PDA

View Full Version : University offers first Beatles degree

emazur
03-04-2009, 05:43 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090303/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_beatles_degree

There are already enough people with a BS in BS, but c'mon, a Beatles degree? I've got nothing against the Beatles, but this push towards illegitimate college education (and the student debt that goes with it), which Obama is trying to push even harder, is maddening. This particular degree is only offered in London, but I can foresee in the near future degrees in Myspace, Twitter, Lolcatz, and American Idol.

schiffstudent
03-04-2009, 05:49 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090303/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_beatles_degree

There are already enough people with a BS in BS, but c'mon, a Beatles degree? I've got nothing against the Beatles, but this push towards illegitimate college education (and the student debt that goes with it), which Obama is trying to push even harder, is maddening. This particular degree is only offered in London, but I can foresee in the near future degrees in Myspace, Twitter, Lolcatz, and American Idol.

What a complete waste, and sinful in my opinion, to throw money away like that.

Mini-Me
03-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Come on, I can think of millions of professions that could use Beatles experts! ;)

kaleidoscope eyes
03-04-2009, 08:15 PM
I prolly would have minored in that :D :P
But, then again, I was a music major, not much of a stretch.

malkusm
03-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Huh?

I'm in a Beatles class through the honors program at my school - and people look at me funny when I tell them there's a whole class on the Beatles. An entire degree??

MsDoodahs
03-05-2009, 05:05 PM
The US graduates women with degrees in "women's studies."

China graduates women with degrees in engineering.

We.

Are.

SOOOO.

Screwed.

A. Havnes
03-05-2009, 06:11 PM
We offer degrees in pretty stupid things, if you ask me. Granted, I can see a Beatles class, particularly for music majors, or even just for fun, but a whole major is a waste.

For example, there's a university that offers theology classes regarding Christian themes in Harry Potter, and covers all 7 books. It would be an interesting and fun class to take, but if it became a major, I think I'll give up on the education system.

On that note, it's gotten to the point where I swear you need a degree for the most retarded things! Sometimes, I think that all that should be required is proof that you know how to do something.

Oh well. Maybe this means that maybe one day I'll be able to major in The Legend of Zelda and move on to work at Walmart.

The_Orlonater
03-06-2009, 08:50 PM
The US graduates women with degrees in "women's studies."

China graduates women with degrees in engineering.

We.

Are.

SOOOO.

Screwed.

Not to mention how we collectivize people into groups and study them. :rolleyes:

Danke
03-06-2009, 09:25 PM
I have been lobbying my alma mater a long time to have an Elvis Major.

KenInMontiMN
03-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Think I'll go apply for bailout funds to major in fiscal mismanagement, so I can go to work in DC.

My younger brother is finishing up a mech engineering degree on the state's dime right now, completely free because he's on unemployment. His earlier credits date back to the seventies. So if he gets a job, he's forced to quit school I suppose? Or is he now free to ignore requirements to seek and be available for work? Pretty crazy times.

Natalie
03-07-2009, 08:44 AM
*facepalm*