PDA

View Full Version : School History Project

thehighwaymanq
03-04-2009, 05:39 PM
So I have a research paper about a topic on anything from the Revolution to 1900. So i submitted the topic "The truth about Lincoln" and he said I couldn't do anything on a specifc person- no biographies.

So now I'm stuck- I want to do something that is out of the norm but have no ideas?

Help a friend out?

NYgs23
03-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Maybe the history of corporatism in America: tracing from Alexander Hamilton and the American School through Henry Clay and the American System through to Lincoln with the railroads and so forth. You cold talk about internal improvements, the central banks, tariffs, even the patent office.

specialkornflake
03-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Rise and fall of Central Banks through the period.

thehighwaymanq
03-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Oh, and it's just U.S.

I'm in U.S. History I

Epic
03-04-2009, 05:51 PM
The true causes of the civil war?

Actually I like the central banks idea. That was actually the biggest political debate of the 19th century from what I've heard.

thehighwaymanq
03-04-2009, 05:52 PM
The true causes of the civil war?

Oh thats pretty good. And I can incorporate the Lincoln stuff in there too right?

See, I always have heard about Lincoln and read little things here and there but never really attacked the topic to read a book.

dannno
03-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Rise and fall of Central Banks through the period.

This.

History of the banks.

See The Money Masters, it has tons of material from that time period. The primary reason for the Revolution, according to Ben Franklin, was that they wouldn't let the colonies create their own currency and they were being forced into debt by England. Jefferson was against a Central Bank and Alexander Hamilton was for it. Originally, we did not have one, but we had two before 1900, the second was abolished by Andrew Jackson.

That is the problem with schools, they never teach banking history, for obvious reasons.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-515319560256183936

If you can get past the finger shaking in the first 20-30 minutes you should be good. There are a lot of illustrations and such when they start getting into the actual history.

thehighwaymanq
03-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks. Both are good ideas. I'm probably leaning towards the Civil War one but ill think about both.

Thanks!

Epic
03-04-2009, 06:06 PM
if you like the civil war idea, then you can tie in lincoln. The basic premise should just be to debunk the whole "civil war was about slavery" which is crap.

thehighwaymanq
03-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Beautiful! Then there it is!

"The true causes of the Civil War"

Now- anybody got any quick links on it? Ha sorry im a pain.

dannno
03-04-2009, 06:22 PM
meh, I learned in school that slavery was not the true cause of Civil War. Didn't learn shit about the banks though.

Athan
03-04-2009, 06:47 PM
So I have a research paper about a topic on anything from the Revolution to 1900. So i submitted the topic "The truth about Lincoln" and he said I couldn't do anything on a specifc person- no biographies.

So now I'm stuck- I want to do something that is out of the norm but have no ideas?

Help a friend out?

1. Why government intervention in the market by the McKinley Tariffs caused the boom and bust of the railroad industry and created the panic of 1893.

thehighwaymanq
03-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Bump for links about true causes of Civil War

constituent
03-04-2009, 07:58 PM

Help a friend out?

Here's a title for you:

Democracy and the Death of the Republic

If you're interested we can hash out some ideas (history is kinda "my thing")

constituent
03-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Beautiful! Then there it is!

"The true causes of the Civil War"

Ahh, n/m.

Learning is half the battle.

What do you believe the causes to be? Write down your answers, and then begin to challenge their underlying assumptions.

Feel free to use the internets... Go!

thehighwaymanq
03-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Here's a title for you:

Democracy and the Death of the Republic

If you're interested we can hash out some ideas (history is kinda "my thing")

Now that sounds like something!

But it can only be up to 1900.

constituent
03-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Now that sounds like something!

But it can only be up to 1900.

Even better, start at the beginning. By the time you get anywhere near that era, you'll probably be up against your word count.

Just make your closing paragraph one that briefly alludes to the changes of the twentieth century, maybe even just a sentence (a really good sentence).

thehighwaymanq
03-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Even better, start at the beginning. By the time you get anywhere near that era, you'll probably be up against your word count.

Just make your closing paragraph one that briefly alludes to the changes of the twentieth century, maybe even just a sentence (a really good sentence).

What are like some legit examples I can use?

constituent
03-04-2009, 08:25 PM
What are like some legit examples I can use?

what's it pay?

thehighwaymanq
03-05-2009, 05:57 AM
what's it pay?

I just don't get what events and things I would use for "Democracy and Death of the Republic"

kathy88
03-05-2009, 06:25 AM
public education at its finest

powerofreason
03-05-2009, 08:06 AM
You could definitely do the Civil War as a way to sneak in some stuff about Lincoln. Like how he took psychiatric medication containing large amounts of mercury, how he caused the war, how he was basically a psychotic sociopath tyrant, etc, etc.