democrats doing the same sort of thing, he's ridiculing their detractors. So it's become a bit less entertaining and a bit more annoying to watch.

Chieppa1
03-05-2009, 02:30 PM
I can sort of understand the anti-collectivist stance some people take, when I see some people speak for others. No offense, of course. I watched Colbert's show because it was funny to watch him ridicule the overboard neoconservatives in office. Now that it's the Democrats doing the same sort of thing, he's ridiculing their detractors. So it's become a bit less entertaining and a bit more annoying to watch.

Exactly.

Chosen
03-05-2009, 02:52 PM
I know its comedy. Don't see too many skits about how every time Obama talks the markets go down. To me it just a perfect example of the sheep rolling their eyes, laughing and going back to their IPhones.
That is exactly the point.

The material selected is the problem.

Am I to believe that given the stack of disasters, criminal appointments, blunders, gaffs and theft from public coffers (in the period of about 2 months) hasn't provided enough material for parody? Of course not. A comedian could make a lifetime mocking Obama's first 2 months in office.

What Colbert represents isn't really comedy, it is the propagandistic method of contextualization. They wish to take a particular point of view and debase it by making it appear comical. This is obvious to anyone with any bit of intelligence. But if you want to see the real world effects of this propaganda, talk to a left wing zealot. They will adopt the mockery as gospel. You will hear them denounce ideas from within the logline of Colbert and Daily Show skits. The left zealots have adopted the impact of this show as topical and valid.

This isn't anything new, in terms of process. We have all had discussion with a collectivist zealot. What happens when they hit a wall and their argument fails? They become emotional and desperate and out comes the slander and abusive behavior. On a message board the result is usually trollish comments, things like "your source is stupid" etc. What I see in Colbert and the Daily Show is the end of debate. I see the failure of the leftist argument and the need to couch it in protective armor. How do I know this to be true? If you are complaining about the content of one of these shows, the classic collectivist defense is "it's just comedy." And there you have the purpose. This has always been the collectivists goal, deny debate and civil discussion.

devil21
03-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Anyone see The Cobert Report last night? He had a whole section of the show called The Doom Bunker which was a joke about the predictions of the guests on Glenn Beck yesterday afternoon. First he showed clips from Beck, then laughed off all the predictions about the market and the dollar as "crazy talk".

I'd have to see it. Colbert isn't easily translated into written words. His "mocking" is sometimes actually an endorsement. Anybody got a link?

Chieppa1
03-05-2009, 03:08 PM
That is exactly the point.

The material selected is the problem.

Am I to believe that given the stack of disasters, criminal appointments, blunders, gaffs and theft from public coffers (in the period of about 2 months) hasn't provided enough material for parody? Of course not. A comedian could make a lifetime mocking Obama's first 2 months in office.

What Colbert represents isn't really comedy, it is the propagandistic method of contextualization. They wish to take a particular point of view and debase it by making it appear comical. This is obvious to anyone with any bit of intelligence. But if you want to see the real world effects of this propaganda, talk to a left wing zealot. They will adopt the mockery as gospel. You will hear them denounce ideas from within the logline of Colbert and Daily Show skits. The left zealots have adopted the impact of this show as topical and valid.

This isn't anything new, in terms of process. We have all had discussion with a collectivist zealot. What happens when they hit a wall and their argument fails? They become emotional and desperate and out comes the slander and abusive behavior. On a message board the result is usually trollish comments, things like "your source is stupid" etc. What I see in Colbert and the Daily Show is the end of debate. I see the failure of the leftist argument and the need to couch it in protective armor. How do I know this to be true? If you are complaining about the content of one of these shows, the classic collectivist defense is "it's just comedy." And there you have the purpose. This has always been the collectivists goal, deny debate and civil discussion.

^This is what I meant.

LittleLightShining
03-05-2009, 03:12 PM
I'd have to see it. Colbert isn't easily translated into written words. His "mocking" is sometimes actually an endorsement. Anybody got a link?

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/220649/march-04-2009/glenn-beck-s-war-room (http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/220649/march-04-2009/glenn-beck-s-war-room)

Zuras
03-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Leno is about the only "equal opportunity" big name comedian/hosts. The rest of them are your typical liberal trash, or at least appearing and agitating as such. You can't blame them, as appealing to the poorly educated but well programmed masses keeps them in business.

devil21
03-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the link. I thought it was pretty funny and just typical Colbert making fun of Fox News. I fail to see where the Libertarian marginalization is though?

SimpleName
03-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Colbert marginalizes everybody except middle-line liberals. He is clearly a liberal and loves playing into the hands of his brain dead audience. It's so frustrating watching that show. Almost makes you feel hopeless when the audience cheers for horrendous liberty-revoking laws and regulations and then laughs at free marketeers and gun rights advocates.

Imperial
03-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Daily Show is better than Colbert. At least Stewart isn't afraid to attack liberals when they go wrong. Colbert does from time to time, but generally won't.

Master
03-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Colbert and Stewart are both terrible.

AutoDas
03-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Daily Show is better than Colbert. At least Stewart isn't afraid to attack liberals when they go wrong. Colbert does from time to time, but generally won't.

IE whenever a Democrat doesn't toe the party line they must be ridiculed on national television so the hipster 20 year olds can make phone calls about how that Democrat is against the poor when they suggest Government isn't the answer.