PDA

View Full Version : help yourself self-actualize :)

heavenlyboy34
03-04-2009, 04:24 PM
I find that many here have allowed their reliance on government and the State to prevent them from reaching their full potential. :( Being the kind and gracious guy I am, I am giving you this guide to help you on your way to sounder mental health and independence from onerous institutions. :)

http://psikoloji.fisek.com.tr/maslow/self.htm
EIGHT WAYS TO SELF ACTUALIZE

Experience things fully, vividly, selflessly. Throw yourself into the experiencing of something: concentrate on it fully, let it totally absorb you.
Life is an ongoing process of choosing between safety (out of fear and need for defense) and risk (for the sake of progress and growth): Make the growth choice a dozen times a day.
Let the self emerge. Try to shut out the external clues as to what you should think, feel, say, and so on, and let your experience enable you to say what you truly feel.
When in doubt, be honest. If you look into yourself and are honest, you will also take responsibility. Taking responsibility is self-actualizing.
Listen to your own tastes. Be prepared to be unpopular.
Use your intelligence, work to do well the things you want to do, no matter how insignificant they seem to be.
Make peak experiencing more likely: get rid of illusions and false notions. Learn what you are good at and what your potentialities are not.
Find out who you are, what you are, what you like and don't like, what is good and what is bad for you, where you are going, what your mission is. Opening yourself up to yourself in this way means identifying defenses--and then finding the courage to give them up.

SELF ACTUALIZATION Maslow (1954), believed that man has a natural drive to healthiness, or self actualization. He believed that man has basic, (biological and psychological) needs that have to be fulfilled in order to be free enough to feel the desire for the higher levels of realization. He also believed that the organism has the natural, unconscious and innate capacity to seek its needs. (Maslow 1968)
In other words, man has an internal, natural, drive to become the best possible person he can be.

"...he has within him a pressure toward unity of personality, toward spontaneous expressiveness, toward full individuality and identity, toward seeing the truth rather than being blind, toward being creative, toward being good, and a lot else. That is, the human being is so constructed that he presses toward what most people would call good values, toward serenity, kindness, courage, honesty, love, unselfishness, and goodness." (Maslow, 1968, p. 155.) Maslow believed that not only does the organism know what it needs to eat to maintain itself healthy, but also man knows intuitively what he needs to become the best possible, mentally healthy and happy "being". I use the word "being" because Maslow goes far beyond what the average person considers good physical and mental health. He talked about higher consciousness, esthetic and peak experiences, and Being. He stressed the importance of moral and ethical behavior that will lead man naturally to discovering, becoming himself.
"The state of being without a system of values is psychopathogenic, we are learning. The human being needs a framework of values, a philosophy of life, a religion or religion-surrogate to live by and understand by, in about the same sense he needs sunlight, calcium or love. This I have called the "cognitive need to understand." The value- illnesses which result from valuelessness are called variously anhedonia, anomie, apathy, amorality, hopelessness, cynicism, etc., and can become somatic illness as well. Historically, we are in a value interregnum in which all externally given value systems have proven failures (political, economic, religious, etc.) e.g., nothing is worth dying for. What man needs but doesn't have, he seeks for unceasingly, and he becomes dangerously ready to jump at any hope, good or bad. The cure for this disease is obvious. We need a validated, usable system of human values that we can believe in and devote ourselves to (be willing to die for), because they are true rather than because we are exhorted to "believe and have faith." Such an empirically based Weltanschauung seems now to be a real possibility, at least in theoretical outline." (Maslow, 1968, p. 206.) Morality then is natural. If we use our capacity to think, are honest, sincere and open, we arrive at moral and ethical behavior naturally. The problem is to not destroy our ability to become ourselves.
"Pure spontaneity consists of free, uninhibited uncontrolled, trusting, unpremeditated expression of the self, i.e., of the psychic forces, with minimal interference by consciousness. Control, will, caution, self-criticism, measure, deliberateness are the brakes upon this expression made intrinsically necessary by the laws of the social and natural world, and secondarily, made necessary by the fear of the psyche itself." (1968, p. 197.) To me, this means listening to the inner self, the unconscious, the spirit.
"This ability of healthier people to dip into the unconscious and preconscious, to use and value their primary processes instead of fearing them, to accept their impulses instead of always controlling them, to be able to regress voluntarily without fear, turns out to be one of the main conditions of creativity." "This development toward the concept of a healthy unconscious and of a healthy irrationality, sharpens our awareness of the limitations of purely abstract thinking, of verbal thinking and of analytic thinking. If our hope is to describe the world fully, a place is necessary for preverbal, ineffable, metaphorical, primary process, concrete-experience, intuitive and esthetic types of cognition, for there are certain aspects of reality which can be cognized in no other way." (p. 208)
Meditation, self-hypnosis, imagery and the like are sources of discovering our inner being. To become self-actualized, Maslow said we need two things, inner exploration and action.
"An important existential problem is posed by the fact that self-actualizing persons (and all people in their peak- experiences) occasionally live out-of-time and out-of-the- world (atemporal and aspatial) even though mostly they must live in the outer world. Living in the inner psychic world (which is ruled by psychic laws and not by the laws of outer-reality), i.e., the world of experience, of emotion, of wishes and fears and hopes, of love of poetry, art and fantasy, is different from living in and adapting to the non-psychic reality which runs by laws he never made and which are not essential to his nature even though he has to live by them. (He could, after all, live in other kinds of worlds, as any science fiction fan knows.) The person who is not afraid of this inner, psychic world, can enjoy it to such an extent that it may be called Heaven by contrast with the more effortful, fatiguing, externally responsible world of "reality," of striving and coping, of right and wrong, of truth and falsehood. This is true even though the healthier person can also adapt more easily and enjoyably to the "real" world, and has better "reality testing," i.e., doesn't confuse it with his inner psychic world." (p. 213) Maslow has made a case for natural, human goodness. Man is basically good, not evil, he has the capacity to be an efficient, healthy and happy person. But he must nurture the capacity with awareness, honesty, introspection and maintain his freedom: to freely respond to internal and external events (values), to be himself at all costs. The knowledge that man has this capacity motivates him to realize it. It also obliges him to actively work toward self realization. We cannot not respond to the call that a value makes on us. This whole discussion shows the importance of studying Values and Ethics. We are obliged to discover the range of our possible moral behavior. If we are capable of being healthy and happy, then we are obliged to work toward that goal.

Truth Warrior
03-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Hey, I'm a big Maslow fan too, grasshoppa. ;) What are the odds? :D

heavenlyboy34
03-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Hey, I'm a big Maslow fan too, grasshoppa. ;) What are the odds? :D

Probably pretty astronomical! :eek: My mum's adopted, so maybe you're related to me somehow via her birth family. :) Are you part Scottish, by chance? :confused:

Truth Warrior
03-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Probably pretty astronomical! :eek: My mum's adopted, so maybe you're related to me somehow via her birth family. :) Are you part Scottish, by chance? :confused: Aye, Laddie. ;) Irish and English too. :D

heavenlyboy34
03-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Aye, Laddie. ;) Irish and English too. :D

Any relation to the Lucas clan, lad? :D;) We might be distantly related in some odd way. :eek::)

Truth Warrior
03-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Any relation to the Lucas clan, lad? :D;) We might be distantly related in some odd way. :eek::) Not that I'm aware of, but who knows, besides the Mormons? :D Part of my ancestors came over on the next ship after the Mayflower, so I've been told. ;)

heavenlyboy34
03-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Not that I'm aware of, but who knows, besides the Mormons? :D Part of my ancestors came over on the next ship after the Mayflower, so I've been told. ;)

Maybe ancestry.com knows? ;) I don't have the extra cash on hand to ask them. :(

Truth Warrior
03-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Per Maslow, folks usually need to work their way up the hierarchy of human needs from the bottom up to the self-actualization peak. It takes a while, and slippage back down happens, depending on changing life circumstances .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Maslow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Maslow)

lucius
03-04-2009, 06:15 PM
//

Truth Warrior
03-04-2009, 06:19 PM
maslow was week, just need a weapon and the will to use it...good things happen to good people...right? Level 3. :D

steve005
03-05-2009, 07:52 PM
bump!

zach
03-05-2009, 08:02 PM
sweet.

get some humanistic theories up in here!

my favorite side of psychology. :D

heavenlyboy34
03-05-2009, 08:38 PM
sweet.

get some humanistic theories up in here!

my favorite side of psychology. :D
you're welcome! I hope it has helped you. :D;)

lucius
03-06-2009, 05:22 AM
Level 3. :D

agree

Truth Warrior
03-06-2009, 06:47 AM
agree

:cool: :D That moves you to Level 4. ;)

Kraig
03-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Nice! I need to read more from this guy.

heavenlyboy34
03-06-2009, 10:59 AM

As do many Americans. ;):D Thanks for reading it, and I'm glad you liked it. :)

Truth Warrior
03-06-2009, 11:04 AM

You may want to start here. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Maslow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Maslow)

Kraig
03-06-2009, 12:47 PM
You know it also flies in the face of pretty much everything I was taught with my christian upbringing, I often wonder what I would be doing right now if I was taught this stuff as a kid from parents who also understood it. That is something I really look forward to if I ever have children.

heavenlyboy34
03-06-2009, 12:50 PM
You know it also flies in the face of pretty much everything I was taught with my christian upbringing, I often wonder what I would be doing right now if I was taught this stuff as a kid from parents who also understood it. That is something I really look forward to if I ever have children.

How so(if I may ask)? :confused: I didn't notice anything of that nature when I read it.

Truth Warrior
03-06-2009, 12:58 PM
How so(if I may ask)? :confused: I didn't notice anything of that nature when I read it. Christianity teaches, preaches and says that people are evil and sinners. To Maslow and others, that is false.

"Psychology" ( so called ) has derived it's major base of "knowledge" ( so called ) from experiencing and studying the MINORITY of "sick" people and NOT the "healthy" MAJORITY ones. :p :(

Kraig
03-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Yeah, what TW said. That aspect of Christianity may be subtle/non-existent to some people, but it was fundamental to what I was taught. Then on top of that all literature in school was filtered through that Christian worldview and anything that was considered too detrimental to that view was banned - so as a student you rarely if ever would hear the flip side of the argument. For example people like Ayn Rand and Carl Sagan were flat out evil and should be avoided at all costs. I remember learning that in middle school! The worst part was I believed it for so long.

akihabro
03-08-2009, 12:15 PM
One of my ways to self actualize is posting on this forum :-)