PDA

View Full Version : Need help for debate about War on Drugs

Zera
03-04-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm proposing a bill in my political science class to end the war on drugs, though I am fairly certain I will be getting some opposition to it. So, could you guys help me get some good argument points? These are the ones I am suspecting will come:

What about children getting these drugs?
Why would you legalize harder drugs (e.g. heroin, meth, etc.)
Wouldn't it still be dangerous to get drugs from street dealers?/How would the drugs be sold?

Any other common arguments you have heard from opposers, please share them and help me out with them. Thanks.

FrankRep
03-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Harvard economist explains why marijuana should be legal.

http://www.wimp.com/marijuanalegal/

Zera
03-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Harvard economist explains why marijuana should be legal.

http://www.wimp.com/marijuanalegal/

I don't think they will object to marijuana. I believe they will go after heroin and harder drugs.

Imperial
03-04-2009, 08:50 PM
What about children getting these drugs?

Can children get drugs now? The answer is yes. They have no bright line. If they try to say removing enforcement will make it worse for consumption, demand warrants. Now, drug dealers have more incentive to market to the little kids because the drugs are outlawed and driving up demand.

Why would you legalize harder drugs (e.g. heroin, meth, etc.)

Same principle applies. You could say first that we will never eradicate their sale, so government enforcement being inherently uneven will put some over others in its sale. Basically, somebody is going to make a huge profit, just like defense contractors do in war.

Wouldn't it still be dangerous to get drugs from street dealers?/

Aren't drugs dangerous in the status quo? They are also not looking at the negatives that come from the problem. Cite Mexico's Drug War here, and the massive instability that has come between the drug cartels and the army; use some pathos about the poor people caught in the middle. Also we can't solve global drug trade; war on drugs eventually pulls us into other countries like Mexico or Columbia, escalating bloodbaths.

How would the drugs be sold?

Let the free market handle it? You could also compromise. Pour some war on drugs money into education on drugs, or put regulations on the drugs like minimum ages.

You might get more traction if you do a legalize hemp bill. Say no money will be directed to DEA for enforcement of hemp permit laws or something along those lines, cite the lakota genocide.

*I am not actually for the immediate or total legalization of all hard drugs. I just wrote these for the sake of your debate, and don't necessarily advocate all of it.

MRoCkEd
03-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Here's an essay I just posted:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=182347

powerofreason
03-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Make sure you make the moral argument first. Explain the concept of self-ownership; why it is so important to recognize the rights of others to be free. The practical angle is super obvious if you spend more than a moment thinking about it.

fr33domfightr
03-04-2009, 11:47 PM
The war on drugs manifests itself as a war on personal freedom. No constitutional amendment exists prohibiting drug manufacture, possession, or use, which was necessary to prohibit alcohol, right??

Since the first statement requires a costitutional amendment, and none exists, technically, drug use isn't a crime.

Ignoring the statements above, drug use doesn't have to be a criminal offense, it can be decriminalized. Many people would accept "legalization" of Marijuana. As such, it could be regulated and taxed like alcohol.

Search the forums as this has been discussed in the past.

FF

JoshLowry
03-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Also do research on how violence comes around whenever you prohibit any substance.

Reference the 1920's/alcohol prohibition and draw parallels.