PDA

View Full Version : What's up w/ H.R. 1207

mstrmac1
03-05-2009, 07:14 AM
is it going to get through? How come we don't talk more about it?

http://thomas.loc.gov/home/gpoxmlc111/h1207_ih.xml

lynnf
03-05-2009, 07:24 AM
is it going to get through? How come we don't talk more about it?

http://thomas.loc.gov/home/gpoxmlc111/h1207_ih.xml

I have something to say about it -- what would prevent a sham audit from being done under the loose provisions of the bill. sometimes the details determine the outcome -- such as who does the audit and the standards that it will be done under. maybe the gao could be trusted to do it right, maybe not.

remember that Enron was audited regularly but the audits were a sham.

lynn

raystone
03-05-2009, 08:09 AM
Mr. Kagen, Mrs. Bachmann, Mr. Bartlett, Mr. Jones, Mr. Rehberg, Mr. Posey, Mr. Broun of Georgia, Mr. Poe of Texas, Mr. Burton of Indiana, Mr. Abercrombie, and Ms. Woolsey

11 Cosponsors seems like a good start. Do they have any pull in making this happen ?

itshappening
03-05-2009, 08:40 AM
we need to promote this, it might be a small victory...

who is against transparency? I see Bloomberg are suing for this info

reagle
03-05-2009, 09:21 AM
the bill has support from both sides of the aisles

robertwerden
03-05-2009, 10:26 AM
HR 1207 publicity bomb!!!!

Todd
03-05-2009, 10:27 AM
It's got some co sponsors too which is good sign.

Maximilian American
03-05-2009, 01:19 PM
HR 1207 publicity bomb!!!!

Emails, Letters, Articles or phone calls to all the major news channels, newspapers, news websites, online forums, blogs, etc. We did it before with our great organizing efforts and determination, I'd do it again. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/icons/icon14.gif

UtahApocalypse
03-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) Will be signing as a Cosponsor today :)

Maximilian American
03-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Is it possible to get some support from the senate? Senator Sanders seems like at least 1 senator who would speak up for this bill. Perhaps writing him a letter or a phone call would help.

Maximilian American
03-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) Will be signing as a Cosponsor today :)

:)

blocks
03-05-2009, 06:18 PM
I was stunned to see my Rep, Lynn Woolsey, as a co-sponsor...I emailed her a thank you note.

MRoCkEd
03-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Is it possible to get some support from the senate? Senator Sanders seems like at least 1 senator who would speak up for this bill. Perhaps writing him a letter or a phone call would help.
Ron Paul mentioned on freedomwatch that he spoke with sen. sanders the other day.

blocks
03-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Ron Paul mentioned on freedomwatch that he spoke with sen. sanders the other day.

Also, when Sanders grilled Bernanke the other day he mentioned legislation that "we're going to introduce today." I originally assumed it was HR 1207, but his being in the Senate might prove otherwise, so not sure what exactly he was referring to.

Imperial
03-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Also, when Sanders grilled Bernanke the other day he mentioned legislation that "we're going to introduce today." I originally assumed it was HR 1207, but his being in the Senate might prove otherwise, so not sure what exactly he was referring to.

No, I think he is making legislation to force the Federal Reserve to disclose who receives the money it is distributing to corporations because the Fed is refusing to disclose the recipients.

Why? Bernanke said it could hurt perception basically...to which Sanders made the excellent point of if they perceive this is the corporations' weakness, why should it be hidden?

Not our bill, but still a good cause. He should be contacted about HR 1207.

People to get its support who would be likely to sign on:

Senate:
Bunning(R- Kentucky)
Sanders(I- Vermont)
De Mint(R- South Carolina)

House:
Alan Grayson(D-Florida)
Dennis Kucinich(D-Ohio)

Let's get this effort going! More people?

mstrmac1
03-06-2009, 07:34 AM
This was posted in another thread as a letter to send to your reps. Thanks to who made this!

The letter:

[Your Name]
[Your Address]
[Your Phone Number]

[Today's Date]

[Representative's Name]
[Representative's Local Office Address]
[Representative's Phone Number]

Dear Representative [Representative's Name Here],

I urgently seek your Support and Co-Sponsorship of H.R. 1207: The Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2009.

Recently, it has come to light that the Federal Reserve is not accountable to American citizens. While we are required by law to give an accounting of every penny we come in contact with, the Federal Reserve, in contrast, can spend as it pleases without Congressional approval or oversight. In this economic crisis, we deserve an accounting of how our money is being spent-- H.R. 1207 will shed light on the Federal Reserve. President Obama pledged to bring transparency to Washington D.C., and by supporting this piece of legislation you are assisting the President in achieving this very worthy goal.

President Obama also pledged to work with both parties in order to find bi-partisan solutions to the problems facing America. H.R. 1207 currently has bi-partisan support amongst its 11 co-sponsors. Your support for this legislation will demonstrate a willingness on your part to put the interests of your constituents before party loyalties.

This critical legislation is short and concise, and can be read in less than 5 minutes. I encourage you to take the time to read H.R. 1207, and then swiftly act to support it. A lack of support for H.R. 1207 suggests that you oppose the President's goals of transparency and bi-partisanship, and instead favor secrecy and division.

Thank you in advance for your attention. I have every expectation that you will do right by your constituents and support this measure to bring accountability to the Federal Reserve.

Sincerely,
[Signature]
[Your Name Here]
[Your Contact Info]

mstrmac1
03-06-2009, 08:30 PM
blimp

itshappening
03-06-2009, 09:02 PM
bump

www.congress.org