PDA

View Full Version : Need help with an analogy

LibertyEagle
09-15-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm arguing with this guy about the whole WOT. You know, why in hell did we invade Iraq and seem to think we need to invade Iran, because of 9-11, because they had NOTHING whatsoever to do with it. Most of the attackers came from Saudi Arabia.

He said....

"We need a military presense in the Middle East for our National Security ...in my opinion we "are" fighting a defensive war ...The Twin Towers was our Pearl Harbor ...or would you rather wait until we are nuked?"

I'm replying with...

What do you not get about the fact that NONE of the hijackers came from Iraq OR Iran. Zip, Nada, Zilch!! The vast majority of them came from Saudi Arabia, which by the way, is where bin Laden came from.

Now, I'm looking for an analogy to show him how ridiculous he's being. You know, kind of like he's suggesting to punch his next door neighbor, because of something his boss did to him. I know, I know... bad analogy. Now you understand why I'm looking for help with it. :p

Can anyone come up with a better one?

dwdollar
09-15-2007, 04:43 PM
If you feel like pissing him off... Ask him how many times a nuke has been used on a civilian population and who used it.

LibertyEagle
09-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Oh, I'm going to piss him off alright, but I want to do it with the analogy I was looking for. You know.... it doesn't make much sense to hit neighbor A, when it was neighbor B, who attacked you.

american.swan
09-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Oh, I'm going to piss him off alright, but I want to do it with the analogy I was looking for. You know.... it doesn't make much sense to hit neighbor A, when it was neighbor B, who attacked you.

I think this is another case of where this commoner seems to think he knows what is going on inside the 200 some odd governments around the world. Governments have a life of their own. They have goals of their own that more often then not the public hasn't a clue about.

I'd ask the guy how many books written by our current policy makers he has read. I might guess none, yet he still claims using some logic as to why we should stay in Iraq and bomb Iran based on fictional one liners sent from our government to get what the government wants, not what he wants. This is the difference between Ron Paul and the other candidates who are blowing steam. Ron Paul may not know everything, but understands that the "policy" of the government, supported by government insiders for the purpose of government insiders has hijacked policy and is causing harm. This "policy" has nothing to do with the welfare of the common man on the streets of America nor will it ever.

Anyone who thinks staying in Iraq or bombing Iran is policy designed for the benefit of the American voter needs their head examined.

Kregener
09-15-2007, 05:23 PM
It was a terror cell called al Qaeda, right? NOT a nation. So, it was a religious ideology that perpetrated the attacks of 9/11 and we attacked the nation of Iraq in response.

So it is like me beating up my Catholic next door neighbor because a Jehovah's Witness came to my door.

Okay, bad analogy.

His Pearl Harbor reference is more relevant than he realizes. The U.S. government knew Pearl Harbor was going to occur 2 weeks before it did. They sat on all the intel until it happened, and got their desired American involvement in the war.

Fast forward to 2001.

Same thing.

The NWO is insidiously patient, if nothing else.

BlCkDeAtH
09-15-2007, 05:25 PM
It's like punching a wall because your computer froze.

american.swan
09-15-2007, 05:29 PM
It's like punching a wall because your computer froze.

Good one.

mdh
09-15-2007, 05:32 PM
The more important question here is whether you want to "own" this guy on the internet, spend(waste) a bunch of time arguing with someone who's opinion on this issue you are unlikely to change, or whether you want to deliver votes for Dr. Paul.

You guys really... should go see the Anita Andrews training. :p

RP4Life
09-15-2007, 05:39 PM
Just ask the war-nerd if he likes his country being used as an Israeli attack poodle.

theseus51
09-15-2007, 05:54 PM
It's like walking around in a bad neighborhood. You can't just go around stabbing or beating up everyone who looks scary. Just mind your own business, but carry a big gun. If you are attacked, fight back, but attacking everyone who looks scary actually makes you less safe because you know they will fight back, plus others might gang up on you. If you mind your own business, and especially if everyone knows you're carrying a weapon, and you don't piss them off, they have no reason to attack you.

And if you go around your neighborhood and start beating up all those that look like "bad people" but harmed nobody, seriously, who really is the bad guy? And best case scenario is you aren't even in the bad neighborhood to begin with. =)

Chester Copperpot
09-15-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm arguing with this guy about the whole WOT. You know, why in hell did we invade Iraq and seem to think we need to invade Iran, because of 9-11, because they had NOTHING whatsoever to do with it. Most of the attackers came from Saudi Arabia.

He said....

I'm replying with...

Now, I'm looking for an analogy to show him how ridiculous he's being. You know, kind of like he's suggesting to punch his next door neighbor, because of something his boss did to him. I know, I know... bad analogy. Now you understand why I'm looking for help with it. :p

Can anyone come up with a better one?

Liberty, this is an old one from Franklin and although it applies, it is a bit outdated and he may not understand the relevancee.. but here it goes anyway.

George was so smart he could say Horse in nine languages.
So ignorant he bought an ox to ride on.

McDermit
09-15-2007, 06:18 PM
It's like walking around in a bad neighborhood. You can't just go around stabbing or beating up everyone who looks scary. Just mind your own business, but carry a big gun. If you are attacked, fight back, but attacking everyone who looks scary actually makes you less safe because you know they will fight back, plus others might gang up on you. If you mind your own business, and especially if everyone knows you're carrying a weapon, and you don't piss them off, they have no reason to attack you.

And if you go around your neighborhood and start beating up all those that look like "bad people" but harmed nobody, seriously, who really is the bad guy? And best case scenario is you aren't even in the bad neighborhood to begin with. =)

Good one.

freedominnumbers
09-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Let's say every morning you go next door and kick your neighbor's dog before leaving for work.

One morning your neighbor says to you "if you keep kicking my dog I'm going to light your car on fire".

You kick his dog the next morning and he lights your car on fire in the parking lot of your work. It explodes and injures a bunch of your coworkers.

Even though he was wrong to light your car on fire and injure a lot of people you still caused it by kicking his dog.