PDA

View Full Version : Michael Steele on RON PAUL & US

bobbyw24
03-04-2009, 08:57 PM
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2009/01/05/ron-paul-finally-gets-his-due/trackback/

Ron Paul–Finally–Gets His Due
Susan Davis reports on politics.

For much of the 2008 campaign, Texas lawmaker and Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul and his supporters served as a thorn in the side—or a punching bag—for the mainstream GOP establishment.

Yet today, the six men vying to run the Republican National Committee praised the grassroots enthusiasm Paul tapped into during his campaign—and discussed how they would like to capture that enthusiasm to expand the party’s appeal.

“Ron Paul certainly brought a whole new generation of voters and I think it’s important going forward that we recognize the strengths and the attributes of these individuals who are out there actively building the party and building a movement, a consensus if you will, on certain issues. We can’t look that in the eye and say ‘No, we don’t want that,’” said former Maryland Lt. Gov. Michael Steele, adding that the RNC needs to find “creative ways” to work with candidates supported by Paul and his followers, and to work with Paul directly to that end.

“I think, at this stage at this party, everyone who can help us should be brought into the room to help us,” Steele said.

South Carolina Republican Party Chairman Katon Dawson recalled memories of Paul’s supporters campaigning during his state’s early primary.

“I witnessed early on the Ron Paul army in South Carolina,” Dawson said, stressing the importance of building new coalitions. “I want people involved in my party that will hang off bridges and paint on their cars and make up t-shirts. There was a passion that I saw of those people for him and his ideas. Do we agree with all of them? No, but we are a party that has to embrace differences.”

Saul Anuzis, Michigan Republican Party Chairman, touted his outreach to Paul supporters, attending campaign functions and talking to supporters. “I think you treat [Paul supporters] like everybody else—if they want to be part of the Republican Party, if they want to participate, we have to welcome them in.”

Former Mike Huckabee campaign manager Chip Saltsman recalled seeing the passion behind Paul’s operation on the ground while the two former rival campaigns shared office space in Iowa. (Saltsman also identified Paul, an obstetrician, as “Dr. Paul”—a key distinction among his supporters.) “Dr. Paul…he is a wonderful man with wonderful ideas,” Saltsman said, “Do we agree with him all the time? Absolutely not.”

Incumbent RNC Chairman Mike Duncan agreed the GOP has to broaden their appeal, and noted that he has met with Paul on two occasions. The key, Duncan said, was respect. “I personally have treated leaders of his campaign with respect, I’ve met with them. I personally treated his foot soldiers with respect whether it was at our convention in Kentucky or whether it was the Republican National Convention in Minneapolis, St. Paul,” he said.

Only Ken Blackwell did not praise Paul by name, although he agreed with the overall sentiment of broadening the party’s base. “We are a federation that invites differences,” he said, “The RNC can no longer be a social club, it must be the flagship Republican organization in this nation.”

As for Paul, he spent Monday doing what he does best—railing against federal intervention and regulation of the free market during a House Financial Services Committee hearing on the alleged $50 billion Ponzi schemes of Bernard Madoff.

“It’s not the fault of the individuals at the [Securites and Exchange Commission]. They have an impossible job and they have to pretend they’re doing something to feel relevant, the same way we do here, in the Congress. We have to feel relevant in this,” Paul said, “Instead of saying what we need is the market to work, we need to get rid of the bad policies, the monetary system, and this mountains of debt. We say, well, we’re relevant because we’re going to hire more bureaucrats and we’re going to appropriate more money that we don’t have and we’re going to solve all our problems.”

Permalink | Trackback URL: http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2009/01/05/ron-paul-finally-gets-his-due/trackback/
Save & Share: Share on Facebook | Del.icio.us | Digg this | Email This | Print
Read more: Congress, Political Parties

speciallyblend
03-04-2009, 09:10 PM
lowsy attempt at sucking up to us!!!

steele has alot more to say then i am sorry to us!!!!

Maverick
03-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Yeah, that's what he said when he was campaigning. You think he's going to even pretend to care about us anymore now that he has the job? I don't think so.

MsDoodahs
03-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Michael Steele. :rolleyes:

The GOP leadership is frikken ignorant.

speciallyblend
03-04-2009, 09:20 PM

2nd that motion;)

Feelgood
03-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Steele just another neo-con hack, dont forget it!

lynnf
03-04-2009, 09:36 PM
will he still be around in 2 years?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/19588.html

Steele trap? GOP fears grow

A month after Michael Steele became the first African-American chairman of the Republican National Committee, key party leaders are worried that the GOP has made a costly mistake — one that will make it even harder for them to take back power from the dominant Democratic Party.

RonPaulFanInGA
03-04-2009, 09:55 PM
The fact that they're mentioning and talking positively about Ron Paul cannot be seen as a bad thing. I welcome Steele's comments here.

idiom
03-04-2009, 11:10 PM
The fact that they are metnioning him is suprising. The democratic ad attacking leadership of the Gop made damn sure not to mention RP.

torchbearer
03-04-2009, 11:15 PM
I don't think they want us in the room with them... as in, participating in party positions.
They just want us to do their leg work and they keep their guys in power.

fr33domfightr
03-04-2009, 11:27 PM
I don't think they want us in the room with them... as in, participating in party positions.
They just want us to do their leg work and they keep their guys in power.

Agreed.

FF

LibertyEagle
03-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Anyone have that video from after the 2nd debate? You know the one -- the one with the special effects --- Steele's red eyes glaring, etc. :)

bobbyw24
03-05-2009, 04:59 AM
Yeah, that's what he said when he was campaigning. You think he's going to even pretend to care about us anymore now that he has the job? I don't think so.

That is an excellent point

tremendoustie
03-05-2009, 05:28 AM
All right, let me fire up the ol' partisan hackery translater ...

*bloeeaap ....

“Ron Paul certainly brought a whole new generation of voters ...

*blidplip ... "Please don't leave, we're bordering on geriatric here"

... and I think it’s important going forward that we recognize the strengths and the attributes of these individuals ...

*blrrurrr ... "Damn, you guys just don't give up"

... who are out there actively building the party and building a movement, a consensus if you will, on certain issues.

*wwwhp ... "Sigh, I remember when we had a movement .... and issues ..."

We can’t look that in the eye and say ‘No, we don’t want that

*bsssrzzr ... "I desperately want to look that in the eye and say, 'No, I don't wan't that'. But, that'd bring us down to 8 people with a measurable pulse ..."

... adding that the RNC needs to find “creative ways” to work with candidates supported by Paul and his followers, and to work with Paul directly to that end.

*shshpw ... "I'm sure we can trick them in some way, they must have a weakness ... I'll get my people to work on this ... Paul's getting old, and I hear he likes cookies ..."

“I think, at this stage at this party, everyone who can help us should be brought into the room to help us,” Steele said.

*whrrr... "Later in the party, after we get the power, we'll boot them." Alternate translation: "Medic! Medic!"

*grease trap light blinks

Shoot, I thought I just emptied this ...

speciallyblend
03-05-2009, 08:38 AM
All right, let me fire up the ol' partisan hackery translater ...

*bloeeaap ....

*blidplip ... "Please don't leave, we're bordering on geriatric here"

*blrrurrr ... "Damn, you guys just don't give up"

*wwwhp ... "Sigh, I remember when we had a movement .... and issues ..."

*bsssrzzr ... "I desperately want to look that in the eye and say, 'No, I don't wan't that'. But, that'd bring us down to 8 people with a measurable pulse ..."

*shshpw ... "I'm sure we can trick them in some way, they must have a weakness ... I'll get my people to work on this ... Paul's getting old, and I hear he likes cookies ..."

*whrrr... "Later in the party, after we get the power, we'll boot them." Alternate translation: "Medic! Medic!"

*grease trap light blinks

Shoot, I thought I just emptied this ...

hahaha funny stuff, now can you call steele and inform him hehe

Join The Paul Side
03-05-2009, 11:42 AM
We'd help them if we knew their intentions were honest. But first they have to prove they are. They could start by being nicer to Ron. Adopting his ideas and publicly preaching them. And finally, giving him a fair shot to win in the primaries. No making fun of him. No marginalizing him. No Snooty Rudy snickering in the background at debates.

We'll just have to wait and see. I'm still skeptical too.

angelatc
03-05-2009, 11:45 AM
lowsy attempt at sucking up to us!!!

steele has alot more to say then i am sorry to us!!!!

Do you want a blow job or what?

angelatc
03-05-2009, 11:45 AM

YOu mean, like inviting us to participate in the GOP tech summit?

He did.

Join The Paul Side
03-05-2009, 11:47 AM
One more thing, they need to stop pushing Bobby Jindal down the party's throat. This guy is a fraud and a fake. It's embarassing. :mad:

smithtg
03-05-2009, 12:05 PM

Michael "hip hop" steele is what I call him now

speciallyblend
03-05-2009, 12:22 PM

i can tell ron paul is honest, i can also tell steele will say anything to get power.

steele is not trustworthy ,i wouldn't even let him touch me;)let alone suck me!

i do not trust him , ithink steele is a liar and will say whatever he needs to sucker suckers!!

i remember everything steele said in the primary. he has no trust and will never gain my trust until he is ousted, sanford looks like gold compared to that scumbag!!

acptulsa
03-05-2009, 12:22 PM

Hit that nail straight on the head!

fj45lvr
03-05-2009, 12:28 PM
steele says "HELP US"

Hell no you damn son-of-a-bitch!!! You guys FAIL and are LOSERS we're not about to "help" incompetence.....

Let's get real....the GOP nominated a BIG FAT LIBERAL named McCAIN!!! do you really have to say anything else???

God I wish the Constitution Party would rise up and the GOP end up in a pile of ashes.

I don't trust any of the current people in "power" there to do anything other than what they proved they could do in 2 tours of duty under BOTH george bushes.....raise taxes and GROW government.

Join The Paul Side
03-05-2009, 12:54 PM
i can tell ron paul is honest, i can also tell steele will say anything to get power.

steele is not trustworthy ,i wouldn't even let him touch me;)let alone suck me!

i do not trust him , ithink steele is a liar and will say whatever he needs to sucker suckers!!

i remember everything steele said in the primary. he has no trust and will never gain my trust until he is ousted, sanford looks like gold compared to that scumbag!!

Micheal Steele is a fraud also just like Bobby Jindal.

constituent
03-05-2009, 12:59 PM

classy.

constituent
03-05-2009, 01:00 PM

Well, at least you can see that.

speciallyblend
03-05-2009, 01:45 PM

we need to get a clip of steele saying ron paul is done.
after steele apologizing to rush, we really could apply this to his chairmanship.

maybe steele should apologize to everyone in the media first to.

steele belittled himself by doing that! maybe we should all email steele that clip;)

i am no steele fan,but that was plain stupidity A GOP LEADER sucking up to a radio show host as if he is the leader,basically told the democrats that rush is the leader,sigh

not like their is a better option for rnc they all were pathetic,at least we now know who our leader of the gop is Rush or RON PAUL

I CHOOSE RON PAUL